Chronic Cough

Dear ‘Forum Members’

Recently, I am facing health challenges other than NIDDM. During Nov’2015 I was facing severe cough and it was not being controlled even after consultation with MOs. Then, I consulted a renowned ‘Pulmonologist’ at Apollo Gleneagles Hospital, Kolkata. After performing all kind of pathological test, the doctor prescribed me Sompraz-40 (antacid) and Inhaler Budecord-200. After taking Sompraz-40 for 4-5 days the 80% problem solved, however, cough in the morning is still uncontrolled. The doctor has advised me to continue inhaler for another 3 months, but, I feel it is not working.

In view of above, all forum members are cordially requested to please through some light on treatment if anybody has knowledge/experience regarding the case.

Thanks in advance.

22 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Change your home for some time :D or go out frequently ...I have faced these kind of problem and found that indoor allergies are culprit for irritating your lungs most of times ...I really find out hard in my house in every corner ...what can cause my lungs to irritate ...I clean my house throughly...

how do I test that something in home is causing the symptoms of allergy in me ?...Ans : I start go out frequenly in fresh air out of house and find out that it is better if I m outside

Second option .. if acid in your stomach somehow enter in throat and throats reacts to it by coughing ...thats why doctor prescribed antacid ...so something wrong with digestive system ...that may be root cause ...I hope it helps you

• Thanks a lot to all of you for sharing your experience and giving suggestions, but, actually problem is something else which I have forgot to mention. The morning cough which I have mentioned in my post is happening at a particular time period everyday, typically from 08-20 AM to 08-50 AM when I used to perform driving to reach my office covering a distance of 11 km (sometime running the car AC, sometime without AC) and surprisingly there will be absolutely no cough till 08-20 AM in the morning.

Any comments/suggestion please

• Hopefully you're not smoking. Drive with your AC on and ensure the ventilation is set to recirculation and not fresh air, still doesn't help wear an N99 pollution mask from 3M

• Test1 : Go in carpool for sometime with people changing cars... not in your car : to make sure that your ac filter doesn't need to be changed or there is something in car making your lung irritated like diesel fumes or car carpets are dusty or needs to be chnaged etc

Test2 : Change the route for sometime ...to make sure that the route has so much pollution which is irritating the lungs and change the time for time being if possible as 8:30:9:30 is peak rush on the roads, when there are most of the cars on the road ...and probability of getting highest pollution during this is high

Test3 : Change the breakfast for sometime to rule out food allergy

Suggestion : Stop wheat intake for sometime or any gluten...gluten allergy goes undiagnosed in our country ...wheat cause leaky gut which cause food particles to go in blood , so immune system attack the foreign particles thinking its a attack on body

• Hello

I had the same problem about 2 years back. The inhaler seretide was actually drying out my throat and causing me to cough incessantly so much so that I dare hold a conversation with anyone without a glass of warm water near me. I did the following:-

1. Twice a week I did nasal cleansing to ensure nose was not blocked before going to bed

2. In the morning I took amla powder with honey before breakfast

3. Everyday I took slow release 1000mg Vitamin C. I took Blackmore's brand

4. With evening meal I took garlic capsules

5. Plus I did steam inhalation with menthol crystals and finally

6. During the day I sipped warm water with one teaspoon honey

That worked. I am completely off my inhaler and not on any medication whatsoever. Its been 2 years now. Whenever I feel a cough or cold coming on the above is my remedy. Even the Doctor was shocked how fast I healed. Sometimes being on medication for too long is also a set back and other problems crop up.

Goodluck.

Harmit

I am fm Malaysia

• Thanks a lot to all of you for sharing your experience and giving suggestions, but, actually problem is something else which I have forgot to mention. The morning cough which I have mentioned in my post is happening at a particular time period everyday, typically from 08-20 AM to 08-50 AM when I used to perform driving to reach my office covering a distance of 11 km (sometime running the car AC, sometime without AC) and surprisingly there will be absolutely no cough till 08-20 AM in the morning.

• I did have dry cough which persisted for some time. I got immediate relief with simple anti allergic drug called citrazine.

• Homeopathic preparation 'Drosera' in 1m potency , 3 packets for 3 months ,one packet once month.

• Thanks a lot for your suggestion.

• Patliputra

please don't drive after taking cetrizine. It's highly sedating drug.

• Try Ayurvedic Shitopaladi with honey in morning and evenings for a few days.Controls cough very well

• It is useful.

• Are you taking any other medications?

• Yes, I am taking medicines. Amaryl-3mg + Jalra-50 in the morning before breakfast & Sugamet MC 1000 mg after dinner.

• No wonder. I had the same problem . I was on Ace blocker peridopril later. changed to Ramipril . All ends with prii has this problem .

Change to Candersartan or Lowsartan it will go away.

Assuming acid reflux is not the cause.

I tried for Acid, then hay fewer allergy later found the medication was giving problem.

ARB - 11 drugs talk to your doctor

RajanViji

• Not sure where you live, but your issues are indicative of digestion issues (antacid) and perhaps some allergy. I had something similar and it felt like it choked the life out of me. The one big thing that caused it was, very high pollution levels in Delhi last winter. Went through a course of antibiotics, which addressed about 70% of it but the cough persisted.

3 things that helped me fix it:-

1. Vitamin C and Zinc (1000mg and 10mg zinc)

2. Try Mulethi powder and Divya Swashri powder. Take a tablespoon each, add 800 ml water and boil on slow heat till water level is down to 200ml. Strain and drink this morning and evening. Ayurvedic remedy, you can get both at a Patanjali store. Helps clear congestion, and Mulethi also has an added benefit of helping digestion.

3. STOP MILK in all forms

SOS relief, I would keep a Sualin (Hamdard) in my mouth and sleep whenever my cough was keeping the household up.

Harmit K below has a good post and several things in common.

A request to you and all readers, if you try a remedy from the posts, would be great for you to post feedback if you tried and it helped you.

Feel better! Get well soon.

• Thank you sir. I shall try.

You may also like...