VEGAN PROTEINS: For LCHF or keto diet, if... - Diabetes India

Diabetes India

61,762 members12,162 posts

VEGAN PROTEINS

Fatbuddy profile image
26 Replies

For LCHF or keto diet, if a person is vegetarian -- what are good sources for protein ??

26 Replies
sandybrown profile image
sandybrown

Many vegetables do have good protein. It all depends on how you cook the veg.

The link below give good information:

vegannook.com/tip/where-do-...

We cook many veg with good protein on a weekly basis.

Fatbuddy profile image
Fatbuddy in reply to sandybrown

Thank you

Bet117 profile image
Bet117 in reply to Fatbuddy

Hi...

In addition to vegetables; hummus, red and white kidney beans, garbanzo beans and black beans are excellent sources of protein. Just monitor your potassium level.

I also add organic chia seeds to my Greek Yogurt in the morning.

I'm not a fan of tofu and other plant based substitutes; the taste and high sodium level aren't appealing to me.

Many great dishes that you can enjoy with vegetables such as cauliflower, broccoli, onion, peppers and beans.

Give it a try!

Bet

Fatbuddy profile image
Fatbuddy in reply to Bet117

Thank you dear. I love Hummus. Home made. Also Paneer is better than Tofu.

Bet117 profile image

See, all good. You can do alot. Look for wheat, vegetable or whole grain pasta; Barilla is the brand unless your local grocery has their own brand.

You can pre- steam and sautee vegetables with non- stick spray and non- sodium spices. I use onion, garlic powder, cumin, crushed red peppers.

Drain pasta and add vegetables with a drop of olive oil and sprinkle of parmesan cheese.

Hummus is fantastic. Eat with cooked vegetables, salads, put it on a wheat bagel for breakfast instead of butter or spread.

Sandwiches? Yes and top with lettuce, onion, peppers. I also buy Daiya non dairy cheese ( No cholesterol) and use it in sandwiches and cooking.

If your potassium is good, can make vegetarian chilli with XL can and medium can no salt added tomato sauce. Add onion powder, garlic powder, tumeric, small amount of red wine vinegar, organic smoky paprika and drop of McCormick's low sodium chilli mix. Teaspoon if that.

Steam onions, peppers, even zucchini squash. Drain and add.

I use 2 cans red no salt added kidney beans, 2 cans no salt added black beans and can no salt added garbanzo beans. Put into a collander and wash with hot water. After settled add to chilli pot. Cook. This is great- even my diabetic brother makes it. It can safely be frozen and defrosted as well.

Many things you can come up with. Make marsala or sag with no meat.

You can do it!

B.

Fatbuddy profile image

NO WHEAT. Stopped 2 years ago. Read book by Dr William's-- WHEAT BELLY.

No pasta. Dont like kidney beans.

Can I get enough protein ?

No CKD. No sodium problem. I dont use much salt and hardly any sugar in cooking.

Bet117 profile image

Interesting as my brother's cardiologist recommended The Wheat Belly Diet. He and I both read it and said no. PCP said no..

No wheat. Look in grocery store for gluten free pasta. I have tried it for the heck of it and it was good.

You can use black beans, garbanzo beans and lentils which have even more protein.

We eat alot of hummus here and roasted, grilled or steamed vegetables every night. Alot of cauliflower, zucchini, onions, peppers and cabbage.

You can buy spiral zucchini frozen and fresh in grocery - have used that as change of pace.

Give it a try.

Fatbuddy profile image

Thank you. Are you making Humus at home ? No need for gluten free. Dont crave for pasta or other fancy foods.

sandybrown profile image
sandybrown in reply to Bet117

Hello,Interesting discussion going on. I have managed to loose weight by controlling food intake. I have been talking to my son and he only eat food between 12 PM and 10 PM.

His fasting window is 12 hours, where as my fasting window is from 7 PM to 9 AM, also 12 hours. I am planning to try to extend my fasting window my not having breakfast, 17 hours. My family are not happy with it as I am controlling my blood numbers.

Any way only time will tell.

Bet117 profile image
Bet117 in reply to sandybrown

Sandy, Take care and be careful with the fasting.

Losing weight is challenging. I am not diabetic but have fought this battle all of my life. I have found increase in vegetables have helped.

Go girl!

Bet

Fatbuddy profile image

You told me not to fast, and eat breakfast -- in Long Acting Insulin post.

Your son is fasting 14 hours not 12 hours. I do 16 - 17 hours fasting.

This is all intermittent fasting.

12:8, 12:14 or

12:16.

Try to reduce carbs with intermittent fasting, to loose weight and belly fat.

sandybrown profile image
sandybrown in reply to Fatbuddy

Hi,

Young people do like to look after their health. Where as I am 76, a different case.!!

Fatbuddy profile image

I am also 76. Better to stay healthy than suffer.

barani19 profile image
barani19Administrator in reply to Fatbuddy

Fatbuddy ,There are good varieties of wheat available. Durum wheat has worked very well for me. Every time I have Organic Durum wheat pasta (no GMO, gluten-free, etc), my FBS goes less than 100 mg/dL. The same is the case with Emmer wheat. You can have emmer wheat vermicilli, upma, etc. I have done a detailed posting on these. Please search this forum.

Another wheat worth trying is Paigambari wheat. I'm not sure you get this wheat outside India. I have done posting about this as well in this forum. Please check.

Fatbuddy profile image
Fatbuddy in reply to barani19

How much protein and how much carbs in one roti ?

I do not eat any wheat, no need, for 2 years. Read Wheat Belly book by Dr William's.

Sugar down below 100 is not good.

StillConcerned profile image
StillConcerned in reply to Fatbuddy

How do you mean, sugar below 100 isn't good?

Bet117 profile image
Bet117

Haven't made my own. I buy Joseph's or Cedars hummus; original, red pepper and garden vegetable. 50 calories and 100mg or less sodium. Great taste.

Try the zucchini and summer squash spirals. I buy the fresh and use it in place of pasta and other things. Low calorie, healthy and good tasting.

Tried the gluten free lasagne noodles for holiday meal - husband and brother. Don't buy cookies etc as we don't eat that here.

Give the veggies a try.

Fatbuddy profile image

Buy this PADERNO 4 - blade spiralizer for $ 29 from amazon.

PADERNO SPIRALIZAR
Bet117 profile image

Wow, thanks! I'm on it!

Fatbuddy profile image
Fatbuddy

I like red pepper and garlic hummus. Great with crackers too.

Bet117 profile image

Lol love it with cucumbers and red bell peppers. Occasionally will have it with unsalted potato chips.

Fatbuddy profile image
Fatbuddy

Lowered my long acting insulin, at bed time , from 48 units to 44, 36, and last night 30 units.

Last night, sugar before insulin, was 116. This morning 71.

What is going on ??

Last 4 nights, reduced insulin, still morning sugar is below 100. Two days ago, it dropped to 58 in morning.

sandybrown profile image
sandybrown

Eating roti and other chapatti?

We do not eat plain roti or chapatti. Always there is a curry to go with veg or chicken or fish.

Depending up on what you eat carb, all others do go up!!

When we eat rice there is always one fish or chicken and 2 veg.

It all add up. A complicated calculation

StillConcerned

Nuts Fatbuddy ; not being rude, honest :-)

StillConcerned in reply to StillConcerned

Vegans nor vegetarians tend to lack protein provided they're eating enough calories. The best source of energy are natural fats such as tree-nuts, olives, avocado, coconut, cheese and double cream.

gangadharan_nair profile image
gangadharan_nair

"Although all fruits and vegetables contain protein, some contain more than others. Vegetables with the most protein include broccoli, spinach, asparagus, artichokes, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and Brussels sprouts, which typically contain 4–5 grams of protein per cooked cup."(1)"Vegetarians should obtain protein from a variety of plant sources, including legumes, soy products, grains, nuts and seeds. Eggs and dairy products also provide protein for those following a lacto-ovo-vegetarian diet."(2)

"Guava. Guava is one of the most protein-rich fruits around. You'll get a whopping 4.2 grams of the stuff in every cup. This tropical fruit is also high in vitamin C and fiber."(3)

Links:-

(1) healthline.com/nutrition/pr...

(2) mja.com.au/journal/2013/199...

(3) webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow...

You may also like...