HIGH FASTING SUGAR ??: Hello Friends... - Diabetes India

Diabetes India
60,868 members11,689 posts

HIGH FASTING SUGAR ??

Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy

Hello Friends -- Again - my fasting BS is high in morning. I set my alarm at 07:30 am - but many times get up at 08:30 am and check sugar. Last 13 days it has been high -

lowest was 169 and high was 217. Mostly 180 to 200 range.

While searching - just found my own write up ( 2 years ago ) -

Damage By High Fasting Sugar. NO Satisfactory answer.

Yes, I have heard and read about Dawn Phenomena --

Now question is how to find out it is dawn phenomena ? I am in deep sleep- from

3 - 4 am to 7 am.

What can be done to lower fasting sugar ?

7 Replies
oldestnewest

Fatbuddy,

Please eat a bit of carb before you go to bed and observe your FBS. I take one non-sugar coated organic dates before i sleep daily.

Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
in reply to barani19

Thank you--dont like dates.

I do eat four or five crackers - with almond butter.

barani19
barani19
in reply to Fatbuddy

Fatbuddy,

Its better to avoid fatty foods for dinner(in your case almond butter). Its my personal experience that my FBS and Fasting serum Insulin increases a lot than usual(sometimes serum insulin doubles) when i have animal fat foods like Paneer for dinner the previous night.

Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
in reply to barani19

Almond butter is good fat. Not eating at dinner. At bed time, to prevent getting too low sugar in middle of night.

High levels of glucose early morning in Type 1 and Type 2 diabetic persons occur due to Dawn Effect. The dawn phenomenon refers to a spontaneous rise in blood glucose that occurs at the end of the night in patients with both type 1 and type 2 diabetes; this does not occur in individuals without diabetes, because endogenously produced insulin prevents this.

Dawn effect occurs when hormones (including cortisol, glucagon, epinephrine) are released by the body, causing the liver to release glucose. Usually abnormally high blood glucose levels occur between 8 and 10 hours after going to sleep for people with diabetes.

It could also be due to the Somogyi effect.

The Somogyi effect leads to high blood glucose levels in people with diabetes. It happens when low blood sugar triggers a rebound effect, leading to high blood sugar.

If a person notices high blood glucose levels in the morning, the Somogyi effect may be responsible, but the rise could have resulted from a similar effect, called the dawn phenomenon.

Many people know about the Somogyi effect, but it remains controversial due to a lack of scientific evidence. People with type 1 diabetes are more likely to experience it than people with type 2 diabetes.

Distinguishing between the Somogyi effect and the dawn phenomenon is important, as it may indicate that a person needs to adjust their treatment plan.

(Disclaimer: I am no doctor. But since my wife is Type 2 diabetic since 2003, the above is the result of my study of the subject as also my discussions with various endocrinologists. In the case of my wife we used to experience the same thing- namely high blood glucose levels in the morning. Initially the endocrinologist kept increasing the insulin dosage - but to no effect. Then on my study we started reducing insulin dosage and also to ensure she finished her dinner early. Moreover, she cut down on carbohydrates completely and also started on gluten free diet. This really worked and now her fasting blood glucose in the morning is between 115 to 130. What used to happen was the high dosage of insulin would reduce sugar level early morning between 4am onwards. So, from preventing hypoglycaemia liver would release sugar stored in it in the form of glycogen. This would then raise sugar levels in the blood. So, with lesser insulin the hypoglycaemia won’t occur and if it does, the release of sugar from liver would be less as there is less sugar stored in the liver due to her cutting down on carbohydrates and gluten).

Probably you are not controlling diet properly and you are taking too much carb without drugs modifying ppbs before to bed. Make uour with dietician opinion

no problem .reduce the quantity and calories of your dinner.nosnacks.drinks after dinner

You may also like...