Methylmercury in food,

Methylmercury in food, such as fish, is a particular health hazard because it is easily taken up into the body through the stomach and intestines. It is a poison for the nervous system. Exposure during pregnancy is of most concern, because it may harm the development of the unborn baby's brain.

•Mercury is a naturally occurring element that is found in air, water and soil.

•Exposure to mercury – even small amounts – may cause serious health problems, and is a threat to the development of the child in utero and early in life.

•Mercury may have toxic effects on the nervous, digestive and immune systems, and on lungs, kidneys, skin and eyes.

•Mercury is considered by WHO as one of the top ten chemicals or groups of chemicals of major public health concern.

•People are mainly exposed to methylmercury, an organic compound, when they eat fish and shellfish that contain the compound.

5 Replies

  • How about Thimerosal in Vaccines?

    Defense Minister of India (again an IITian) -- Mr Manohar Pariker -- says Fish is good for brain. Goans love fish. Not sure how many die of mercury poisoning there because of eating fish.

  • Fda says Mercury in fish is not in high levels that can be a health hazard.

  • Any way fish eaters please try for deep sea fish because costal and fresh water fish contains more pollutants

  • Avoid eating these 11 types of fish to reduce your exposure to mercury

    Learn more:

  • Dear raoji,

    The term deep sea fish can mislead.

    SO FAR as pollutants areConcerned

    Away from coast is good. But deep sea is bad for Mercury.

    So in conclusion :

    Sea surface fish, but far away from coast is best.

    Sun light can disintegrate methyl Mercury.

    Good luck

You may also like...