LOW CARB Diet Benefits : Hello Friends... - Diabetes India

Diabetes India
60,601 members11,515 posts

LOW CARB Diet Benefits

Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
11 Replies

Hello Friends - we all talk about low carb diet - LCHF - from time to time.

Here is some thing I found in my old email- unfortunately not allowed to post a link.

***** What Studies Say About the Benefits and Risks of Going Low Carb ****

First, the benefits may be reaped almost immediately. According to one study in October 2016 in PLOS One, people who ate three lower-carb meals (of less than 30 percent carbs each) reduced their insulin resistance by more than 30 percent compared with people who consumed higher-carb meals (60 percent carbs). (2)

You can see the results, too. In January 2015, the Journal of Nutrition conducted two studies comparing lower-carb and low-fat diets, finding that of the two approaches, going lower carb helped people shave off more visceral fat, a type of belly fat that hugs organs and is linked to disease. (3) A meta-analysis published in June 2016 in Obesity Reviews also concluded that in obese people, a low-carb diet reduced fat over the course of a year (but not body weight), with the greatest benefits seen in a very-low-carb diet. (4)

NOTE : Please note, I am not an expert - have read many sites and books - but don't remember everything and do not follow l LCHF diet. Hard to do for a Gujarati - Vegetarian. This info is for newbies - general basics.

11 Replies
oldestnewest
HOBIEONE

Low carb or lower carb is the way to go. I have been a T1 diabetic since ENGLAND won the world cup. Good luck if you are trying.

sandybrown
sandybrown
in reply to HOBIEONE

1966 to 2019, very well controlled.

Two questions:

1. how do you monitor your blood glucose?

2. How do you do the dosage calculation.

Do the diabetic nurse get dosage incorrect at times, I read in the news papers this can happen!

Thanks.

HOBIEONE
HOBIEONE
in reply to sandybrown

Well done Sandy. Same as me 1966-2019. Now on an Insulin pump. which suits me fine. Am still working, Not as hard but still there & have Never been unemployed in my life. I am very proud of that. In my 50th year of T1 I did "3 of the Tallest" my way. Big Ben, The Shard & Scar-fell. Like you I wont give in.

Fatbuddy

@ HOBIEONE and Sandybrown --

You are both great - and supporter of the group- with such a positive attitudes and information from personal experiences - Yes - you can help many people.

However, you should respond these comments in Type 1 Diabetes or start a new post.

That is my opinion. Yes low carb helps many Type 2 and Type 1 Diabetic persons.

@ HOBIEONE -- no I am not trying - low low carb diet - I just found that article in one of

my email- from different source and I wanted to post here as Basic Fundamentals --to help others.

I do control carbs -- in 1984 I had high TG - of 400 - and my Indian doctor told me to quit rice and potatoes and I stopped and no medicines for TG.

Then in 1988 I was traveling from Atlanta to Houston , Texas - for one week vacation- and came across a radio station, talk show - which talekd about natural remedies and diets to

control cholesterol, triglycerides etc -- and I got interested --and got hooked on it.

In 1994, when I got diagnosed as T2 - I started to pay attention to radio station and later on internet. Of course I did not know much about internet at that time. But slowly got interested and read a lot. Several years ago- found few website and forums like this - to

enjoy reading - other peoples experiences and comments from experts and learned a lot.

My diet - for last several years - is mainly keeping net carb to less than 130 grams per day.

I still do not eat rice and potatoes. Stopped drinking, - even soft drinks and eating pizza, five years ago. Like to walk - now going to LA Fitness. used to walk 5 miles a day - 5 days a week.

Hope this is not too long --but helps other newbies - understand - determination and

discipline helps a lot to control diabetes.

Bravo to you - HOBIEONE -- keep working with T1 - !! That's really great.

2 likes
HOBIEONE
HOBIEONE
in reply to Fatbuddy

Going walking is a very good thing ! Well done. Doing something is better than nothing !

sandybrown
sandybrown
in reply to HOBIEONE

Well, I was in the garden using the leaf blower for one hour to collect leaves for the garden rubbish collection this week. AS you say exercise is better than doing nothing, it was dry and warn as the sun was out.

2 likes
Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
in reply to sandybrown

wow... that's nice -- i went to gym yesterday 1.5 hours total- took a bus -

20 minutes on trade mill, 20 minutes on bicycle and rest - 5 minutes each on six different machines - for back, knees and ankle etc --

of course --you are still too young and no heart failure like me ..lol

gangadharan_nair

LCHF diet has immediate benefits (controls hyperglycemia) and long term disadvantages (cardovascular diseases).

I have visited <https://www.plos.org> and saved the URL in my bookmarks. The site is most beneficial to me for my daily work.

1 like
Fatbuddy

Thank you. What type work do you do ? are you at Mumbai or Pune ?

gangadharan_nair

I am from Trivandrum, capital of Kerala, India. I am engaged in answering medical questions in <quora.com>.

1 like
Fatbuddy

That's very nice--I have seen your comments and knowledge before. Keep up the good work.

1 like

You may also like...