Oestrogen dominant ?

Hi there, I've recently been diagnosed with endo and I have done a little research (still lots to do), and I have read that endo sufferers are oestrogen dominant, is this the case? My 1 year old is currently under a paediatrician for premature theralcre (early onset of breast buds) and they have told me this is more than likely oestrogen passed on from me - she was born with the breast buds but they've continued to develop. I guess my question is - am I oestrogen dominant because I have endo? And is there a high possibility my daughter will have the disease? X

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Good question!

I'm v interested & feel my reply may be from an intriguing angle, but sorry, I don't have THE answer....and I'm vvv much looking forward to the replies you get!

What I can tell you is that some of us are oestrogen dominant because we were exposed to an artificial oestrogen in utero. The oestrogen is named DES, short for Diethylstilbestrol. Our mothers took it during pregnancy because drs thought it could prevent miscarriages...turned out, DES doesn't. Instead, exposure causes birth defects of the reproductive organs in both DES daughters & sons. Also, it causes a rare and deadly form of vaginal cancer. Many of us are infertile because of DES, including me...and many of us have endo, including me.

DES is considered the "silent thalidomide" because our birth defects are mostly internal, so unseen. But, even so, these defects are severe and disabling.

Studies are being done to see if the children of DES daughters & sons are also experiencing problems.

Most of us DES daughters & sons are middle aged & older, because its dangers were spotted & publicised in the early '70s, reducing prescribing gradually over following years. Many of those who have been DES exposed don't even know they have been...especially here in the uk where DES wasn't as widely prescribed as in the USA, holland, Australia etc. I often wonder how many here on forum have endo because of DES, like me.

I know I was exposed in utero for many months in the USA because my family was aware & had me checked out by several gyns when the DES defects hit international headlines. I moved to the uk in '78 and since then no nhs dr or consultant has ever admitted even knowing DES exists.....that is, until things changed several years ago when I found out from the nhs & my aged mother that i have infant onset systemic lupus - which has gone without treatment all my life (except for emergenicies...and even then the nhs didn't recognise the lupus itself

I'm now finally in treatment for lupus, feeling better than I have since the '70s. I'm 60. It is thought that oestrogen is part of the cause of lupus...many more women get lupus than men. several of my consultants now tell me they think DES probably has caused most of my health probs.

Several years ago, right after i finally was (re) diagnosed with lupus, the nhs gyn clinic I attend for Lichen Sclerosus treatment suddenly called me in for DES daughter exams and told me the nhs now has a DES monitoring protocol! The other day at rheumatology clinic, a med student told me that they are all lectured on environmental oestrogen effects, and vvvvv aware of DES now because interest in environmental oestrogen exposure is so great! I'm glad I've lived long enough to learn this! Now the nhs gives me annual DES exams.

You can google DES ( Diethylstilbestrol) for more info. I believe DES was developed by a famous brit scientist back in the 30s....the poor man was horrified when drug companies picked it up & encouraged gyns to prescribe it widely. i also understand that DES is also in the food chain because it's used on cows....argh. But, as you'll know, there are many other causes of oestrogen exposure in our day to day environment....

I could go on & on....this subject is close to me heart...certainly, I find the more I understand about why my health has been so dodgy all my life, the better I cope and the more help I get from my drs.....

I hope something in all this is useful to you.....sorry for going off subject somewhat

With every best wish to you & your daughter

XO

• I am not oestrogen dominant, I'm testosterone dominant. I don't think there is always a reason and I don't think you should blame yourself. There's nothing you could have done differently. I've also read that fast food and stress can cause faster development and I'm sure your daughter hasn't experienced either of these things. This is horrible and scary for you I realise and I wish your daughter all the best in coming through this. Sadly there is an increased chance your daughter will have endo because it is currently believed that endo is genetic but this isn't anything to worry about now. It doesn't have to affect her. I have that hope for my daughter but I also know that she won't have to take any crap from doctors like I did if she does have it. I don't know about your family but my mum doesn't have it and nor do my sisters but my aunt has it and my cousins from a different aunt do too. All the best to you and your baby girl xxx

• Thank you for the replies ladies x my mum has polycystic ovaries and my sister's been diagnosed with dysmenorrhea - she's very similar to me, so now that I've been diagnosed she's going to request a laparoscopy. My nan had severe period pain but was never diagnosed as it wasn't hear of years ago. I think you're right, if my daugher does have it at least she won't be messed around for 18 years like I've been (I started my periods when I was 11 - I used to collapse in school with the pains and was put on the pill for a long time) xx

Thanks barnclown that's a lot of very interesting info! I'll have to google about DES as I've not heard of it :) x x

• Hi, I've been doing some research into the role of different hormones in the disease process. From what I gather, being oestrogen dominant can increase the chances of endometriosis. I also have ovarian cysts and endosalpingiosis. So far I have had one laparoscopy to remove the cyst and ablate the endometriosis and endosalpingiosis. I've been looking at conservative ways to manage my conditions. I am currently in the process of doing some hormone metabolite tests to see what's going on with my endocrine system, once I get the results back I will be given advice on diet and supplementation to reduce the possibility of regrowth and also to control pain and symptoms.

I've also been reading about DIM (Diindolylmethane) and how it helps to break down oestrogen into safer by-products. DIM is a compound found in cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower etc). This is a route I am looking into but will wait until the results come back from my hormone metabolites test and my post test consult before I start with supplements. For the time being I will increase my cruciferous vegetable intake. Here is an interesting article I found, it's a bit long but informative: freepatentsonline.com/66893...

You may also like...