Sorry for the delay in posting this update, but since I had to stop and remove the sensor from 6-13-2021 last night late after dinner, I didn't have the chance to type this up sooner. When I changed the old sensor and stopped it for the 15 minutes before inserting the newest one, I waited to see if the readings would come back and stay longer than two times. Unfortunately, since there were readings, but they hadn't stayed, I had to change them and then call for a free new sensor to be sent to me.
When I got in touch with a Rep. about the sensor not working correctly, I was told that they would send it out and the new sensor should be here between 3-5 days. Since it was 10 pm at the time, the new sensor's warm up period took until 12:30 am until there were any readings. This was because by the time I got everything taken care of and done on the phone, the insertion time was at 10:30 pm. Each time you insert a new sensor, it takes two hours to warm up before getting any readings to show up.
This morning, when I woke up first thing, my blood sugar was 79 mg/dl and the receiver said I was 80 ->. I had a mini snack before breakfast and the numbers went up slightly, but then came back down by the time lunch was ready to be prepared and eaten.