Severe Endometriosis. Words of advice?

Hi there,

I'm 20 years old and have been diagnosed with severe endometriosis.

I had my laparoscopy on Saturday (6th), which revealed I had two large kissing cysts, one on each ovary. The surgeon said the cysts were stuck to the back of my uterus and also to my bowel, which sounds like a big mess! Luckily, the surgery was successful and my ovaries remained intact.

All of this happened particularly quickly for me as I was referred to a private hospital. I was wondering whether someone could advise me on steps I can take to avoid further pain and surgery in the future? I have an appointment with my consultant to discuss options (diet, contraception etc), but thought it would also be good to get advise from people who have first hand experience!

3 Replies

• Hi

I too was diagnosed by emergency surgery, with stage 4 endometriosis at the age of 20, I'm now 23.

I know what a shock it is and how hard it can be to come to terms with the diagnosis.

I wish I could give you some better advice but I have had to have 3 further surgeries and am still trying to manage my pain. I think treatment and pain management are very individual. I would suggest maybe asking if you can be referred to a pain management clinic to help with pain.

Hang in there and try to stay positive :) x

• Have a look into the "Endo diet" a quick google will give you a general idea. Basically it's cutting out certain foods out of your diet, such as Wheat, dairy, alcohol, sugar, caffeine. I know it doesn't work for some ladies but for me personally cutting out wheat alone has dramatically improved my symptoms, so I'd recommend it to everyone to try. Well worth having a look into xx

• You need to be referred to an endometriosis surgeon who will perform excision surgery to cut out endometriosis.

You may also like...