Get up, stand up, for your health: A little exercise offsets a lot of sitting

Get up, stand up, for your health: A little exercise offsets a lot of sitting

We know that in case of diabetes control exercise plays an important role. Harward Medical School in its Harvard Health Blog POSTED AUGUST 18, 2016, by Monique Tello, MD, MPH, Contributor

“Get up, stand up, for your health: A little exercise offsets a lot of sitting “

A solid body of scientific evidence strongly suggests that the more time a person spends sitting, the higher their risk of death from any cause. Multiple large studies and high-quality data analyses show that regardless of age or health issues, the hours we spend in our office chairs, cars, or on the sofa watching television can literally kill us.

But if our jobs require us to be at a desk or behind the wheel for long shifts, what can we do? Should we all quit and seek an occupation that will allow us to be on our feet instead? …

Not so, suggests a very well-conducted study published in July in The Lancet. These authors took a fresh look at a massive load of data from 16 large studies and including over a million subjects. They aggregated the information, re-ran the analyses, and corrected for individual and population variations. What they found was that 60 to 75 minutes of moderate physical activity like walking to work, walking the dog, riding a stationary bike, line dancing, golf or softball, doubles tennis, or coaching sports eliminates the risk of death related to sitting, even from sitting for more than eight hours per day.

Can’t get in an hour or more of these types of activities per day? Just 25 minutes of moderate activity is somewhat protective, even for people who sit for eight or more hours per day. The way physical activity energy expenditure was calculated, vigorous activities count more, so less time of the most strenuous exercise is needed to be protective.

For more detaled write up read in

37 Replies

• Informative .Thanks.

• Dear ragivrao,

This may not be relevant here but slow moving animals live longer. Tortoise 200 years. Fast moving like ... Dogs 15. Years.

Good luck

• yes are right ...crux is consume less calories and move slowely ...rather than consume more calories and exercise more ...more eating more free radical...then more exercising more free radicals faster aging must have observed ...thinner persons...they seem to age slowly

• It all boils down to heart rate, by and large, isn't it?

• yes ...I guess ...I read somewhere that yogis can slow down their heart rates and thus they can slow down all activities in their bodies and they slow down on aging ...thus live longer

• Yup.

Breath 3 to 4 times a minute even involuntary (sleep) is the aim.

• more control on breathe ....more control on mind more control on body ...breathe is the easiest and free resourese to cure ...if one can tame that :) ...just pay attention your heart rate/breathe will find most of the time ...heart rate is more than normal and breathe rate is more ...and most of the times ...every breathe is incomplete/shallow sort of... not the deep one ....thats why stressed people get diseased easily ...more heart rate ...breathing more ...

• BTW Sir ji "3 to 4 times a minute " dont you think it is too much for normal people like us :)

• Involuntarily reach 1:4:2 for inhalation, holding of breath and exhalation. This is where long drawn yogic training (pranayam) can help.

Hyper ventilating = sick body.

• I tried once for taking the breathe slowely ...max I reach till 23 seconds ...

from where you got this ratio ...there is something not correct in this

Dont need to hold breathe for this long in normal beathing .

• We can build reserve capacity with aerobic exercise, to make breathing easier under normal conditions. That won't necessarily impact dramatically on the metabolism though. Dr Ron Rosedale says the amount of fat we burn compared to carbohydrate has the greatest effect on having a long and healthy life.

• Like bear??? karch

• but even after using hibernation ...they live upto 40years ...

• so yogi must be adopting some different technique???

• calorie restriction??

• high fats???? :O

Yogis mostly use high carb diet....

• vegeterians ??

• yeah vegetarians.... :(

• we cant be forget about this point :)...lets find more :)

• LOL.....

• You also non veg |? :O

• you also non veg?? :O

• egg...I guess yogis didnt eat egg ignore this point ...being diabetic we can take relaxation for this point :D

• ब्रह्मांड ....yogis think about celestial egg......

Not chicken egg :P

• और ब्रह्माण्ड क्या है???? एक शून्य.... जो शून्य से निकलता है... और शून्य में हि समाप्त होता है... जो खुद्द भी शून्य है...

ॐ पूर्णमदः पूर्णमिदं पूर्णात् पूर्णमुदच्यते ।

पूर्णस्य पूर्णमादाय पूर्णमेवावशिष्यते ।।

वह परब्रह्म शून्य है ..... शून्य से शून्य की ही उत्पत्ति होती है। तथा प्रलयकाल मे शून्य अपने मे लीन करके शून्य ही बचा रहता है।

:O :O

• ok...0+0=0(शून्य से शून्य की ही उत्पत्ति होती है), x*0=0(प्रलयकाल मे शून्य अपने मे लीन करके शून्य ही बचा रहता है), and x/0=infinity(और ब्रह्माण्ड क्या है???? एक शून्य.... जो शून्य से निकलता है... और शून्य में हि समाप्त होता है) , 0/0 = undefined(वह परब्रह्म शून्य) terms of mathematics :D...this is all you wanted to say I guess...

P.S.:It doesnot mean is anyything serious nor it is to offend any idea or anyone...just a flow of thoughts ...kindly take it lightly :)

• lol.....are baba nahi.... I was also joking....

infact the meaning of said shloka is bit different....

The translation which I gave is bit twisted....

That is my habit....

in school one day teacher asked me to translate...

बहूनि मे व्यतीतानि जन्मानि तव चार्जुन from Bhagwatgeeta....

And I said krishna says....I have seen many MAY (Month)...and you are borne just on 4th june (चार्जुन = char/4 + arjun/June month) LOL master ne bahut mara :(

• so yogis are also eggetarians?? ...only they opt for Bramhanda....

• by the way egg looks like Shunya.... so what you eat is also shunya...(anup will say yes shunya carbs :P) so after eating eggs /eating shunya you will get shunya....

• come on this logic is not going to lets come to the topic

• Guess they must be using some yoga technique....

• snails live upto 15 yrs :o

• Thank you

• Though I mentioned that slow animals live longer, I do not mean it as a contradiction to Mr ragivrao ji's article.

On the whole

My personal belief is

The right amount and texture of food,

the right amount of activities,

the right amount of medicine if sick. The triple balance!!

I also believe,

TO be good and short living has to be

Preferred to be

long living if one happens to be bad.

Good luck.

• Accepted and sure it works with my own experience, pl see if we could add low tension and stress free state of mind and work on quality sleep, enforce bit of discipline in medicine intake and timely

• Viswesariah

Low tension and stress free?How to achieve?what your technique?

You may also like...