Diabetes and Infections

Diabetes and Infections

Published study by scientists of the Indian Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism explains that the greater frequency of infections in people with diabetes is caused by numerous factors such as:

•high blood sugar levels weaken the immune system

•micro- and macro-angiopathies (blood vessel disease)

•neuropathy which masks pain signals of an injury

•decrease in antibacterial activity of urine

•gastrointestinal and urinary function impairment

•frequent medical interventions due to other health issues

For people with diabetes, high blood sugars increase the risk of infections starting and spreading more quickly. High blood sugars also slow down the healing process and make infections more resistant to treatment.

The first line of defense when it comes to managing the risk for infections is to manage your blood sugar levels as close to your target range as possible because high blood sugar can slow or limit your body’s ability to fight off infection. Some of the more likely places for infections in people with diabetes include the bladder, vagina, feet, kidneys, skin and gums.

There is a very detailed information on the issue in the link given below for further understanding the issues. Those interested can see this in the link

5 Replies

• while in infection bs levels go high up is something which many people do not keep in mind.this can happen in low level chronic infections as well.

"People who do not have diabetes can make enough extra insulin to keep their blood sugar in a normal range during times of stress and illness. People with diabetes may need to take extra diabetes medication to keep their blood sugar near normal during times of illness or stress. If you haven't been given special instructions on how to manage your diabetes medications during illness, please contact your healthcare provider for advice."

• Very good information thanks

• Indiacratus

in labs glucose is used to grow cultures of bacteria. The test known as culture and sensitivity test. Although there are many media used for different bacteria glucose is prefferd food of bacterias.

Even fungi infection is more in D.

• yes,.

i had used d glucose when i did tissue culture for mushroom cells [mushroom is fungus only ]. the agar agar needed , the lecturer asked me to steal from the lab!

the cell separation from the stem is a difficult job done in what they call a

laminar flow chamber with Bunsen burner nearby..

at home i had no flow chamber.or burner... so i had developed a very elaborate method.

it worked well. i got perfect culture--

but the professor at the agricultural university warned me .

do not indulge in such economizing tricks

because in large scale, the mother spawn damage will cost you a lot.

all the students in the class turning around ,looked at me smiling.:

a how now ?expression.

good luck.

• Ragiv...

Absolutely true. Also the infectionf flare up and spread into the blood causing septicemia. Also otherwise weak organisms become more virulent in the presence of D. Our guts have many bacterial species residing there without causing any harm but in D patients incidence of such organisms causing trouble increases. We have more GI infection problem.

You may also like...