EAT MORE FAT --LESS CARBS

A recent study, researchers found that a high-fat diet may reduce mortality.

According to research presented at the European Society of Cardiology’s annual meeting and published in The Lancet, data from 135,000 people in 18 countries over seven years found high fat intake was associated with a lower risk of death, while high carbohydrate consumption increased it. The study also found eating fruits, vegetables, and legumes reduced mortality risks, but the benefit capped off at three to four servings daily. So what does this all mean? Well, a hamburger may be OK to eat, and adding lettuce and tomato to the burger is still good for you, but an excess of white flour burger buns may boost your risk of dying early.

The research team tracked the participants’ health for about seven years on average, with follow-up visits at least every three years. The investigators found that high-carbohydrate diets are common, with more than half of the people deriving 70 percent of their daily calories from carbs.

Lead author Mahshid Dehghan, an investigator with the Population Health Research Institute at McMaster University in Ontario, stated that :

A. *** People with a high fat intake — about 35 percent of their daily diet — had a 23 percent lower risk of early death and 18 percent lower risk of stroke compared to people who ate less fat.

B. *** The researchers also noted that a very low intake of saturated fats (below 3 percent of daily diet) was associated with a higher risk of death in the study, compared to diets containing up to 13 percent daily.

C. *** At the same time, high-carb diets — containing an average 77 percent carbohydrates — were associated with a 28 percent increased risk of death versus low-carb diets, Dehghan said.

The study was scheduled to be presented Tuesday at the European Society of Cardiology annual meeting in Barcelona, Spain. The research was being published online as two studies on Aug. 29 ( 2017 ) in The Lancet.

[ SOURCE : my email- newsletter ] - Diabetes in Control - a newsletter for

Medical Professionals -

Skip

Featured Content

Living with diabetes?

Connect with people like you to get support, advice and tips towards improving your health.

Get started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

28 Replies

oldestnewest
  • This information is quite different from what we know

Did this mean taking a high fat diet is healthy????

Thank you sir great information

• YES -- specially for Diabetics --

If you are following this Frum - you must be a diabetic.

Check many posts by ANUP- and LCHF

LCHF-is Low Carb High Fat diet - and helped many people have control ed sugar and got rid of medicines. each person is different - but most benefit.

Eat good Fat ... read more articles and posts in this forum.

Also- join dLife.In and DietDoctor.com for lot more

• Carbs do the damage. From a T1 for more than 50yrs. I HATE sweet sticky cake etc. Low carb any day of the week, Porridge for breakfast (slow release of energy)

• you should also join- DailyDiabetes.com

• what is good fat ?

• Natural fat. Body fat is 57% mono, 40% saturated and 3% polyunsaturates; the ideal ratio.

Use olives, avocado, nuts, coconut, full-fat dairy, eggs, oily fish, and meat/poultry/game fats.

• NOT much choices for vegetarians !

• WE NOW HEAR MEAT OF ANY TYPE INCLUDING CHICKEN IS BAD FOR DIABETICS ANY TAKE ON THIS

• THAT IS not TRUE--IF IT IS ORGANIC- NON GMO - grass fed - no hormones --then it is okay - other meat - remove most white fat -

• That's a VEGAN's LIE.

• Your diet should consists of the following if you have hypertension or fatty liver disease.

Get plenty of vegetables, fruits, and fat-free or low-fat dairy

Include whole grains, beans, seeds, nuts, and vegetable oils

Eat lean meats, poultry, and fish

Cut back on salt, red meat, sweets, and sugary drinks

Limit alcoholic beverages

Sources:--

medlineplus.gov/ency/patien...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DASH_...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medit...

medlineplus.gov/ency/patien...

• Reduced fat dairy demands higher insulin loads. Whole grains, beans, or fruits are all high in carbohydrate; glucose to our body. Lean protein is the fastest way to deplete the liver of vitamin A.

Please explain how these help?

• @Gangadharan -- you always provide links - from google...

My point is --if a person is Diabetic - ( which is original cause for high BP ) - should control sugar first and count carbs --

what you recommend has too many carbs and not enough fat -

fat should be 60- 65 % and carbs should be less than 20 % -

One has to do trial and error and see which helps reduce BP

and at the same time -keep sugar under control as much as possible.

Your info - suggestions may be appropriate for a non - diabetic with high BP.

• No sir iam not a diabetic

But I want to know about diabetes so iam following this

• That's great sir--knowledge is power... Please learn and pass on to others --Help more people educate --

• It means what we've been led to believe is a balanced diet is flawed. The recommended daily amount for a Western male has been 300g carbohydrate, 260g for a female, whereas most people's body only uses about half that in the form of carbohydrate. The rest is then converted to fat, for use or storage. It's much better to eat the natural fat that provides the vitamins and minerals we need too, rather than eat the excess of carbs to undergo this conversion, and suffer the abnormally high-insulin levels that battle to try and maintain blood glucose at acceptable levels. For every person that has type 2 DM, there are another 4 that have insulin resistance.

• If a diabetic patient has high blood pressure, he should take low fat diet.

Sources:--

google.co.in/search?ei=1GW3...

google.co.in/search?ei=JH23...

• That has been mainstream advice for over forty years. Where is the evidence to support it?

1g carbohydrate holds about 3g water in the body, increasing blood volume. Many carbohydrates also stimulate higher levels of insulin, increasing blood volume. High levels of insulin also means high levels of insulin-like growth factor (IGF-1), which causes growth of the endothelial lining of arteries. Narrowed arteries + increased blood volume = high blood pressure.

• seems like you got it wrong. It says - eat LESS carbs --

Sorry - I replied too early

Just Noticed that you were replying to Gangadharan -- about BP

• yes- I just raed in another book- high insulin can also affect appo ( a) -

• @ Gangadharan -- What is more critical - Diabetes or BP ?

Out of control diabetes is one of the cause for high BP. Should have low carb -NOT low fat diet - if Diabetic.

• Is it the question ? what is critical diebetes or BP ?

• yes- person's priority for health ...

• Both, and the prevention is 10% protein, 30% low Gi carbs, 60% natural fats of which approximately 57% mono, 40% saturated, 3% polyunsaturates.

• Both are related. Get the sugar down to non diabetic range and BP also will correct in most cases.

• 35% FAT is not high. Yes by ADA/AMA/VEGAN definition it is high.

For us, on LCHF diet, 60% FAT is normal intake.

• yes doctor-- I know-- I have seen up to 80 % fat --

The article was copied from other email--I did NOT want to change much..or elaborate.

Thanks -hope other diabetics will take a note.

• 35 5 fat - is what they used for study. Yes LCHF should have 60 to 75 % fat. I have seen - read up to 85 % fat -- and got rid of insulin - for Type 1.

It is hard to get enough fat and protein - for vegetarians.

You may also like...