EXCESS INSULIN - - SIDE EFFECTS ?? - Diabetes India

Diabetes India
60,595 members11,511 posts

EXCESS INSULIN - - SIDE EFFECTS ??

Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
83 Replies

Hello every one -- one more confusing question.

In past - I did NOT pay attention to insulin - intake by injections.

However, after my herat failure- and on insulin for last 6 months --

I am concern about taking TOO MUCH insulin. Is there any negative side effects ?

My last A1C was 6.3 - just few months ago. I am trying to reduce my insulin dosage - and also eat little more carbs - sweets to enjoy.r

83 Replies
oldestnewest
StillConcerned

The ACCORD study established that the risk to mortality and health is increased by high insulin, even with the attainment of normal blood glucose levels.

High insulin levels exacerbate insulin resistance, causing dyslipidaemia and excess visceral fat.

Combined with high levels of IGF-1 that narrows arteries, there is a high risk of atherosclerosis.

1 like
Fatbuddy

Every thing is wrong in my case.

Already have heart failure - not due to high BP or cholesterol or artery inflammation

Read my question in "" Diabetes vs Heart Attack "

That is good reason --- NOT to reduce my insulin dosage -- and increase my A1c --to 7.0

1 like
StillConcerned

If you have type 2 diabetes, you have insulin resistance by definition.

Fatbuddy

I know that --nothing new. You are NOT reading my question

StillConcerned

Dr Kraft measured the insulin levels of his patients, and found those that had chronic heart disease had abnormal insulin levels. He concluded that those people that have chronic heart disease have insulin resistance.

Fatbuddy

WRONG again--read my case - my post

StillConcerned

Have you had a CAC score?

StillConcerned

One problem is the reliance on proxy measures. It was found that over half of people admitted to hospital with a heart attack have 'normal' cholesterol levels for example.

Similarly, it is quite common to have normal blood glucose levels, whereas the high insulin levels keeping them there still cause damage.

Fatbuddy

I know all that --Please DO NOT reply any more

1 like
Activity2004
Activity2004Administrator
in reply to Fatbuddy

If you’re taking insulin, you will count carbs. and base your dosage on your amount of carbs. and blood sugars for each meal/snack. Too much insulin can lower the blood sugars too much. Not enough can raise the numbers.

Fatbuddy

Thank you my friend - I know that - as basic principal- hard to count carbs with Indian -- Gujarati -- Vegetarian food.

Since I just started taking insulin-- I followed instructions of my Endo doctor.

Taking 38 units - Levimir --long acting in morning approx 9:30 am

and Novolog - based on base plus sliding scale --

Novolog is a short term - immediate acting insulin- and each unit lowers 40 points BS

My question - is SIDE EFFECTS of more insulin - to lower A1C ..

At age 74 -- I prefer comfortable with A1C of 7.0 --that is my goal

2 likes
Activity2004
in reply to Fatbuddy

The side effects may be (in some)/- weight gain. I have a friend from my school years who is type 2 and she gained weight after being on her insulin for a few years, now. For me— personally, I gain weight from when my number is under 300’s. I loose weight when I’m 300+ with blood sugars and more insulin/carbs..

Fatbuddy

My BS - between 140 and 175 -- once in a while get over 180 and one time 219

I will lower my Dosage - slowly - over six to 12 months -

No problem with gaining weight -- just dont want on belly - belly fat

gained 7 pounds in 3 months - but I had lost 16 pounds last two years -

2 likes
Activity2004
in reply to Fatbuddy

That’s not bad. What did your doctor say about lowering your doses of insulin?

Fatbuddy

Not right now-- my last A1C was 6.3 ....

He gave me next appointment after 4 months.

But since I am going to India -- I will wait till I get back in February

I will continue to monitor- take BS readings and insulin and write down in chart and fax to doctor - every two weeks . Also I will get A1C done in India in December

1 like
Activity2004
in reply to Fatbuddy

Let us know what you find out when you’re able.

cherv
cherv
in reply to Activity2004

Great advice! My concern first would be changing your diet by more sweets to enjoy- not diabetic diet Second, get educated on the food you do consume lots of places have measurements for diet figures on a certain dish. Do you agree, Activity? He needs to maintain the level he is at now until his doctor allows him to increase his A1C. I know being an older diabetic is not easy and we can get cranky. Taking to much insulin can cause this and 38 units of long acting Leivim seems like a lot of insulin to me. Novolog is followed if he is calculating correctly. Back to one of the issues he brought up, how to do this once again educate. Have a good trip and get back with Activity.

1 like
Activity2004
in reply to cherv

Yes, if a person is doing something out of the blue, they need to either let the doctor know and/or wait until the event is over and then do some changes if the doctor says it's okay. Too much change at once can sometimes cause issues with blood sugars and insulin dosages.

ThreeSmiles
ThreeSmilesStar
in reply to cherv

I love it - getting cranky. Yes indeed - the evidence is all around us isn’t it .....😁👍

2 likes
Activity2004
in reply to ThreeSmiles

Awe, ThreeSmiles! :-) That's perfect and true. Sometimes, crankiness is a benefit in some cases.

1 like
cherv
cherv
in reply to Activity2004

He-He! LOL!

1 like
Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
in reply to cherv

38 Units - was recommended by my ENDO - doctor -

1 like
mrjoe
mrjoe
in reply to Fatbuddy

I do not know how old you are but my doctor in USA tells me not to worry if my A1C is 7 at age 70 and 8 at age 80. No need of medicines or insulin if you meet that criteria

Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
in reply to mrjoe

My friend - I am in USA - and I know about this. My doctor told me - A1C between 7.0 and 7.5 is okay -

You should read my posts first - I am 74.

mrjoe
mrjoe
in reply to Fatbuddy

My friend.............I am not questioning your knowledge but when someone tries to reply, he is trying his best per him but your answers some times has a rude tone which is insulting. I am 82 and live in USA too

2 likes
sandybrown
sandybrown
in reply to mrjoe

Sir,

When did you first learn about this new guide line? Thanks.

1 like
mrjoe
mrjoe
in reply to sandybrown

My diabetic specist at Kaiser Hospital in USA told me that upto 60 years age A1C upto 6.0, 60 to 70 upto 7 and 70 to 80 upto 8 is OK

1 like
Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
in reply to sandybrown

Hello Sandy --you just posted NEW Guidelines 3 days ago.

Activity2004
in reply to Fatbuddy

Fatbuddy,

It’s okay to have certain information posted in more than one place depending on the topic/information.😀👍

Fatbuddy

yes -- I just noticed it few minutes ago. my point is why she asked that question - she should have posted a link and clarify. Its okay now -

1 like
Activity2004
in reply to Fatbuddy

Thank you for the explanation.😀👍

We have to give everyone time to post links if they have any to share.

cherv
cherv
in reply to Activity2004

Sorry I've been away from the post but have caught myself up I still the number of units you are on is high. Is that on a daily carb. balance? How do you figure your injections? I only shot 3SA maybe tops 4SA per meal tops. 3LA with dinner. I fear you falling deeply in the hypoglcaemic range changing your own dosage. We are not doctors and to get on and treat everyone so rudelly that has spoken to you is unfair. You have recieved more time and effort. Since being familiar with the system you must understand only your doctor can give such critical information- we do not have all your lab results or might not beable to determine how and if they have changed. Get some rest from your stress, maybe you are reflecting some of these issues and need to chill out. Read a good book, take some walks, volunteer at your local APL and pet the animals. Help your local older citizens that are not as blessed as you, maybe your smile will return.

2 likes
Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
in reply to cherv

@ Cherv - are you responding to Activity2004 ??

cherv
cherv
in reply to Fatbuddy

Fatbuddy no I'm repling to you in that comment as she is an admin., you post the question. I had missed some post and returned. Hope you are doing better.

Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
in reply to cherv

My short acting insulin - is based on BS reading before - eating a meal.

In morning - before breakfast 9 units base plus depend on BS ,

before lunch 6 units base plus based on BS,

before dinner - 6 units plus based on BS

Each unit of Novolog - insulin affects ( lowers ) 40 units BS.

Sliding scale - based on following BS readings - One Touch Monitor

0 to 140 - none

140 to 179 ........ 1 unit insulin

180 to 219 ........ 2 units

220 to 259 ......... 3 units

For example- yesterday - before lunch approx 12:40 pm - BS reading was 228 - and I took 8 units insulin - ( supposed to be 9 ) -- but I was not planning to eat lot.

You mentioned you take only 3 or 4 SA units - and mine is too high.

But I am doing fine- some times - still I get high BS - after few hours - before next meal -

I am new to insulin therapy - and I have heard froma friend -- that it takes several months for body to adjust. Whatever - it takes , I plan to manage - to raise A1C to

between 7.0 and 7.5.

Thank you for your additional comments --in advance.

Hope this discussion will help many other members to understand better.

cherv
cherv
in reply to Fatbuddy

I most heartly agree that having the discussion was very good. Seems you are in a much more positive mood today! Getting your A1C's may be very critical to your health. I follow a Keto diet but have found I must adapt by adding more low carb. to gain weight. The starch resistant has helped me level numbers when eating larger portions of carbs, Chill the carb. for example for a dish to be made that evening for dinner rewarm as normal with the meal. Why the base starting point for the insulin and not just start at units per-meal to be eaten> all my insulin is based on 1 unit per 15 carbs. You also speak of an adjustment period that is true of any new medication. I'm sure you will do fantastic and it was just aweful day and you felt know one was understanding your question. Incident over the skies have cleared and you are in a lovely mood.

1 like
Pippa999

If you have injected too much insulin then you will be more than likely to experience HYPOGLYCAEMIA which can be very serious and even life threatening😢

Check out signs and symptoms of hypoglycaemia which can be a medical emergency!

You need to address this by taking quick acting carbohydrate eg orange juice, sugary drinks, sweets etc otherwise your blood glucose will drop suddenly causing unconsciousness depending on how MUCH insulin you have injected?

The HbA1c result is not a HERE and NOW result. It is how well controlled yourBG level is over two-three months!👍

1 like
Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
in reply to Pippa999

You repeated same info- TWICE.. and TOO Generic --every one knows this.

1 like
Pippa999
Pippa999
in reply to Fatbuddy

I would suggest you clarify your query explicitly!

ThreeSmiles
ThreeSmilesStar
in reply to Pippa999

Hi Pippa - see cherv’s response above. I’m sure you will understand 😁.

1 like
Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
in reply to Pippa999

sorry my friend - first time I saw your same post twice--

just check your chat messages and reply

1 like
Activity2004
in reply to Fatbuddy

I've taken care of it, Fatbuddy. No worries.

Everything okay today?

mrjoe
mrjoe
in reply to Fatbuddy

It appears that you are "oversmart". If you know everything, then why do you even care to ask a question. Your answers come out as rude person

1 like
Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
in reply to mrjoe

you have misunderstood. First read my post and question.

Yes I know a lot- and have been active in three different forums -

But situation is so different --just trying to understand better -

StillConcerned

When I referred to an excess of insulin, I was meaning hyperinsulinaemia with higher than normal insulin levels in the blood, not the response of the blood glucose.

What we would benefit from appreciating is that the body only uses about 130g per day in the form of carbohydrate. Consuming more than that demands further insulin, but the excess of carbohydrate is converted by lipogenesis. This is what happens with gorillas in captivity for example when they are fed fruit instead of their natural, fibrous vegetation diet. As a result, they get heart disease.

As stated elsewhere, having unregulated amounts of carbohydrate and adjusting the dosage of insulin to achieve normal blood glucose levels is an unsafe practice. Keep to less than 130g of carbohydrate per day (low Gi), because that is what the body uses.

Our guts are designed to eat macronutrients in the approximate proportions that we use them; majority fat (favouring monounsaturates).

Fatbuddy

**** What we would benefit from appreciating is that the body only uses about 130g per day in the form of carbohydrate. ****

What is the source of above info .. any Medical Journal Article or study ?

***** As stated elsewhere, having unregulated amounts of carbohydrate and adjusting the dosage of insulin to achieve normal blood glucose levels is an unsafe practice. *****

Unsafe in what way ? what are negative effects ?

You need to read and understand my question...

I dont mean Excess --excess -- what I am saying is -

Is it Better to have a lower A1C with more insulin OR higher A1C with lower

insulin ?

At my age of 74 ... normal A1C of 7.0 to 7.5 is acceptable by medical profession.

1 like
Activity2004
in reply to Fatbuddy

Every person is different. If the doctor said that your A1c can be between 7 and 7.5, then that's right for you. If you're higher right now, aim for 7.5 and then slowly bring it down to the 7. :-)

Fatbuddy

No mine is lower - few months ago it was 6.3. That's why I posted this question. Will lower my dosage and increase A1C --that is my goal.

I have read several years ago - for any one over age 65 -- NOT to have tight control over A1C - specifically taking medicine. Because side effects of medicine outweighs the benefits.

Activity2004
in reply to Fatbuddy

In some cases that’s true. It depends on the person.

HiddenThis reply has been deleted
Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
in reply to Hidden

You did NOT read my post and question I have .. I know what you saying. Been a memeber for over 10 years --

Question is - what is BETTER -- to have higher A1C and lower dosage of insulin?

1 like
Pippa999
Pippa999
in reply to Fatbuddy

Your HbA1c looks good and according to THE DAFNE course you match insulin dosage, ie quick acting to carbohydrate intake to achieve optimal BG control.

Your post actually scared me because I thought you could be in hypoglycaemia??

Regards

2 likes
Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
in reply to Pippa999

My A1C is good -- low - because of Insulin. I want to get rid of insulin and get back on Metformin.

shivathmika

Even metformin is not good in the long run . If it is really efficacious , what is the need of taking it for years , that also by going on increasing the dosages .Now a days every third person is suffering with this malady known as diabetes . Going for herbs like TINASPORA CARDIFOLIA and regulating life style in diet , stress and sleep , one can achieve what one achieves with metformin or insulin . I had tested this on many . For the kind info of many in the forum many doctors of modern medicine also do not practice what they preach and go for alternate medicine privately . I can 't bring all the testimonials or certificates from them . It is a very harsh and unpalatable truth .

cherv
cherv
in reply to Pippa999

It scared me the amount of SA insulin seemed veryy high to me!

1 like
shivathmika

It is better to have higher A1C and lower dosage of insulin after 70 Even cholesterol can be up to 200 at that age .

Fatbuddy

Thank you .. do you have any study - medical article as reference ??

1 like
shivathmika

I do not have any medical article as reference but have ample practical reference of 40 years by practicing alternative medicine .

2 likes
Fatbuddy

That is excellent sir - hope you have an Ayurvedic degree - 4 years or 6 years course in India. I do like and appreciate the science of natural herbs / therapies.

**** Going for herbs like TINASPORA CARDIFOLIA and regulating life style in diet , stress and sleep , one can achieve what one achieves with metformin or insulin . I had tested this on many *****

Out of your 40 years practice--how much data do you have, how many patients treated with above formula ? How many years ? how is the progress in A1C and sugar spike control over 5 to 8 years ? does any patient have any complications -- like eye problem, kidney problem or heart problem after 10 or 15 years of using your formula.

Does i come in only one dose ?? for all - young and adults or seniors ?

Did the formula developer have or done any Clinical Trials ( as per medical

science standards ) ??

I assume - you did NOT develop that formula. Who is the original developer of

formula ? do they have Patent ? Do they make it at FDA approved type or similar Indian Government approved facility - ( like Ranbaxy ) --

If yes-- it is possible to get a LOAN or GRANT money from UN - to have a Published Article and live presentation at AAPI, ADA, or AMA conferences.

The idea is to use your experience --to help 1000s more Indians and other Diabetic Persons around the world.

You should take the lead as CHALLENGE and higher some Ayurvedic students to help you document data and analyze and present in simple format.

By the way - we have so many members - from India - or Indian Origin --living in USA and UK -- in this forum -- so far NO one ever mentioned that formula being used by them.

1 like
shivathmika

My experience is supported by family tradition , Mine is a free clinic and my aim is to reach out those who can't afford to spend fortunes on medical bills . After getting to know about a particular herb I experiment it on me and later on family members and close circles who just take whatever I give with out questioning .In fact even doctors in my circle go by my recommendations .For nearly 30 years I experimented many medicines and herbs on me and in course of time had become immune to any disease . I never get coughs , colds , fevers , gastrointestinal problems , flus , swine flus , Dengue or any other bacterial or infectious diseases . So seeing is believing for them . I don't want to make the formulas public as the greedy pharma companies exploit them for profits . Then again no two individuals are same , just as no two people have same same finger prints . Of course now science and technology have reached a stage where the researches are dooming the humanity . The latest findings about brainwearables are going to do the ultimate damage to the privacy and life of the people . Just as organ transplantation has led to the mass scale misuse in stealing the organs of illiterate and poor vulnerable patients in another 10 years brains are going to be stolen or the memories are going to be erased for the benefit of greedy individuals . The entire medical fraternity is sold to the big pharma companies . Thus diabetes is created , nurtured and promoted by pharma companies in collusion with unscrupulous doctors .The reason for the so called diabetes is excess intake of food and junk food which gets converted in to fat and gets stored in all the organs of the body thus making them dysfunctional in course of time .Diabetes is not a disease and does not manifest over night .Controlled life habits slowly vanquish the menace . Tinaspora cardifolia ,definitely controls that condition . Even modern medicine with all its claims controls only but not eradicates diabetes .ANY way an experiment on a handful of people can not give the correct picture and can not be called research ,

1 like
shivathmika

People who had been cured of their ailments never suffered any adverse results and never had peripheral neuropathy , blindness , kidney problems , dementia , depression or heart problems . They had natural peaceful deaths at ripe old age . Proof of pudding is in eating ---they say . There is no need for certificates aided by pharma companies and sold out medical mafia .

1 like
Fatbuddy

Thank you. That is very nice of you. May be you have 100 million dollars as inheritance - so you don't have to work at all. may be you are not married and have a house piad up. Admire your FREE service.

This is NOT about immune system- cold, flu etc

May be you will live to 200 years strong- and will never have bone fracture or eye glasses or cataract.

Yes - some people say - pharma companies are greedy - but at least they have something that many people need. -- they spend money on new development and research - advanced technology with smart engineers, pharmacist and doctors working together.

Do you farm your own food, grains, vegetables, milk ?

Good Luck to you and your service -- keep it up for 100 more years.

shivathmika

I am from a middle class family and do not have any inheritance . Precisely that is the reason of my foray in to alternative medicine Diabetes is a lifestyle disorder which needs lifestyle changes and may be a couple of herbs locally available . Leaves of many trees found around us have many health benefits , ponganiaa pinnata Ficus religiosa , Amla , Neem , Mangifera indica , syzeezium and creepers like Gymena sylvester ,Tinaspora , plants like ocimum .Boerhavia diffusa and many many have super health benefits . For the kind information of many intellectuals and admirers of modern medicine the scientific research is turning towards nature now a days . Gingkobiloba is found to be the best for peripheral neuropathy and circulatory problems in general . Mangifera indica together with Gingkobiloba is the beat treatment option for vitiligo . Brahmi and Ashwagandha are millon times better than all the sleeping tabletsput together . Most of these herbs and leaves of medicinal trees are freely available in our neighbourhood . But the mindset of people has become a slave to everything that is modern and western . We have to take whatever is good in scientific research . In the process one should not have a scorn for our traditional knowledge and life science like Ayurveda .

1 like
Fatbuddy

That is a lot of balony -- I am from India. I know all these --but not as good.

You wrote lot of generic info- NOT related to the subject and question in post.

You can write a book your self...

Jerry
JerryAdministrator
in reply to Fatbuddy

Hi Fatbuddy I agree with shivathmika that everyone needs to look at lifestyle choices and I think that some very interesting points have come up on this post and it is not fair to ask someone to stop replying. DI is a support forum and we should all try and support one another.

Thank you,

Jerry.

4 likes
Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
in reply to Jerry

Thank you Jerry -- yes - every one should have chance to share personal experience as well as make comment or suggestions -- ONLY as long as it is related to the subject -

in the POST or to answer my question --

He has written a long reply-- which has NO relations to my issues - questions.

Yes- every one knows that Diet and Life Style changes - can help diabetic person.

I have been doing both for 15 years --

Thank you again --No hard feelings or insulting any one.

1 like
sandybrown

May be the following video clips may help.

The above is from cholesterol support.

First 15 minutes very interesting, case study. In the middle of cholesterol discussion insulin resistance comes in!

A GP discussing her own experience in controlling diabetes.

diabetes.co.uk/in-depth/kat...

2 likes
Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
in reply to sandybrown

You do NOT understand my question.

T2 means insulin resistance. There is NO cholesterol issue.

read my post again - please

** I saw part of video -- first 6 to 8 minutes - talking about heart attack and cholesterol. You need to read my post here about " Diabetes and Heart Attack " - my own case -

One in 500 million people may have experienced what I did. There is NO explanation or studies about what happened to me and why or how ..

1 like
Fatbuddy

No one NEEDS to get mad or angry -- this is Discussion forum to help each other understand and help some members with specific situation. Personally I do NOT feel bad -- but some memebers may get offended -- if some one try to make jokes -

1 like
Activity2004
in reply to Fatbuddy

That's right. All forums/groups/communities on HU are here to help everyone. No one is making jokes. :-)

Pippa999

Hi Fatbuddy,

I am actually very slim, but could be your buddy?

As you probably know already Type 2 diabetes according to many research studies, is reversible, preventable and NOT autoimmune as in type 1 diabetes.

In fact there is a strong link between type 2 diabetes and obesity as highlighted by PUBLIC HEALTH ENGLAND:

assets.publishing.service.g...

Enjoy reading the paper! The greatest danger with fat is actually paunch fat around the stomach which leads to insulin resistance. Get the BMI correct😃

1 like
Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
in reply to Pippa999

Hello- Pippa -- Please NOTE --this is NOT a DATING site. you can send me private text message. ...

Please NOTE - I am very skinny -- person - NOT FAT .. my BMI is 18 ( 19 )..

I did NOT read that article.

I have not seen any articles or studies - to Reverse Diabetes.

Yes it may be preventable or delayed by few years or controlled to avoid complications --

*** You have just joined - I am a member for few years and have been active - reading for 10 years. I believe in preventive therapies - diet and exercise -- please check some of my posts and responses to others.

1 like
gangadharan_nair

Excess insulin (overdose) in the bloodstream causes cells in your body to absorb too much glucose (sugar) from your blood.

Symptoms of low blood sugar may include:

* sweating and clamminess.

* chills.

* lightheadedness or dizziness.

* mild confusion.

* anxiety or nervousness.

* shakiness.

* rapid heartbeat.

* hunger.

* irritability

* double vision or blurred vision

* tingling in the lips or around the mouth

These signs indicate a mild or moderate case of hypoglycemia. However, they still require immediate attention so they don’t lead to dangerously low blood sugar. People who have low blood sugar levels should eat 15 grams of a fast digesting carbohydrate, such as glucose tablets or a high-sugar food. High-glucose foods include:

* raisins

* soda

* fruit juice

* honey

* candy

Your symptoms should improve within 15 minutes of eating.

You should check blood sugar daily and increase/ decrease your insulin dosage by 2 units based on blood sugar level.

Fatbuddy

Thank you my friend Gangadharan ...

May be the Post Heading is misleading --

You need to read my post and question ....

What you said is true and I know about low sugar and symptoms.

Also- your comment about 2 units is too much. Each unit of insulin Decreases

BS by 40 points. --- I have a chart - given by endo doctor --that I for additional

insulin required.

My question -- Is it better to lower insulin dosage to increase A1C

OR to reduce dosage and raise A1C -- ??

At age 74 -- I am okay with A1C of 7.0 to 7.5.

Fatbuddy

@ mrjoe and @ sandybrown ---- October 13, 2019 Sunday

***** """ My diabetic specialist at Kaiser Hospital in USA told me that up to 60 years age A1C up to 6.0, 60 to 70 up to 7 and 70 to 80 up to 8 is OK """ *****

There are NO new Guide Lines as such. There is NO Universal Rule--

The above is a generic statement and may apply to most diabetics but not all.

This could be a Separate POST ( topic ) for discussion.

However -- I have read few years back - yes there was an article in Medical Journal - indicating the fact that many doctors agree --that it is better to have higher A1C as person gets older - only because the side effects of medicines outweigh the benefits.

In other words- no need to have tight control of sugar and A1C - by taking medicine ( or insulin) - for people over age 65. May be another reason in USA - is that Medicare can save money --

Each individual person - has different body chemistry and metabolism. So each one has to monitor and decide what he ( she ) wants to achieve. Self discipline in diet control and exercise is best.

Still - every one needs to watch and monitor Sugar Spikes --to prevent any complications.

1 like
Fatbuddy

Again --this does not answer my question. Does additional units of insulin ( not excess )

have any negative side effects ??

1 like
Fatbuddy

This may NOT be directly related to answer to my post - but may HELP many others.

@ Shivathmika -- Since you have 40 years experience in Alternate Medicine --

please explain what do you mean by -- Regulating

A. Life Style ?? what do you recommend in general for all Diabetics

B. Stress -- How do you determine stress ? how do you decide the intensity of stress ?

how do you monitor stress ?

I am always happy person - always smiling and helping nature.

However, few months ago - when I had a heart failure ( unknown reason ),

my brother thinks it is due to stress ...

C. Diet : - What is your suggestions - what do you advise to your patients for type of diet,

socially for Indians - Vegetarians.

Thank you in advance for input - if necessary - you can answer in a NEW post - so that other members can benefit and ask more questions.

PLEASE NOTE -- WE ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO ADVERTISE FOR ANY SPECIFIC MEDICINE OR COMPANY NAMES WITHOUT PERMISSION FROM MODERATOR.

1 like
Fatbuddy

HOW MUCH INSULIN ?? October 15, 2019 08:00 pm ( USA - EST )

@ Cherv -- *****It scared me the amount of SA insulin seemed very high to me! ******

I am NOT sure what SA means -- Short Acting ??

Some one else had made a similar comment - 38 units is too much.

Too Much for what ? for what purpose ?

Yes, currently I take 38 units - Levemir - Long Acting - in the morning.

When I was in hospital--they did NOT control my sugar properly. Many times it was over 350. Nurse gave insulin at 5 :30 pm and dinner come at 8 pm. Anyway - After I was discharged, and went to see Edo doctor- he suggested 34 units -- initially, But it did not help- I was still getting high BS - before lunch. So he increased to 38 units. Now it is lot better most of the day - under 200.

*** Cherv, please reply under right comment.

Activity2004
in reply to Fatbuddy

SA is Short Acting insulin.

Fatbuddy

thank you-- thats what I thought --just wanted to clarify.

Activity2004
in reply to Fatbuddy

It’s okay! Ask anytime.😀👍

You may also like...