Endometriosis UK
37,512 members32,949 posts

Hello all. I'm new and my question is a little different!

I'm 53 now, but I was diagnosed with endometriosis when I was 19. I had a terrible 20 years, 6 operations. Numerous courses of all different types of hormones. Some very experimental ones too.

I then had an early menapause at 39. Then came the other problems! When that was finally over, I had to have my thyroid removed due to large growths. (connected?)

So...I'm on an even road now, with all of that behind me. But I started getting familiar pains down below. Sort of like period pains. And it's been a long time since I had one of them!

Eventually, got a scan done, and I'm told my endometrium is enlarged to 8mm. And that no ivestigation would be done unless the measurement was 11mm!

My question really is....if I had so many endometriosis related problems, would I be more likely to get endometriol cancer?

Got myself a little worried!

3 Replies

Hi - It is documented that endometriosis might be linked to a very small increased risk of various cancers but it is not considered significant. But as with other female cancers menopause raises the risk. If I were you I wouldn't mess about as if there were a slight chance that you might have it then you need it dealt with. There would normally be bleeding and I assume you haven't had this or you would have mentioned it so even if there was a chance you would catch it whilst still in the uterus and have a hysterectomy. Telling you that you have a thickened endometrium but following it through by telling you can't have it investigated until it is thicker is ridiculous and of course has now worried you.

I have looked at the NHS Choices website and on the endometrial cancer section it says:

'If the results of the TVU detect changes in the thickness of the lining of the uterus, you will usually have a biopsy to confirm the diagnosis. In a biopsy, a small sample of cells is taken from the lining of the womb (the endometrium). The sample is then checked at a laboratory for the presence of cancerous cells.'

I should ask the hospital first to give you the reference to NHS protocol that confirms you cannot be investigated further and can't have a biopsy done. If they come up with some sort of firm evidence then honestly I would just get yourself to a private consultant as soon as you can. I don't imagine this would be a hugely costly procedure. How does the NHS expect you to carry on thinking about your endometrium growing whilst refusing to do anything about it?



Thankyou for that. I lived all of my adult life in Germany, returning to the UK 3 years ago. I know that they would have done something there. I will go back and see what they say. It is like living with a ticking bomb.

There has been no bleeding. The doctor in the hospital asked what I wanted from the visit, I said, well, to investigate further. Thats when he told me. He said, 'I know it sounds harsh!'


Hello again Can I just add an update.....I went to the doctor today, to say that I wasn't happy with the gynos response to my problems. I added that I had a lot of pain in my right kidney and that I had noticed small blood clots when I wee. ( But not every time) So now he's reffered me back to the hospital for a gyno visit and a urologist refferal. Which I supose is good, but now I'm more worried then ever! Could it all be connected? Or coincidence?


You may also like...