Diabetes: Protect Your Feet and Legs

Diabetes: Protect Your Feet and Legs

Foot and leg problems are a common diabetes complication, but taking the proper precautions can prevent up to half of all diabetes-related amputations.

By Lynn Yoffee

Medically reviewed by Pat F. Bass III, MD, MPH

If you have diabetes, you are more likely to develop leg and foot problems than those without this disorder. Diabetes can destroy nerves and cause you to have poor circulation. Left unchecked, these complications can lead to amputation. But there's a lot that you can do to prevent amputation.

Diabetes: Causes of Limb Problems

First, it's important to understand what causes these diabetes complications. Researchers are still uncovering the reasons, but they know that when you have high blood glucose levels, it can cause nerve damage called diabetic neuropathy. The damage can occur in any part of your body, but it is most common in your arms and legs, with the lower extremities affected first. This type of nerve damage is known as peripheral neuropathy. Some people have no symptoms, while others experience numbness, tingling, burning, sharp pain, cramps, extreme sensitivity when touched, and a loss of coordination and balance.

When you have peripheral neuropathy, small sores can go unnoticed because of the numbness — you simply don’t feel them. Left untreated, these little problems can become major infections that invade the bones. What’s more, poor circulation from diabetes means any ulcers and infections are harder to heal. If an infection invades your bones, then amputation could be required to save your life.

Here are some of the foot and leg problems related to diabetes that can lead to amputation if not treated promptly:

• Blocked blood vessels can occur in your leg below the knee when there is poor circulation from diabetes. Vascular surgery is usually needed to unblock them and restore circulation, but it is not always successful.

• Bunions and hammertoes may be caused by nerve damage. If they aren't treated, more ulcers (sores) can develop.

• Calluses and corns can result from ill-fitting shoes. Treat these early or they can become ulcers.

• Charcot foot is a foot deformity caused by neuropathy. An absence of pain could lead you to continue to walk on a broken bone, and then complications can develop.

• Cracked, dried skin might not seem like a big deal, but the cracks can turn into ulcers that won't heal.

• Nail problems such as ingrown toenails or fungal infections can also turn into ulcers.

• Osteoporosis can develop due to neuropathy and poor circulation. Brittle bones are more apt to break easily.

Diabetes: 13 Steps to Prevent Amputation

Fortunately, the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases reports that as many as half of all amputations related to these foot and leg complications can be prevented if the problems are caught early.

The American Diabetes Association points out that if you're a smoker, quitting is the first and best way to prevent an amputation. Smoking decreases the blood flow in the small blood vessels of your legs and feet, making it difficult for wounds to heal.

Here are 12 more steps that you can take to prevent an amputation:

• Examine your feet every day. Check for anything out of the ordinary, from cuts and redness to a change in nail color. Even a loss of hair on your toes should be noted. You should also pay attention to the color of your feet and toes. If they turn purple, red, or pink, especially when you are sitting with your legs hanging free, you may have poor circulation.

• If you discover any swelling, redness, pain, tingling, or numbness, call your doctor. Any pain in your legs after a little activity or at night can be a sign of a blocked artery — call your doctor immediately.

• Be sure your doctor examines your feet at least once a year or whenever you notice a problem.

• Carefully wash your feet in lukewarm water daily. Use a soft towel to dry them, including between the toes. Use lotion or cream to soften callused areas. If your feet perspire, use a non-medicated powder to keep them dry and prevent skin breakdown.

• Don't use alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, astringent, or iodine on your feet.

• See a professional for nail clipping, especially if you have any problems with your feet, such as numbness or hard nails.

• Don't treat your feet with over-the-counter callus and corn remedies, and don't trim those growths yourself.

• Keep the floor at home or work clutter free to avoid accidents.

• Look at your socks for blood spots or other fluids. White socks are the best choice.

• Select comfortable, sturdy shoes that fit right. Wear new shoes for just an hour or two at a time to break them in so that you won't develop sore spots.

• Before putting on your shoes, check them for little stones or tears that could irritate your feet.

•?????????Generally, try to avoid anything that can hurt your feet. This can run the gamut from socks that are too tight or those with seams that can cause irritation to avoiding hot water, heating pads, and electric blankets which might burn a numb area of skin without your being aware of it. Going barefoot can leave feet vulnerable to cuts, puncture wounds, and splinters.

Take these preventive steps — and be vigilant about them — and you'll have an excellent chance of avoiding many of the diabetes complications that can lead to amputation.

18 Replies

oldestnewest
  • IT IS A VERY INFORMATIVE ARTICLE. ALL THE PEOPLE SUFFERING FROM THIS DECEASE SHOULD TAKE CARE AS PREVENTION IS ALWAYS BETTER THAN CURE

• Exhaustive and well written, comprehensively detailed article. However, instead of talking so much about amputations, a nightmare that haunts every diabetic all the time, the article could have limited itself to the subsequent portion which talks about how to avoid amputations.

I am downloading and forwarding the item to some contacts who are suffering from diabetes.

N.Narasimhan

• Hi Diopra_Dr, It is really and very good information for all those who are having "diabetic neuropathy". Thank U.

Shall be thankful if you could kindly post me such article periodically to ms49mani@gmail.com.

• Wonderful , exhastive and clear article. Thanks a lot for listing out dos and don'ts. I do have a problem, and feel comforted by reading this.

• Very Useful Article expect more such articles about Diabetes.

• I have diabetic neuropathy and for me article is useful is useful..any medicine pl?

• ALPHA LIPOIC ACID 300mg BID

ALPHA Lipoic Acid has been used a primary line of treatment for neuropathy in Germany. USA it is called a Supplement as the same cannot be PATENTED in USPTO :D

• thanks anup.doctot advised GLA120 not ALA 300.are they same?are both antioxident?

• Excellent article Dr. Diopra !! I would kindly appreciate and would be grateful, if u could pls keep me posted on my email id srjpat@yahoo.com with such useful article related to numbness and tinging, since I am diabetic and feel numbness in both my feet, which includes swelling also sometimes only on my feet (not limbs or thighs). My hands specially left hand (from shoulder to risks) also has somewhat like a tinging effect sometimes, when my hands are kept raised for sometime while sleeping, but it vanishes when I lower my hands down and keep it at my sides.

My age is 62 and I am a diabetic since last 12 years with 120/24500 on an average.

• A good knowledgeable article.

• Very useful article. Thanks for having posted such very useful information. Further Dr please provide us information on. boy medicines to prevent or control diabetes neuropathy post minformation to nagasm@hotmail.com

• bloody goose . In an authenticated expression blog, you are selling your snake oil and water.Damn it you fool.

• Thank you very much. Very Useful Article. After reading the article I have checked my legs and found that my right foot colour and I am taking necessary steps. many thanks

• An excellent and useful information and education on the need for taking care of foots. Good job sur.

• Avery informative and well written article. I really feel very happy that I am under the care of a good medical practitioner who has guided me to practise the above for the last three years. All diabetic patients take serious note of the contents. I am enjoying active life even at 65 without foot problems..

• i was forma marketing person for a long prtiod and during my tours i used to stay in lodges for a stay and to go ahead wilth our professional work. during my call with a doctor i saw a patient developed sores and the doctor told that situation was due to diabetis. after having read the articile regarding diabeticfoot now i am recollecting the discussion with the doctor. However i suggsted to the doctor whether a steriled polyvenille foot wear if available to prescribe in case if that fits the person wilth diabeticfoot so that the person can keep his foot dry by keeping away from wet surfaces. I do not know whether my suggestion will help to such patients. Hence kindly think it over and if my suggestion is useful to the diabetic patients kindly try to experement.

thanking you,

mrcav.

• Thank you very much for this informative article.I have problems with my feet, especially my nails.They crack, break.I am printing this page and keep it as constant reference.I have been a type two diabetic for a long time.I do not have any major problems yet.Information is the key.i have it now and thank you again.

• Dr. Diapro, Really you have done a great work by putting this Blog here for the regular readers at this site. In fact, you should try to put more and more such comprehensive and illustrative Blogs which can help BS Patients through their timely precautions. Can you suggest me the cause for nerve pain in Gum. Some time back, I had severe pain like an electric shock at the right side upper and lower gum. It appears when we talk to some one, coughing etc. After taking pain killer for 2-3 months it is reduced, but while brushing the tooth, when paste touches that area, such pain occurs some time. Can you give me your suggestion in this regard.

You may also like...