When's the best time to try for a baby?

I've just had my lap so I don't know where or how bad my endo is but it was there and it was removed.

I'm 22 and wondering about my chances of having a family.

From everyone's experience when's the best time to try? Am I best to try now after the endo has been removed or is safe to wait a few years and try then.

I would like more than one as well. It's all so terrifying and doctors aren't much help!

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • You're young so in theory have plenty of time & I'd hate to tell you go for it now, but in my experience, endo does come back. I've had 3 laps now, am 40 & still trying for my first baby. I don't regret not trying till my 30s, as I have had a great career & wouldn't change it but you should be aware that if you leave it for some years, there is a chance your endo may be back & you may need another lap.

But endo does not necessary mean infertility; depends on where it is, how severe etc. there is a good chance it may not affect your fertility at all!

• The general guideline is to try within 6 months of a lap op - because ideally you want to try and prevent endo growing again and causing a fresh batch of adhesions. So after an you have recovered from the surgery (a few weeks) then it is the best time to try.

Having said that, if you are not in a stable position to have one yet - financially, emotionally, physically etc then don't have one just out of fear that it will be your last chance.

That is not a good enough excuse. You need to be in the best possible shape to contemplate motherhood. It is hard enough to cope with for healthy mums - and can be a real struggle when you also have a long term chronic illness too.

You will need support from aunts and grandmas at times so if you don't live near extended family at the moment then that is also an issue to think about.

If you are not yet ready then you must take steps to reduce the risk of endo returning by reducing or stopping your periods so there is little or no risk of endo spreading from backflow of menstrual tissue and bleeds along the fallopian tubes.

Back to back BC pills or mirena coil can both help with this.

Find out from the surgeon where the endo was found. because that too can have a bearing on the situation. if it was nowhere near threatening your tubes or ovaries then you have less of a threat to future fertility. for example the endo may hve been on the peritoneum or appendix or bowel and no where near preventing the safe journey of an ova to the uterus.

If the endo was on or next to ovary or tubes then was it only on one side or both?

Again this gives you some measure of how threatening the endo is to your future chances if it does regrow in the same location because they didn't remove a deep endo lesions only taking the top layers back.

Forthe time bing though - concentrate on recovery from the op. Then your follow up appointment with the gynae to find out where the endo was located and discuss what measures you want to take to reduce your periods while you ponder on trying for a baby.

• From my experience, I would recommend trying as soon as youv healed. Me & my partner are still trying to conceive after 3 years. Im 26, I had a cyst & endo removed 13 months ago but iv just found out a cyst has returned also I can feel endo again and still we r yet to conceive. It is such a heart breaking experience to go through, and every month the dissapointment of not catching is heart wrenching , we would love to be a family more than anything. I feel time is against me somedays. its better now than never :-) xx

You may also like...