Type 1 Diabetic in need of weight los... - Diabetes Research...

Diabetes Research & Wellness Foundation
5,152 members1,172 posts

Type 1 Diabetic in need of weight loss advise

J111GRM
J111GRM
21 Replies

Hi guys.

I’m Jill 39 from County Durham. I’m in need of a lot of help in loosing weight. I’ve tried WW and Slimming World but no luck. Would be forever great full on help with this. Happy Saturday!! 😃

21 Replies
oldestnewest
Koalajane

Hi, have you tried the low carb high fat diet? I am type 2, but it helped me lose 3 stone. Good luck.

1 like
Activity2004
Activity2004Administrator

Have you talked to your doctor about changing your diet/exercise routine? Here is a free leaflet on Diabetes, Exercise and Diet. Go to: drwf.org.uk/understanding-d...

I hope this helps. :-)

J111GRM

Thank you x

1 like
Activity2004
in reply to J111GRM

You're welcome! Please show the leaflets to your doctor when you have your next appointment. :-)

StillConcerned

Keep your carbohydrate to the equivalent of about 18 teaspoons of sugar per day phcuk.org/nice , adjusting your insulin accordingly.

Eat a higher proportion of natural fat, mainly monounsaturates such as eggs, avocado, olives and nuts.

hawii60

Are you diabetic? Would like to know how you have controlled your weight loss and how often your cholesterol levels have been tested . I overcompensated with fats in cheese milk

but when you find out you are dairy egg ,multigrain, rice and maize intolerant you realise how much dairy contributes to lactose milk sugar. Increasing proteins with steaks and meat can increase a type of enzyme resistance along with lipase and amylase. The family history of heart attacks and atheroma due to high fat runs in the family reducing dairy and using olive oil, and coconut oil sparingly has helped but if I climb on the saturated fat band wagon, I am ill. I would love to eat double cream and all those luscious foods I have had to cut out

to help my health!

2 likes
J111GRM
J111GRM
in reply to hawii60

Yes I am type 1 have been for 35 years. My cholesterol is 5.5 at the min and hba1c 52 last time it was checked I’m back next week to have it done again. I’ve never had issues in weight loss previously but now it just won’t budge

hawii60
hawii60
in reply to J111GRM

Do you think this age or gender associated or may be an undiagnosed thyroid problem. If it is due to metabolic syndrome where you are finding it hard to lose any weight at all, then finding out if you are dairy egg or grain intolerant may help you lose weight. If you have blood tests for celiac disease, you may find out you have another autoimmune disease which may be affecting your weight in addition to your diabetes. I was lucky and had a food intolerance test which highlighted foods which were affecting digestion and encouraging distension. Kick starting your metabolism may be helped with checking B12 and folates which help accelerate metabolism and further tests with doctor. I don't like these tests so avoid them ha!

StillConcerned

The very measures we were told to undertake, namely cutting fat from meat, having reduced fat dairy, eating little and often demand more insulin.

It is the visceral fat from these and eating too much carbohydrate that cause the atheroma.

Too much protein too is easily converted to glucose with harmful side products including ammonia and urea for the body to attempt to cope with.

My family history is also plagued with heart attacks/stroke, but I had a CAC scan that proved I don't have any because I limit my carbs and have adequate natural fat.

hawii60

You may be right. Research in different countries may vary.. Here cholesterol is strongly linked in the blood with arterial clogging with plaque from calcium deposits. The link between vitamin d and vitamin K helping to clear cholesterol in arteries is relevant to US doctors and practitioners such as Doctor Mercola who has written many articles on vitamin D and vitamin K using Linus Pauling research from Oregano University. In the Uk cholesterol levels and lipid function are measured with blood glucose levels, and believe these can help people with a problem of too high fat in their diet. Diabetics have a metabolic disorder where too many fats, can start to block arteries, with increased calcium in the blood. Think I will stick to the current research in the UK NHS, as it has helped me, but can understand that some people do well on ketogenic diets, but sadly I'm not one of them. Carbohydrate on its own can come from grains, vegetables, rice maize, and from sugar hidden in foods with sweeteners which are said to be calorie free. These convert to sugar in the liver and don't help the diabetic who is under the illusion the sweeteners will not add to blood sugar. Sorbitol (maize corn syrup) is used on diabetic foods which is surprising as people are being mislead. Too high protein is not recommended, as you say as it can affect the kidneys, but I don't use high protein from red meats as I know they can create symptoms of arthritis and gout. The phrase high protein is vague.and how protein burns in metabolism from meat is different to that found in nuts, which also contain fats. I feel much better now I have cut down on fats as am intolerant to dairy and eggs and could not digest fats. Everyone is different!

hawii60

Hi J

As you are insulin dependant then dieting for type 1 is different to that of someone who has no diabetes or type 2 diabetes. How do you calculate your diet and insulin intake at the moment and are you eating all sorts of food, then using insulin to counter too high sugar in the blood? Have you any other symptoms with your diabetes, such as neuropathy?

High fat diets are not recommended for diabetics as they can cause ketoacidosis. I experienced this after using the ketogenic and urine tests showed high ketones. I was told to drink plenty of water. Nothing was mentioned as to how dangerous this diet is for diabetics.

Do you drink alcohol or fizzy drinks, both of which may affect the pancreas? I can give you a rough outline how I helped myself to reduce my blood sugar, when the drugs would not lower my blood sugar. I have maintained a lower blood glucose level for two years after many years of high blood sugar counts and threats of insulin.

J111GRM
J111GRM
in reply to hawii60

Hi. Thanks

I recently did DAFNE and do 1-2:10 I do use extra insulin if my blood sugar is high. My levels are doing good at the minute. I don’t drink alcohol but do drink zero fizzy drinks I wasn’t aware this was dangerous for the pancreas. I’ve been diabetic 35 year and still so much to learn xx

Activity2004
in reply to J111GRM

Does your doctor have you using a CGM (Continuous Glucose Monitor) system for blood sugars?

J111GRM

No. We’re never offered anything new with our consultants it’s all money orientated which is so unfair

Activity2004
in reply to J111GRM

Sorry to hear that. Have your numbers been high lately? Sometimes, when the blood sugars are higher than usual for a certain period of time, a person can loose weight because their food isn't being used the correct way. When the blood sugars are 'normal', then a person will gain weight.

hawii60
hawii60
in reply to J111GRM

Fizzy drinks including cokes may be labelled with zero calories but might use sucralose as a sweetener which turns to glucose in the liver and is stored as fat. The hidden source of carbs is grains and carbs such as rice and maize. You might find some ingredients are mentioned on cans but other information on cans and bottles such as phosphoric acid and citric acid may be concealed. Research shows that the enzymes in the pancreas may be reduced by fizzy drinks. New research is now testing for amylase deficiency in serum, as deficiency in this can lead to obesity and insulin resistance.

Amyloid disease can affect the brain and metabolism and this may be in part to a diet over loaded with refined carbs.

I lost over two stone, since removing food intolerances which made my stomach and intestines retain fluid and gas. I also have cut down on red meat, sticking to chicken vegetables and fish with about 2 oz of mince. I can't take drugs as am intolerant so try to find natural methods to help digestion and weight control. Cutting down salt might stop fluid retention which can affect weight. A lot of snacks encourage sweet with salt flavours and fats can alter hormones in women especially making them oestrogen dominant. Advertising is very powerful and we have cravings for foods which are overloaded with sugar. It has taken over 50 years to find the foods which were upsetting my digestion and increasing blood sugar. The advice to eat slow burning carbs such as pasta and starting the day with toast and orange juice is the quickest route to a high carb diet. Glad you are controlling blood sugar, but knowing foods which are working against your immune system does help even when you are older.

Am still learning..

1 like
StillConcerned

Well yes, it is possible to go too low on carbs, but they have been over-emphasised in the developed world. Most people's body only uses about half the RDA of carbohydrate in the form of carbohydrate. The excess, and the insulin necessary to cope with it, form visceral fat and contribute to insulin resistance.

There's never any mention of how dangerous low-fat diets are for people with diabetes, and the general population.

Activity2004

J111GRM,

Please check your private messages on HU. I just sent a message to you now. It’s okay!😀👍

Osidge

You might want look at the Newcastle Diet - from Research St Newcastle University services.nhslothian.scot/di...

HOBIEONE

Well done for trying WW & good luck. It hard work for a T1. Even a short walk every day is good

weee

I lost over 2 stone and reversed my diabetes and fatty liver doing the low carb diet. I try to stick to less than 100g of carbs a day - I know many go much lower. I walk a lot..especially after meals..

You may also like...