No rice no wheat then what to eat?

We Indians every day have rice and chapati in our meal. It's possible to avoid rice. But, how can we avoid wheat chapati? What can we eat with Sabji? Not possible to eat non- vegetables every day.

Last edited by
Skip

Featured Content

Living with diabetes?

Connect with people like you to get support, advice and tips towards improving your health.

Get started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

37 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Coconut, most nuts, avocado, olive(s) oil, meat fats, duck/goose fat, crackling, dripping, lard, butter, ghee, eggs, full-fat dairy such as paneer, cheese, (double) cream, curds, whole milk...

You may be okay with small amounts of lentils, chickpeas, beans from dry. Most above-ground vegetables are fine.

• What about Quinoa as a wheat/rice substitute, Indian1960? I'm on a gluten free diet along with counting my carbs for diabetes health and I eat Quinoa as a side dish and/or a meal.

• Do you have medication Activity2004?

• Concerned,

What type of medication are you asking about? I'm a little confused. Sorry. Please explain.

• Are you taking medication to keep your blood glucose levels acceptable?

• I'm on two types of insulin every day (slow acting 3 times a day; long acting at bed time). I'm type 1. I also use the DEXCOM CGM G4 Platnium with Share system.

• Thank you for that. Would you say it is necessary for someone who doesn't use medication to try something, such as quinoa, for themselves to see what effect it has on their blood glucose?

Do you have a target for your carb intake, or do you adjust your insulin most meals?

• Not as a requirement. It depends on the person. Not everything works for everyone, Concerned.

• I carb count and then decide what has to be taken. It's on a sliding scale. Breakfast carbs are around 19-25. Lunch is 40-50. Dinner is between 70-80 carbs..

• My friend--that seems too much. If you can go on LCHF-- keep carbs less than 100 grams per day --you can reduce Insulin intake --

Since you are American and eat meat--you have better choices.

• Dear Admin, Quinoa is not readily available in India and I checked on online websites (amazon) it's 40 times costlier than wheat... 1 kg wheat 25 rs..1 kg quinoa 1000 rs

• What does that convert to for USA Dollars?

• 1000 rs is around 15 USD

• All brands are the same, or is that just for one type of brand?

• You could also consume millets as a substitute to Quinoa. About Rs 90 / 500 GM pack. For 40+ years I had been a chapati/roti eater and have slowly brought in other grains into the mix- bajra (Can get in Dalia, flour- u can make Roti's out of it), oat flour- roti's/Chila, brown rice, red rice, besan- Chila, roti, Millets- great substitute for rice, You can make millets biryani/pulao, lemon rice with Millets.

You have plenty of options. :-)

And I don't miss the wheat rotis or white rice. The one thing I will say is that when you start to consume these for a period of time your body does tell you it's preference/ gives feedback. Incidentally I have had multiple tests over the years for gluten intolerance and I'm not intolerant but my stomach responds much better reducing gluten intake.

• Small amount of Quinoa is okay for Type 2-- But don't recommend every day. It also has carbs --

• No need to cut down totally.Be aware of how much you are eating and cut down to minimum level,depending on your physical activity.

• Indian1960 -- Hello again my friend --

First like to know your A1C s for last six to 9 months. Are you Type 2 Diabetic ?

Its a state of mind. I quit rice 32 years ago - when my TG was 400 and my doctor ( Indian )

told me to stop rice and potatoes. Today my TG is only 82.

I know its hard for a woman- specially married with children and parents living together -

where you( woman) has to cook and do other house work.. But LIFE IS SO PRECIOUS.

So taking acre of- and preventing Future Damage to eyes or kidneys is important.

I have - myself have taken 1o injections in both eyes for Retinopathy. This treatment is

NOT available in India and may be too expensive.

My point is-- more you pay attention and take care --better off and avoid complications.

Yes- you can figure out and love to live without Rice and Wheat.

The reason I stopped eating Wheat - four years ago- is that I read and purchased a book

on Inflammation - causing Diabetes and also affecting arteries. I am skinny - and cholesterol are okay- still have minor 35 % artery blockage. can NOT figure out how did

it happen and what caused. Only thing I can think of is my diabetes out of control for

a while-- Not paying attention, NOT monitoring -- in beginning five to 10 years. My doctor

( Gujarati ) told me I can eat anything and every thing.

But now- I do NOT even eat Pizza - and NO soft drinks any kind for four years.

MY body is different and still NOT in control. Also as we age-- body hormones changes and

now I take two medicines ever day.

WHAT TO EAT :

Basically - more raw vegetables - slightly cooked - or stir fry in ghee or olive oil. Also

make a green drink or fruit smoothie. More snacks in between- peanuts, walnuts and almonds. Add whey protein to water or milk or smoothie. Add Virgin ( organic) Coconut

Oil or Ghee ( two spoons) to milk or smoothie OR even vegetables.

Think - are you Living to Eat or eating To Live ?

I eat mostly one thepla and cup of coconut milk in morning - breakfast - and in evening

- Palak Panner, or Malai Kofta . OR Daal Makhani , OR Dudhi Channa ,-- Subji only with

1/2 banana - or nothing else.

You have to estimate how many calories you need - and then make menu - counting

carbs - you can eat no more than one or two chaptis - if no other carbs --

Check dLife.in - for LCHF recipes.

Keep total daily carbs less than 150 grams - and monitor for two weeks - after each meal.

If you are NOT having any sugar spikes ( BS over 140 - 2 hours after meal) -you are okay.

If NOT - by trial a nd error - eliminate some carbs - and reduce to 100 grams per day.

For each meal - lunch and dinner - keep carbs less than 40 or 50 grams.

IF you want - have Thepla --instead of chapati -- today's wheat are genetically modifies and have high carbs and no nutrients. You can make Bhakhari ( Gujarati) with some flaxmeal, almond meal or chana flour and some spinach or spices.

Make vegetable soup -- and add ghee or VCO -

Eat salad -with panner , tofu etc --

make Methipack or Magash ( Besan Laddu) -

Hope this will help --

JUST BE DETERMINED AND TAKE CONTROL OF LIFE

take care

• Being able to quit or not is just a state of mind. Once one starts bothering about diabetes complications, it's easy to quit.

• You are absolutely right - Mr Anuji --

I said same to some one in different post

• I have type 2 diabetes and have completed 27 years after diagnosis. I take one cup of rice at noon and two chapatis with vegetable curry or fish curry at night. I have no appreciable diabetic complications so far.

I take insulin (Human Mixtard) 10 units in the morning and 8 units at night.

Consult a dietitian.

• You like high carb -60% - diet. You are lucky and glad that you have no problems.

each person is different and have different metabolism.

Each person has to monitor sugars more frequently and determine what works best for him / her.

• 27 years good. Are you taking medications

• Yes metformin 500 mg

• Instead taking metformin you can try berberine. It is naturel ans safe for kidny

• Taking INSULIN is worst than just taking medicine -

Yes - you dont have any complications -yet -which is good.

But -- If you cut your carbs--- you may reduce dosage of insulin or get read of

completely and just take medicine -- LCHF is best ---

I have seen you recommend 60% carbs -- ???

Again- I have said many times -- each individual case - body chemistry and metabolism or insulin resistance is different.

• It's possible.

I have been avoiding wheat like plague.

Rice is also not more than 3 TBSP scoop of cooked rice a day.

Non diabetic nos, zero medication and into 7th year as type 2. Will be completing 7 years in Feb 2018. Managing diabetes is all about managing carbs intake. Protein also cannot go overboard as protein also spikes, spike late and thus pushes up A1C.

• Anupji-- check my post yesterday about My Readings -2 --

Some thing unusual happening - only for 02:00 pm - 2 hours after light lunch

readings --please comment - suggestions.

3 TBSP cooked rice--is Mind of State --why even eat that much ... Lol

I have not eaten rice since 1984. 33 years -NOT at all - except - some tiems at party or invited by friends and relatives for dinner. Mostly I skip that also- there is enough other good food to eat.

• Dear Anupjj, How to count Carbs in our South Indian Vegetarian diets like Idly,Dosa, Rice etc? I at a loss.

Now I completely stopped rice items Strictly following Vegitable Salads, Green Tea and just eat side dishes like koottu, Poriyal all Vegetarian as Iam unable to count Carbs at all.

• I have posted here my diet as LCHF 2 days back... you may like to see... I eat very moderate Chapati or rice..diabetic for over 25 years, with very little medicine, still with a1c 5.6,and no other complications... see forum.dlife.in for various LCHF menus with very few carbs..no need to avoid Chapati or rice but restrict carbs to 100gm/day...

• Dear bro,

First of all, don't be panic about Diabetes Mellitus. It is not a disease but a deformity (weakness in digestion due to various reasons, especially age related and insulin not so active to convert glucose into glycogen for body consumption).

Either you eat Wheat as roti with dhal, or Rice as cooked food with curry, sambar and chutneys, your intake of food should give your body 1800 calories to 2700 calories to burn as per the need of your active work.

Hence, your needed calories should be supplemented by your food approximately like this. Morning 500 + Midday meal 700 + Dinner 400 and in between snacks+coffee or Tea or salad in the morning (after 3 hrs of breakfast) 300 + evening 300 (after 3 hours of Meal).

You can consume those either made by wheat or rice or both as per your fond of eating. And also do a morning walk/jogging for 40 mins after drinking a large glass of warm water , add some warming aerobatic exercises for your bones and joints to move freely for 20 mins.

Have your glucose level at Morning (before breakfast) empty stomach 80-90; 2 hours after break fast 100-120, HbA1C < 5 for your good health and to live without complications.

Live healthy and enjoy life.

• Indian1960 - if you like to eat chappati-- try to use stone ground - organic wheat flour.

Not white flour- which is genetically modified , and bleached. You can buy - find home grown

organic wheat in health food stores or small villages - and have it stone ground at local mill- or buy a machine at home- do your own. Also eat more fat and non starchy vegetables.

Please keep us posted with your A1C in 3 months.

• My hba1c was 14 in feb 2017 .. in june 2017 it was 5.37 .. will do next in September

• W..O..W... that's great - congratulations -- just be conscious and keep up

what ever you are doing --and monitor at home frequently-- specilaly after

meals -

• You can eat rotis made with Millets like Bajra and Jowar.

You can also eat rice made with millets.

• But sir bajra still have good % of carbohydrate

• Any diabetic may take Long Wheat dishes stomach-full thrice daily. Only caution is to keep an eye on hypoglycaemia. Give it a try.

You may also like...