Dealing with Diabetes Burnout

Dealing with Diabetes Burnout

It doesn’t matter how perfectly you eat. How often you exercise. How many years its been since you ever forgot to take your medication. How many times a day you check your blood sugar and how precisely you calculate your insulin doses.

It doesn’t matter if you’re vegan, gluten-free, paleo, or a fast-food junkie.

It doesn’t matter if you’re practically perfectbecause that near-perfection is simply the result of a ton of handwork, energy and effort that you’re giving to your diabetes. And that is exhausting.

But there’s a world for all of this, it’s called: burnout.

Diabetes Burnout to be more exact. But feel burnout doesn’t have to mean you’ve stopped taking care of yourself. It doesn’t mean you’re eating all the foods you shouldn’t, skipping your medications or taking barely enough insulin to get by.

Instead, diabetes burnout can simply mean you’re tired. You’re exhausted. Maybe you’re even angry and on the verge of tears.

Diabetes burnout can mean you’re drained of motivation, you’re just going through the motions, just doing what you can to keep your head above water.

Diabetes burnout can be anything.

Rea the article in the link:

5 Replies

• I really don't see how a book that tells you vaguely that you are feeling like hell helps anybody. 

It adds nothing to the debate about how to manage T1 or T2 when someone complaining about feeling awful is offered mere sympathy. It's like an obese person complaining about 'fat shaming' and thinking the solution to be acceptance by society. 

The case for T1 is an entirely different situation to those with T2 and insulin medication is utterly essential. T2 is brought on mainly by lifestyle, but in either case control of blood sugar is essential and the message is 'do something'. 

"There there," might make you feel better when someone empathises, but will do nothing to help you condition if you are not proactive.

• Dealing with Diabetes Burnout isn’t simple. There isn’t one solution for anyone because the experience isn’t the same for everyone. There isn’t one answer. There isn’t one length of time that it should last. There isn’t one anything because we each live with diabetes in our own way and we each need different types of support, we have different emotions, and we each cope with any version of this maintenance disease our own way.

• See my post on diabetes burnout. I was the first ever to raise this issue on this forum.

• pataliputra

i could not track your post.can you give some lead?

• Yes.

You may also like...