FASTING BS vs A1C ??: Hello friends - now... - Diabetes India

Diabetes India
60,601 members11,514 posts

FASTING BS vs A1C ??

Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
47 Replies

Hello friends - now I am confused. Yes I understand that most doctors around the world say - if fasting BS is over 130 -- a person is diabetic -- or if A1C is over 5.8 ( 6.0 ) - a person is Diabetic.

However, what is more critical - A1C or Fasting BS ?

I am already a T2 Diabetic for 23 years and I am 74 years young skinny guy.

After my heart attack ( failure ) and I am now on Insulin. My A1C - most recent was 6.3. However, my fasting bs is always above 140 - for last four weeks.

What do you all think-- just brain storming for opinions.

47 Replies
oldestnewest
Bala57

you are 74, and 6.3 is a decent score. Just relax and do not think too much.

2 likes
Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
in reply to Bala57

You do NOT read --- properly.

I am NOT worried. 6.3 A1C - with Insulin ..

Before --with Metformin and Glimpiride-- below 7.0

What is more IMPORTANT ? A1C or Fasting BS ??

StillConcerned

Ultimately, the amount of insulin you need to attain an HbA1c of less than 5.8% needs to be within normal parameters. dailymail.co.uk/health/arti... When you achieve this, you're in remission.

Fatbuddy

Sorry - disagree -- my goal is to keep A1C at 6.8 to 7.0 or 7.3

If I can manage with just tablets and no Insulin injections - it is better.

StillConcerned

I think we've been here before. There's nothing to gain by standing toe to toe with someone who recently had a heart attack.

God be with you Fatbuddy.

Fatbuddy

You NEED to read my post about Diabetes and Heart Attack

There is NO GOD

You did NOT answer my question.. Is it good to have lower A1C or lower Fasting ??

Is fasting BS of 100 to 152 better ??

StillConcerned

It's a futile question. Its like asking whether it is better to bathe in hydrochloric acid or sulphuric acid?

Fatbuddy

That means all INFO and studies on Diabetes are wrong. Pharma companies promoting drugs

StillConcerned
Prakash5k

Your answers are funny. Humour is required to keep reading these posts.

rnpath
rnpath
in reply to Fatbuddy

neither. but a figure in between the two

rnpath
rnpath
in reply to Fatbuddy

FBS and HBA1c are not comparable.please understand their basic value.better for a known diabetic to keep safe FBS above 130 and a reasonable HBA1c around 8.for senior citizens with around less than 10yrs life expectancy

Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
in reply to rnpath

Can NOT have both.. Read my question again please

FBS above 130 is safe ? who says that ? any Medical Journal article ?

A1C above 8.0 ?? and then get kidney Dialysis ?

rnpath
rnpath
in reply to Fatbuddy

please see the answer inits perspective

.it was meant for seniordiabetics in the evening of their lives

the ,objective being to avoid hypoglycemic spells and complications resulting from that.

the quality of life,energy etc with tighter control ofFBS and HBA1c is not worth it at that point of age and future.

dont bother about references and quotations

1 like
lxm_rng
lxm_rng
in reply to Bala57

Yes. Great control

1 like
Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
in reply to lxm_rng

NO--not good- I like to stop taking insulin and get back to tablets --

Even doctor ( Endo) told me --it is okay to have A1C between 7.0 and 7.5

Which is true for any one over age 65 years --

kanaujiavijay

It was earlier that pharma cos have managed to lower the BG levels and made billions. Now the study shows that, it ok to have target HbA1c levels between 7-8 depending upon the other induced severity symptoms like peripheral neuropathy, cardiac, eye and kidney conditions. Study link is available in this forum as well as google.

Fatbuddy

It is wrong -- if a diabetic person keeps A1C above 6.5 --- he may have much higher sugar -- and will have more chances of having PAD, eye and kidney problems.

Why wait till have problems -- may be doctors want to make more money or eye and kidney surgery or heart surgeries --

rnpath
rnpath
in reply to Fatbuddy

your old family physicians advice is better than your endocrinologist.you can reduce your insulin dose, but dont take it off abruptly without your physicians advice.

Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
in reply to rnpath

Thank you -- I am NOT planning to take off insulin completely. Do NOT have any input from old physician --only dealing with Endo- now

kanaujiavijay

I think that recent studies in US now it has been found that target level of HbA1c should be between 7-8 and going with that maintaining 130 mg/dl FBS is fine.

Fatbuddy

That is a FRAUD -- gimmicks by Pharma company - send me study reference - please.

Yes - I read several years ago - about suggestion - NOT to have tight control of A1C for elder people over age 65 -- because side effects of medicine outweighs the good it will do.

For me- my endo told me 7.0 to 7.5 is okay. But my case is totally different.

You missed the point - read my question again, please.

How do I maintain fasting of 130 ? mine is in 140 to 150 most times.

kkmworldno1

Keep every thing what you do as usual do this natural thing as below, and try, nothing worst would happen (I strongly feel) as its natural.

1. Take Black Cumin seeds 20g

2. Take 50g Fenugreek seeds 50g

Mix and grind them well. Keep the mixture in air tight container.

(a) Take approx 1/2 table spoon of this mixture and boil it in water (1 and 1/2 normal glass-say a total 300 mL), and let the quantity reduced to about 200mL.

Cool down to a temperature similar to usual Hot tea generally we sip.

Take this about 30 mins, before going to bed.

Take FBS in the morning and record the readings (obviously 12 hrs to be maintained from Dinner to morning FBS test timing).

Do this for 3 days and see. In all probability the FBS should come down.

Why i say, probability, is because i am not doctor, and this is a natural one, and may effect on differently based one body nature.

Fatbuddy

thank you so much my dear --do you have an Indian Husband ?/ This is an old Indian

therapy--but hard to do .. I used to take Fenugreek - soaked in water over night and drink water in morning.

Yes- No one is doctor here -- regardless, I do understand that any natural therapy or even medicine can affect differently to different people.

WHY NEED TO LOWER FBS ? What happens if above 140 ??

What is more important ? FBS or A1C ??

kkmworldno1

hi

i don't have husband, i have wife. :)

if this is hard thing to do, how much more simple you want? but you did not say, what was the impact after taking Fenugreek soaked water. by the way you need to swallow the seeds as well in the morning, not just water. Fenugreek seeds' peel has very high, if not HIGHEST, percentage of dietary fibre, in any edible seeds.

coming to your question about which one of FBS and A1C, is important.

well, FBS and A1C are indicators and tell /indicate about the status of functioning of organs relevant. each one tells different indication.

if FBS is fluctuating (say have high value) more indicates, the 'diet' and the activity that you consumed/ or done the previous night / day has not been able to handled properly by the system and thus have a direct link to such FBS values and the reason behind such value is due to functional disorder of some related organs.

If FBS is not much fluctuating, then A1C also doesn't change much. in such cases, both measurements indicate the same information about metabolic functioning.

Now, FBS is fluctuating, but A1C is shows well within norms, means that, though at times your diet is affecting, say high results, but as A1C is OK, means, you were only occassionally doing something that makes high values of FBS but not frequently. then there is no immediate risk. But , if you control those diets/(or work out regime etc) done on that particular day before, on which you got more FBS, then it indicates A1C can also be maintained.

So, FBS tells you immediate indications about what things affecting you more worst, so that you can have check on them to maintain long-term indicator, i.e A1C .

The FBS is like 'internal and more frequent exams for testing students' knowledge" and to give more focus on those subjects in which the students got less marks, so that in the final exam, he could maintain good score. The final exam is A1C.

I am sure you already KNOW all these. But i wrote this as also to let others know.

but if you really want to know which one is more important? this is the answer, if you have sensitivity in differentiating objectivity of scientific measurements.

Fatbuddy

***** you were only occasionally doing something that makes high values of FBS but not frequently. then there is now immediate risk. *****

what type immediate risk ??

yes -it may be related to what I ate night before --

But what is wrong if my FBS is 140 to 150 -- ??

***** If FBS is not much fluctuating, then A1C also doesn't change much. in such cases, both measurements indicate the same information about metabolic functioning. *****

Not sure about this - DISAGREE. A1C - will more dependent on day time, evening time and night time blood sugar - some spikes - will raise A1C. However, I have low BS in after noon and evenings - mostly.

By the way - I did eat Fenugreek seeds also- some times I add to vegetable I am cooking. That was 3 years ago and I did NOT monitor - much - not much difference in my A1C.

I have also heard about Apple Cider Vinegar - one or two spoons before meal. But I did NOT monitor that either.

kkmworldno1

OK.

You only READ /HEAR what you want to LISTEN. This is not a research blog, neither research article, nor a text book, to make you explain from the fundamentals and each every technical explanation of 'words' used in replies. You have to make SENSE and ESSENCE out of the 'replies', if you want to KNOW things.

No body can make you understand.

Anyway, its True. A1C depends on the BS values through out a specific period. Then you might also KNOW what and how A1C is concept and all about. IF SO, you can easily make out answer yourself, to your Question what Happens when FBS is > 140?

God bless you.

Fatbuddy

Thank you

My goal is to raise A1c to 7.0 to 7.5 with less insulin.

kkmworldno1

Raise A1C???

Fatbuddy

yes - my friend . You need to read my post and question.

Few weeks ago, my A1C was 6.3. and I like to raise to between 7.0 and 7.5.

The purpose is to minimize insulin dosage. You need to read my post again.

Please read my post - " Excess Insulin Side Effects "" -

kkmworldno1

1. Who on this earth keep remembering and reading again and again, about your queries and answer, from these loooong posts from different people trying to help you.

2. Raising A1C means adding more sugar in stream. eat those items which raise sugar. is it not that simple? removing sugar from the stream is difficult but is it not easy to inject more? or am I still missing some of your posts, i need to consider to answer you? I don't understand what you want to know from people to raise sugar levels and make raise A1C?

3. Who on this earth you believe? Doctors? Endos? Pharmas? those people who trying to help? your family? your instruments?

4. Actually, as a reply to one of the people here, you mentioned that you are not worried. In real sense you are worried it seems. or you have AMPLE time at your disposal, just reading and reading and writing to people and replying to find answer that you WANT to hear. If you read anything that DONT want to hear/read, you simply DISAGREEING.

This will be my last reply ( of course no body forced me to write reply) to you for THIS question.

Enjoy.

Fatbuddy

Thank you --- you still don't get it ..

Shayu
Shayu
in reply to kkmworldno1

Your answer is well thought out. I like your answer. I am also learning from this forum to control my diabetes. Thanks a lot and you have a good day.

1 like
rnpath
rnpath
in reply to Fatbuddy

simple.

titrate down the calories of your dinner and no snacks after dinner

Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
in reply to rnpath

what do you mean ? explain in more details and what do we achieve ?

rnpath
rnpath
in reply to Fatbuddy

whatever you choose for dinner,take away one third of it and keep it away for next day, continue your antidiabetic drugs as usual .avoid any snacks or drinks except water after that and go to sleep.see the difference in your FBS next morning

Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
in reply to rnpath

Thank you sir . My circumstances are so different --unusual - than normal diabetics.'

I have had diabetes for over 23 years and was in control with only tablets - and A1C

was under 7.0 most of the times.

However, for some unknown reason - I had heart failure and that havoc my pancreas ( I think ), and my BS was out of control during hospital stay for 24 days. In the hospital they did NOT control my BS well - even with insulin.

Finally after 4 months - trial and error - I am coming close to control-- Yes, I will still have to take insulin for a while - until my Endo doctor advises other wise. I am not

taking medicine ( tablets ) any more.

My last A1C six weeks ago was 6.3.

My dinner - portion is fixed - every day - most days - and I do not want to cut it down.

My question is -- what is the benefit of lowering fasting BS ?

In other words - what is wrong? what is damaging effect to my health ( body ), if my fasting BS is in 140 to 150 range ... several days a week, but my A1C is still within

my goal of 7.0 to 7.5 ?

rnpath
rnpath
in reply to Fatbuddy

being a senior diabetic could you not be a bit more accommodating regarding your future goals.

let lab reports guide but not dictate your regimens.

if your FBS is 140,but you had no signs of hypoglycemia early morning you are fine provided your fasting urine sample is sugar free.

HBA1c is altogether a different yardstick and 7.5 may not be ideal but OK.

My earlier suggestion for reducing the FBS from 150 down was by titrating down the total colories of your dinner.

Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
in reply to rnpath

Hypoglycemia -- yes , in first few weeks, I was having severe - low BS - and at times - midlle of the night ( 3:30 - 04:00 am ) - woke up with perspiration all over upper body.

Also few times in the after noon ( 05:30 pm ) , because I had skipped snack with tea.

I used to keep 8 oz - orange juice - on my night table - just in case. I drink immediately and check sugar again after 15 minutes.

But now, no problem. I learned to eat snacks in the after noon.

And for night time - as per doctor, I checked sugar before bed ( 11:00 to 11:30 pm ) and if it is below 100 -- I eat snack. One nurse used to come home- suggested to eat protein abse snack - - peanut butter. I dont like it, but I eat almost butter with two or three crackers most every night. After I check BS and before going to sleep.

It helped a lot and kept my fasting below 150 for few weeks. But lately fasting is

going up.

I never checked sugar in urine -- hI have to check and see if home kit is available.

ow will it help ? what do I do if there is sugar in urine ??

At present can not cut calories in dinner -- dont want sugar to go too low again.

I can skip lunch or snacks --during day time. I do carry spoon ful of sugar --in my pocket - all day - when I go out.

rnpath
rnpath
in reply to Fatbuddy

urine sugar testing needs dipstickslike :Diastix> if your 2hr postlinch sample tests negative, your blood sugar is in controlled range.if it is positive,try fasting urine sugartest. if positive your blood sugar is above200 and needs blood sugar confirmation.this way you can save money spent on unnecessary blood testing andpinpricks keep out of peanut butter loaded with saturated fat not meant for diabetics

Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
in reply to rnpath

A. I do not check my bs - 2 hours after lunch.

B. I did not say my fasting is over 200. Mostly 145 to 180.

C. In USA - I get most blood test strips free - every 90 days.

D. I said - I do not like peanut butter - I eat almond butter.

How much saturated fat in one tablespoon peanu t butter or almond butter - in one day ?

One tablespoon of almond butter has only 1.5 gram ( 8 % ) saturated fat.

ThreeSmiles

Hi fatbuddy

May I ask please why you ask these questions on this forum. I have read all of the responses to you and you either contradict them or criticise what they are trying - helpfully - to say.

You seem to know more than anybody - well you claim you do - even more than the doctors, so it seems pointless for you to keep asking questions and reading/responding to answers any more.

I hope you find the answers that match your own thoughts somewhere out there because I don’t think this forum is helping you at all.

Please don’t SHOUT back at me I don’t appreciate being SHOUTED at.

Miles

2 likes
Fatbuddy

Thank you my friend. Yes I know lot about --but NOT more than some experts here.

The questions are due to My Personal Issues - due to unexpected heart failure.

I am T2 Diabetic for 23 years and always took tablets - NOT Insulin.

Now I have to take insulin -- and that's why I have this simple question.

Most peopel answer generic -- which I know. I am trying to find what is really better.

Other reason is for Members to be aware -- what could happen to any one -- no ones

metabolism and body chemistry is same.

I am NOT shouting or offending any one ( not intentionally any way).

rnpath

better to be under care of your family physician even with basic MBBS who are more grounded and know your body much better than endocrinologists whose decisions sometimes lands you in minor problems

Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
in reply to rnpath

At present do not have a GP / PCP - ( primary physician ) - I do NOT have any other issues. I had one Indian ( lady ) doctor for six years - but lately she is not acting properly and moved her office too far from where I live. I need endo- only for diabetes control and prescription for insulin.

rnpath

that is the issue with them as they are not grounded to connect with the rest of you and think and act only on insulin and diabetes,

you can always find another good general physician

You may also like...