How long did it take to recover from laparoscopy removal?

I had a laparoscopy on the 18th where they removed the endometriosis with laser. I returned to work today and I am in agony. I was advised that I could return to work after 2 days but that was when they thought it was only a diagnostic laparoscopy. I don't know if I should be off work longer and what to expect. I wasn't given any information about what to expect or how to deal with all of this. Please help! I feel like in drowning!!

8 Replies

• Sorry to hear that you had a rough first day back at work. I had a lap back in January with some endo removed. I was advised to take 3-4 weeks off to recover and I found that I needed most of that time. Maybe a call to your GP to see if you can arrange a sick note for work would be a good idea? I think 2 days is way too early and I know I couldn't have managed it. Look after yourself and wishing you a speedy recovery

• Thank you for your reply! My body was telling me that I wasn't ready but being 22 you tend to listen to everyone else. My mother seems to think that I should be back at work and because you can't see anything wrong I'm fine. I'm going to phone my doctor tomorrow and go in an see them. I'm also concerned about one of my wounds to. They have stitched me in such a way that I have been left with a pinch in my skin and it's very red and still weeping, especially after work today. Thank you again for you reply!

• Hi Steph - I had my first lap to remove endo just over two weeks ago. I was advised by the surgeon that recovery would be 1-2 weeks so i pushed myself to get out and about even though my body was telling me otherwise - i ended up making myself worse. This is my third week off work and today is the first day I can honestly say I've started to feel better (taking less pain killers anyway). Take it easy and I hope you feel better soon.

• Hi steph I had a lap and some endo removed back in January. The surgeon told me three full weeks rest and to take it a day at a time after that. So you probably do need more time to recover and heal. I know I needed the first few weeks of doing very little other than pottering about the house and short walks outside.

Be kind to yourself and don't feel bad for needing more time to recover.

Take care X

• Hello

I was back after 3 days, but u had a second lap to treat that took 6 hours and I had extensive excision and took 10 days off, 3 of which they kept me in hospital x

• Hey, i had a lap last may to get rid of stage 4 endo, i found it took a good 4 weeks to start doing day to day things and 6 weeks before i was walking long distances, carrying shopping home and playing in the park with my son, also one of my stitches didnt heal as well as the others, and left me with a bigger scar, but get it checked out, to rule infection out xx

• Hi I had a lap last week and they removed endo and I was signed of for 2 weeks, it took me at least a week to be able to move around comfortably.

• Thank you all for your advice. I went to the doctor and he signed me off for a week. He said all the symptoms were signs that my body needed more time to recover!!

Thank you all so much for the advice and support!

You may also like...