Endometriosis UK
34,822 members31,041 posts

Looking for advice


When I was 19, I had a cyst on my ovary that burst and almost killed me. Since then, I have been admitted to hospital numerous times with severe pains. I've had cameras up and down more than once, and in the end the hospital said it was IBS. I'm not convinced though, as I completed food diaries, etc, and never came up with anything resembling a pattern. The IBS medication I was prescribed also didn't work in the slightest. It took me 8 years to conceive our first child, and I had numerous tests (including a dye test and an internal ultrasound), that showed nothing. My aunty commented the other day that she had read an article in a magazine and she thinks it could possibly be endometriosis, so I'm wondering if someone could give me some advice. Some of the issues I have are as follows: Very heavy periods, and very painful to the point where I can't bend over because of the pain in my pubic area during my period, back pain, terrible acne / lumps along my jawline, cheeks and in my hair, and severe migraines. Does this sound like it could be it? I don't know if my doctor will take me seriously, or just say it's hormonal. The signs / symptoms seem to have become worse since I had my second baby last year. I'm 35 years old. Any help / advice appreciated.

2 Replies

Hi - your symptoms certainly are sufficient for endo to be suspected and investigated. IBS is the most common misdiagnosis for endometriosis as a very common place for it is between the back of the uterus and the bowel which, when inflamed at period time, causes inflammation and irritation to the bowel. If this is left untreated you can have symptoms at any time of the month to include back pain, pain on sex, bowel problems and leg pain. Endo involves hormone imbalance and skin problems and migraines are typical of this. It is also common for symptoms to worsen after pregnancy. You probably get tired too as endo is an autoimmune related condition and fatigue is common.

When you go to your GP get straight to the point and tell him/her your symptoms and say that you want endo investigating. You don't say if you are on birth control medication which would be the usual first approach. If you are in England or Wales the protocol for suspected endo is covered by the NICE guidelines and it is your choice if you want to take hormone meds or have a laparoscopy first to confirm a diagnosis. This is best done in a specialist centre as endo is often missed in general gynaecology and it is best to start off with the right kind of consultant. This is the link to the guidelines:


If you are in England you have more freedom as to treatment under NHS Choices. Click on my name and look at my post on how to find a specialist centre. x


Thank you. I'm in England, and not on any birth control. And yes, you're right. I'm exhausted most of the time, but put that down to the children and my job. I'll try and make an appointment at my doctor and ask them to check it out x

1 like

You may also like...