Pelvic ultrasound!!

Hi guys, before I start going on about my problem I just want to thank all the wonderful people who helped me with my last post. I am extremely grateful! :) I have been back to see a female doctor and she's told me to go for the pelvic ultrasound and then she'll think about sending me for a lap to see if I do have endo for definite! I feel more at ease now, still in so much pain though! :( But seriously thank you all so much!! :)

Anyway, this pelvic scan that I'm going for on the 10th December... The letter that has come through says that it can be done either internally or externally.. Any advice on the internal ultrasound? Does it hurt? That's the main thing I'm worried about and also do you bleed or anything like that after its done? I've never had anything like this done before and now the date is getting closer I'm getting more worried! Thankyou :)

12 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi Chloe,

It's so good to hear that you're getting somewhere and the advice helped!

I've had an external and internal scan - the internal is nothing to worry about, I didn't have any bleeding or pain at all afterwards.

It doesn't hurt at the time either, just a bit uncomfortable, I guess because nerves make us tighten up a bit. Just try to relax as much as you can because it's a good way for them to check your ovaries.

If you're not sexually active it might be more uncomfortable, but nothing like endo pain I can assure you! Good luck and don't panic :) xxx

• Thankyou for replying :) hopefully I will get somewhere having this scan done!xxx

• Heya, I had both and I think both are good to do definitely. Just to prepare you and definitely not wanting to scare you the pelvic examination is rather uncomfortable but for me it wasn't overly painful at the time but it was painful for like a day or 2 afterwards. It was like a dull ache. Xx

• Thankyou :) xx

• I had a transvaginal (internal) ultrasound prior to diagnosis and it was no problem at all. I didn't have any pain as it was being done and no pain after. It was done very quickly and discretely and helped to give a clearer view of what was going on inside than the external scan did.

Try not to worry about it, I'm sure it will be absolutely fine X

• Hi Chloe!

I have recently been going through pain and am due to have a laparoscopy soon!

Before that I have had numerous pelvic scans, internal and external! The only issue I had with them is I drank so so much before I literally almost wet myself when she was pressing down on my stomach! So drink plenty but not so much you want to burst!

With regards to the internal one, it can be slightly uncomfortable and feel very deep but apart from that it really isn't that bad!

Good luck xx

• I'm so hoping to go for a laparoscopy in the new year! I've been advised to drink 2 pints of water so hopefully I will cope with that haha :) Thankyou and good luck with your laparoscopy :) xx

• I've had both these regularly since my lap to keep an eye on my ovarian cysts. The external is fine - you just really need the toilet (they do this first and let you go before the internal). The internal is uncomfortable but not painful - it's one of those things that I'd rather not have done but it serves a purpose and doesn't last that long. You won't bleed with it or anything. My next scan is also 10th December - good luck!

• I guess it's more of an annoyance then an actual pain by what I've read up. At least it'll get me a bit further with the doctors after I've had it done. Thankyou for replying and good luck for the 10th :) x

• You should be aware that they can only really see ovarian cysts with the ultrasound so if you don't have those they might not see anything. I hope they don't as the cysts are a pain (literally)! Good luck.

• My auntie suffers with endo herself and has been for nearly 20 years and she said they sent her for so many of the ultrasounds and they never picked anything up because it never shows the endo when having them done, 7 years later they sent her for a lap and that's when she found out she had endo. I'm hoping I won't have to wait 7+ years before I get sent for a lap. Thankyou again x

• I had this letter they never even did an internal

You may also like...