Exercising before Breakfast Increases Fat Loss

Exercising before Breakfast Increases Fat Loss

If you are going to exercise, do it before the first meal of the day....

If you are heading to the gym or pounding the pavements in the hope of losing weight, try to do it before you eat your breakfast, as exercising before the first meal of the day is more effective than after it, a study suggests.

Not only does working up a sweat on an empty stomach burn off more body fat - helping you lose those extra inches around the waist - it also triggers a bigger reduction in artery-clogging blood fats.

Although the benefits of exercise are well-known, people have been unsure about whether it is better to do it on an empty stomach or a full one.

Dr. Jason Gill, who conducted the research at Glasgow University, said that while exercise in itself is good, any done before breakfast may be extra beneficial, because it forces the body to rely on its stores of fat for energy. "When people talk about losing weight, they really mean losing fat," he said.

Ten men made three visits to his laboratory at the university's Institute of Cardiovascular and Medical Sciences, and were given breakfast each time. On the first visit, the men didn't do any exercise. On another, they did an hour's brisk walk ahead of breakfast and on the third they did the walk after breakfast. Those who exercised burnt off more fat than those who simply sat around. And those who did their walk before breakfast used up 33 percent more fat than those who exercised after eating.

Tests revealed they also experienced a bigger drop in the blood fats that raise the risk of heart disease. While the men only did a brisk walk, more strenuous activity can also be safely carried out on an empty stomach, Dr. Gill said.

This is because the body has enough reserves for about 90 minutes to two hours of exercise.

British Journal of Nutrition, Oct. 2012

7 Replies

• If you are eating CARBS rich diet hit pavement 40 min after meals and walk for 30 minutes.

• i want loss from fat my body

• what can i do?

• I am sixty nine years old. I am suffering from diabetes since last ten years.Though I am under treatment, but I feel it is very difficult to control BS. Could you pl suggest how I can control BS within limit through some home measure. I do nearly an hour excercise in the morning simutaneously with the prescribed medicine.

• What do u eat.

Switch to LOW CARB HIGH FAT DIET and your controls will become beater and better.

• could you pl suggest a diet chart for LCHF food? only advice won't help us.

• i am 69 years old & suffering from Diabetes for the last 12 years. As per the advises made by Diabatologist, Birla Hospital, Pune, the 03 types of medicines are consumed daily. Schedule of taking medicines are :taking 18 units Lantus insulin once in 24 hour , 02 tablets Zoryl M-3 forte ( 01 after breakfast at 9.30 another one at 2pm after meal) & 01 tablet ( onglyze-2.5 mg). BS sugar remains 90-110 mg after walking, bathing but BS content becomes normal after 5 hours of taking meal. Thereafter,Before Night meal at about 09pm, most of the days, I feel low BS content, thereby, take01 toffee to bring back the BS in normal range.Could you suggest something for avoiding Hypoglycaemic stage? Pl. suggest to improve the above said problem. fortunately, my eye sight is functioning well.

You may also like...