WHICH IS BETTER -- RICE OR WHEAT ? - Diabetes India

Diabetes India
60,869 members β€’ 11,689 posts

WHICH IS BETTER -- RICE OR WHEAT ?

Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
β€’33 Replies

Hello friends -- another dilemma - for me- Diabetic ( Type 2 ) for over 23 years and now on Insulin.

lately have read some info about wheat is not good for health.

so I was thinking about cutting down on wheat and eat more rice as main plate - plus some vegetables or lintels ( or beans )

Need your opinions - which is better ?

33 Replies
oldest β€’ newest
Activity2004
Activity2004Administrator

Do you like quinoa? Quinoa is less carb. and is more protein-based. I have quinoa sometimes and cauliflower instead of rice. Cauliflower is less carbs..πŸ˜€πŸ‘

Thank you. Yes will try Quinoa - not sure how to cook but will figure out.

Love cauliflower, my favorite -

Activity2004
Activity2004Administrator
in reply to Fatbuddy

There are recipes for quinoa you can try.πŸ˜€πŸ‘

Bet117
Bet117
in reply to Fatbuddy

Easy. Like a cereal! Add veggies, spices and a touch of low sodium broth.

My doctor recommended it. Love it!

Cauliflower is great as I live on it.

My brother is an insulin diabetic. The Wheat Belly Diet was recommended to him by his cardiologist.

Not for everyone, but take a look.

Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
in reply to Bet117

Thanks --great - will check

Cereals- have checked for 15 years --never found on ethat has low carbs - less than 15 grams per serving.

Veggies - yes - has to be cooked - eggplant, squash, cauliflower, onions

Also have problems with breakfast - food

Bet117
Bet117
in reply to Fatbuddy

Cream of Wheat, Oatmeal with berries, white toast, egg whites with veggies and spices.

Sugar free jam and Benechol light spread.

Hope this helps.

B...

Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
in reply to Bet117

Cream of Wheat - and white toast - still a wheat - but will be okay some times.

Checked Oat and Grits ( southern ) - has too many carbs.

Bet117
Bet117
in reply to Fatbuddy

Hi..

My brother is a type 2 insulin diabetic. He takes insulin am and pm as well as a fast acting insulin before meals.

He eats oatmeal with fruit or balances with eggs and toast.

He also eats bacon. The key for him is balance as stress tends to initiate hypo glycemic incidents and he has to adjust the shots prior to meals.

So he will have egg toast and sausage before work.

He is also good about taking his sugar 4 times a day.

Found an article below which may be of interest.

Bear in mind what is good for one person, may not be for another.

Hope this helps!

B

everydayhealth.com/type-2-d...

Hidden
Hidden

wheat is chemically bleached and contains some toxins . Wheat also has gluten . Compared to that rice is better . Taking rice with double the quantity of veggies and sufficient protein rich items , limiting the calories ensures nutrient food . All vegetables are good including potatoes with only condition that some vegetables like potatoes , sweet potatoes , avocado have to be taken in lesser quantity .

Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
in reply to Hidden

Thank you - no problem with gluten. Rice also polished.

Potatoes - no for diabetics.

What other veggies ? what protein - no meat ?

Hidden
Hidden
in reply to Fatbuddy

Groundnuts are very rich in proteins . vegetarians can eat ground nuts of their fist size twice daily . Flax seeds one table spoon , one potato , one onion , one tomato ,one guava , one cup of fresh coconut scrapings , half a tea spoon of fennel seeds, half a cup of almonds , all greens give the needed proteins minerals , vitamins , with minimum carbs . Too less carbs or two much carbs both are not good . A well balanced diet is essential for healthy life . Millets do not suit all . If white rice is a taboo one can take red rice or pounded rice . The idea behind the restriction of rice consumption is that they get digested very quickly and one craves for other foods with in no time , which tends to increase weight . But taken with lentils , dals and other protein rich items that problem would not raise . Per day 75 gms of rice can be taken . Too much of fatty diet is not good in the long run , though they give energy and weight loss in the initial stages . In stead of buying food from outside you can just cook red rice with any dal , vegetables , onion & potato which does not need any elaborate procedure and sprinkle coconut scraping lightly fried and kept in air tight Jar BEFORE SERVING ,

Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
in reply to Hidden

Thank you Lilaben - my sweet new friend. Good info and good suggestions.

Potato ? no --

Fennel seeds - Protein - surprised ?

Hidden
Hidden
in reply to Fatbuddy

fennel seeds for their nutritive values and they are good for vision . They help digestion , purify blood and reduce BP . Potato is found out recently to help in melting kidney stones as per one study . Potato is rich in potassium also . It is better to get calcium , potassium , iron , magnesium. Zinc etc all in the daily intake of food rather than getting in supplements .In the quantities and the forms we take they do not give any health problem ,Potassium in right quantities averts the danger of paralytic stroke .All of us have to die and go one day but it is a very great boon to have an easy , painless , and instant death .Vinadainyena jeevitham & Anayasena maranam are the two most important indicators of blessed life .

Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
in reply to Hidden

Already have higher potassium since came back from India - just had lab results few days ago. Love baked potato --but off limit for awhile. I do like sweet potato baked -in micro wave with butter. As a vegetarian and single person- never get all vitamins and minersl- supplements okay.

Hidden
Hidden
in reply to Fatbuddy

when the quantity of potassium rich food is reduced in a matter of 20 days the potassium levels would come down . Stop taking banana for some time . we have to make corrections in the quantities , qualities and varieties of food temporarily basing upon the results of tests . but should not altogether abstain from the nutritive foods .

Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
in reply to Hidden

thanks- yes I know--most likely it is side effect of medicine.

Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
in reply to Hidden

I do not have any digestion or kidney stone problem.

Fatbuddy,

According to EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF PHARMACEUTICAL AND MEDICAL RESEARCH(www.ejpmr.com), the Glycemic Index(GI) of some the rice varieties that we get in the market today were analyzed.

Ponni raw rice - 89

Basmati White rice - 79

Sona Masoori - 72

Basmati brown rice - 52

Bamboo rice - 20

Rose Matta rice - 38

If you closely observe, eating Ponni rice is almost equivalent to having glucose. It is always good to choose good varieties of rice like karuppu kavuni or mappillai samba(GI might be medium) or equivalent if you are diabetic not the commercial ponni, sona masoori, etc.

Coming to wheat, the commercial wheat available are mostly Sharbati atta. But there are other varieties available.

1) Sharbati wheat (Triticum aestivum) considered the best for making chapatis.

2) Durum Wheat (Triticum durum) known for its plumpness, appearance, consistency, and hardness used for marking pasta and others.This variety is diabetic friendly. I have personally tried it. My blood sugar does not spike much.

3) Paigambari(Triticum spherococcum) - Popularly known as Sugar Free which is a round shaped dwarf wheat (hexaploid). This variety can be

rightly called the first Indian Wheat as its origins can be traced to the Indus Valley Civilization and was one of the staple food in the Indian subcontinent almost 4000-6000 years ago.

I want to stress upon the fact that if you choose a traditional non-commercial variety of rice or wheat, it would be better.

Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
in reply to barani19

Thank you -- so far never paid attention to such details.

I am in USA - we buy what ever is available - at Indian grocery store - mostly imported from India. Also I am single ( divorced)- so don't cook much myself- have to buy ready made.

Which one has more Protein - Rice or Wheat ?

sandybrown
sandybrown
in reply to Fatbuddy

Here is some more information :

Please take a look at the table.

fao.org/3/t0567e/T0567E0d.htm

Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
in reply to sandybrown

Thank you my sweet Sandy. Good morning. Very interesting and very useful.

Just for info- found nice responses - from 2 years ago - young girl from India - by India1990.

Lots of good info and options to try.

Thanks for all members.

Only regrets - we have 60,000 plus members and only 10 or 25 most active.

If you are wheat eating region you can change to rice. If you are rice eating region you can change to wheat. I am from rice eating region and avoids completely rice and made dishes. When I eat rice my blood sugar level shots up. Both rice and wheat has plenty of carbohydrates, consuming more carbohydrates makes blood sugar level shooting up.

Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
in reply to Dhanan

what do you mean - "" wheat eating region change to rice "" ??

If control quantity --it should be okay - with more vegetables and more ghee, paneer.

I just cooked rice and moong daal this evening.

What about foxtail millet?

Wheat is not bad when mixed with barley, black gram, soyabean.Sometimes it act as a medicine to bring down BS level[at least it did in my case,am also 23 years diabetic]Wheat provide carb,barley absorb extra glucose,gram provide fiber and soyabean provide protein.I am sure, initially you must have started on tablets.And those intelligent doctors promoted you to insulin.It is my experience that you take advice of a doctor but use self common sense also,do what is good for you and not for doctor,after all it is your life.I have not taken any allopathic medicines in 23 years,only ayurvedic medicines,and balanced diet.Or,Bajra[pearl millet, Jowar,Ragi also good for diabetes,[you being Gujrati will prefer Bajra].

Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
in reply to kamtadale

Thank you so much - yes I am Gujarati - but divorced -- alone -in USA. hard to find right flour- all come s bleached - polished. Will try to buy small Ghanti- soon - and do all by myself.

What about Ragi - what is made of ?

I have to learn - multi grain Handvo - to bake in oven.

Yes - I have taken medicine - Metformin and then also glimperide. But Insulin - is after my severe heart failure and no control in hospital.

sandybrown
sandybrown
in reply to Fatbuddy

you can make any grain flour at home in a grinder.

Whit rice, brown rice, red rice or any small grain to make roti!

"To make rice flour, start by putting 1-2 cups of any kind of rice in a blender. You can use more rice than that, but only blend 1-2 cups at a time so your blender doesn't clog. Next, cover the blender and grind the rice until it has a fine, powdery consistency."

In Asian countries, the rice is soaked in water first to make it soft, once the flour is made then it is roasted to keep it for few days.

Par boiled rice is the best, firstly the glycemic index is 32 while as wheat and raw rice is 72 you have to cook and drain the water. Moreover it is half the rate of raw rice. the big disadvantage of wheat is gluten which is harmful for diabetes. have only 65 gms of rice in one day and your sugars will be under control. Quinoa is a product from US and very expensive. Try my method you will not regret.

Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
in reply to ganaraja

Thank you -- how is gluten harmful to diabetics ?

Try millets or oats. I've switched to these and have found remarkable difference. Millets can be cooked just like rice and can substitute rice in all your traditional recpies too. Only remember to soak millets for a minimum of 1/2 an hour in water ,discard the soaked water and use the millets.

Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
in reply to Jamjel

Tahnk you. where can I get millets in USA ?

You may also like...