the oil combination for Indians as recommended by the indian NATIONAL INSTITUTE of nutrition hyderabad[icmr]

Dietary Guidelines for Indians - National Institute of Nutrition

from their book 2011 edition named dietary guide lines for indians .

India's premier nutrition research institute working under the aegis of Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India

."..................................In view of the above, an ideal quality fat for good health is the one which

maintains a balance, so as to give a ratio of polyunsaturated/ saturated (PUFA/

SFA) of 0.8-1.0, and linoleic/ a-linolenic (n-6/ n-3) of 5-10 in the total diet. For

ensuring this appropriate balance of fatty acids in cereal-based diets, it is necessary

to increase the a-linolenic (n-3) acid intake and reduce the quantity of linoleic (n-6)

acid obtained from the cooking oil. Hence, the choice of cooking oil should be as

Use of more than one source of fat/oil has the added advantage of providing a

variety of minor components in the diet. An additional way of increasing alpha-

linolenic (n-3) acid intake is to ensure regular consumption of oils and foods rich in

Choice of cooking oils

1]Groundnut or Sesame or Rice bran+ Mustard

2]Groundnut or Sesame or Rice bran+ Canola

3]Groundnut or Sesame or Rice bran+ Soyabean

4]Palmolein + Soyabean

5]Safflower or Sunflower + Palmolein + Mustard

my personal note.

the numbering 1,2,3,4,5 is given by me.

because of the high content of saturated fats

they have not advised coconut oil ,

but has cautioned use in restricted quantities in this book further down elsewhere..

the term vco does not appear in any standard sources except in Wikipedia where a cursory mention only is made.

coconut oil extracted from coco nut cake by non heating methods like centrifuging

may reduce the sfa content but , but how much?

that may be why the icmr institute[nin] avoids it.

vco does not look a decent term either ,however.

oil extracted by non heating methods may be a better term.[ENH coconut oil]

because heating slightly alters the basic fatty acid chains.

good luck

7 Replies

I wouldn't touch GMO Canola even with a 10 feet barge pole, irrespective of which association is promoting it. Soy oil NO WAY.

PUFA loaded industrial vegetable oils, HIGH TG and higher insulin level in blood is perfect recipe for disaster.

High TG and Higher Insulin in blood is from High Carbs :)

For us, VCO works best as it doesn't go through lymphatic system being largely MCT, and MCT isn't processed the same way as LCT. Shunted through portal vein and converted to energy as quickly as carbs but without spiking blood sugar. Next best oil is palm kernel oil, again loaded with MCT but not as much as VCO.

All oils marketed as Heart Friendly is MOST Heart UNFRIENDLY. Institutions are still blindly supporting that FUDGED study from Ancel Keys which has failed to stand ground and provide any proof that SFA causes CVD. It doesn't.

Even Sydney Diet Heart study which lauded PUFA back then was found to be FUDGED (to favor the industrial vegetable oil industry???) and this has been in media news which revealed that the "men of science" back then DUMPED part of the data in a garage as with that data included it showed that SFA is better than PUFA. So as Dr Marcia Angell said:

" It is simply no longer possible to believe much of the clinical research that is published, or to rely on the judgement of trusted physicians or authoritative medical guidelines. I take no pleasure in this conclusion, which I reached slowly and reluctantly over my two decades as an editor of The New England Journal of Medicine. "

That's why alternate thought prevails on all "democratic" forums which run on "peer-to-peer" support. Keyword here is "Peer".

• Anupji

how about edible coconut oil available in kerala stores. Can we take that instead of vco?

• We prefer the one's that have not undergone processing to extract the last drop of oil using poisonous chemicals. Yes they are cheap, but we look at costs in totality. You can opt for RUBCO which is cheapest of all VCO.

• I do not favour canola and soya oil . There is great debate whether canola oil is genetically modified. Soya oil, it is said that it may cause infertility .

Please note I am not going into details of each oil. Why didn't they recommend olive oil ?

• dear patliputra,

thanks for the response.

i am not very conversant on this subject.

one thing.,

the molecular research people have reached extra high heights

in these gene alterations.

and evaluations of the prose and cons of an altered food plant.

they can now remove a rung from the DNA and replace it with another in the double helix.just as in the atomic level they can remove an atom from a solid and replace with another for a given set of characteristics

prose and cons:

suppose a natural and unaltered plant is constantly attacked by insects.

then naturally all farmers will apply insecticide.

the remnant insecticide or

the gene material which is more toxic?

cost:the green revolution, the white revolution,

we have now enough food even for the poorest of poor.

olive oil is extremely expensive.and NIN considers Indian scenario, i think

it requires lot of studies to make an opinion ,

about gmo you are probably the most competent to give a concern,

you may kindly go through

and another thing by the side:

the politicians are on which side?

good luck

• You are right. It is in Indian context. That is why olive oil was not mentioned as olive is not native to India.

• But please tell us about olive oil. I'm using extravirgin olive oil for dressing purpose.

You may also like...