Diabetics who skip breakfast provoke hazardous blood sugar spikes

Diabetics who skip breakfast provoke hazardous blood sugar spikes

More and more Americans on-the-go are skipping the "most important meal of the day," not eating until lunch. This tendency to miss breakfast has already been linked to the growing epidemic of obesity and cardiovascular problems in the US—and it may put the health of diabetics at risk as well. Very little was known regarding the effect of skipping breakfast on the health of diabetics—until now. A new Tel Aviv University study reveals the substantial impact of skipping breakfast on type-2 diabetics. "Fasting" until noon triggers major blood sugar spikes (postprandial hyperglycemia) and impairs the insulin responses of type-2 diabetics throughout the rest of the day, researchers say.The study was conducted by TAU's Prof. Daniela Jakubowicz and Prof. Julio Wainstein of the Wolfson Medical Center's Diabetes Unit, Prof. Oren Froy of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, and Prof. Bo Ahrén of Lund University in Sweden. It was recently published in Diabetes Care and presented at the American Diabetes Association meeting in Boston in June 2015.

The most important meal for diabetics?

"Despite the fact that many studies have previously demonstrated the benefits of a high-caloric breakfast for weight loss and to regulate the glucose metabolism, very little was known regarding the effect of skipping breakfast on glycemic spikes after meals throughout the entire day," said Prof. Jakubowicz. "It is quite remarkable that, for type-2 diabetic individuals, the omission of breakfast is associated with a significant increase in all-day blood sugar spikes and of HbA1C, which represents average blood glucose levels over the preceding three months."The clinical study was conducted on 22 type-2 diabetics who averaged 56.9 years old, with a mean Body Mass Index of 28.2 kg/m2. Over the course of two days, the participants consumed precisely the same number of calories and the same balanced meal—milk, tuna, bread, and a chocolate breakfast bar—for lunch and dinner. The only difference was that one day they ate breakfast and the second day they fasted until lunch.

"We theorized that the omission of breakfast would not be healthy, but it was surprising to see such a high degree of deterioration of glucose metabolism only because the participants did not eat breakfast," said Prof. Jakubowicz. The researchers found that participants experienced extraordinary glucose peaks of 268 mg/dl after lunch and 298 mg/dl after dinner on days they skipped breakfast, versus only 192 mg/dl, and 215 mg/dl after eating an identical lunch and dinner on days they ate breakfast.

"This means that reducing the amount of starch and sugars in lunch and dinner will have no effect on reducing elevated glucose levels if diabetic individuals also skip breakfast," said Prof. Jakubowicz.

According to the researchers, pancreatic beta cells which produce insulin lose their "memory" due to the prolonged period between one evening's dinner and the next day's lunch. In other words, they "forget" their vital role. Therefore it takes additional time after lunch for the beta cells to recover, causing small and delayed insulin responses and resulting in an exaggerated elevation of blood glucose levels throughout the day. Another factor is that fasting until lunch increases the fatty acids in our blood, which renders insulin ineffective in reducing blood glucose levels.

"In light of our study, we highly recommend that type-2 diabetics not skip breakfast, because it causes major damage to the beta cell function and leads to high sugar levels, even if they don't overeat at lunch and dinner," said Prof. Jakubowicz. The researchers are planning to conduct a similar study on type-1 diabetics, who require daily insulin treatment.

Journal reference: Diabetes Care Provided by: Tel Aviv University

Source: medicalxpress.com/news/2015...

Last edited by

5 Replies

• However, the real world diabetics who are on LCHF (and I know it for sure that it's a FACT) have exactly the opposite to report. Intermittent fasting improves blood sugar control. Many of us on LCJHF diet skip a meal and specially breakfast. I don't remember taking a breakfast since years.

Maybe this study is true for diabetics on a JUNK Diet called HIGH CARB LOW FAT.

So, in short, intermittent fasting HELPS much against this study which seems to be on a HIGH CARB LOW FAT DIET. Even diabetics on drugs are practicing intermittent fasting and reporting great results. No such spikes as reported in the article.

Oh BTW, if you watch one of the videos of Dr Bernstein (Type 1 for seven decades and on 30 grams carbs/day for around 4 decades now) he said he often misses lunch as he is too busy with work (even at 82 years). So, skipping a meal does help.

• The skipping breakfast lunchor dinner all are depend upon personnel attitude the persons daily activity what he follows the body has adjusted for it. Ifu skipp breakfast daily for 2 or 3 days continuously the body will adjust for that system After one week u cannot hungrey or starvation U may able to take lunch only Myself I am practise to skipp night meals but instead of meals I am consume only fruits ccumber and vegetable palya

some of the old persons now also skipp their night meals so long period . Even in city some of the persons consume directly lunch at 11AM - 1 PM upto 8/9 Pm In morning they may consume cofee or tea or milk only.

So skipping break fast lunch or dinner may not reason any spike of blood sugar or BP or any other diseases

The articles report is random and it may not suitable for all persons

• My reason for skipping breakfast is as follows:

(1) Overnight fasting leads to body switching to burning fat at some stage.

(2) So, my wake-up till lunch is only black coffee with VCO -- all FAT and that too MCT which is a great source of quick energy.

(3) Since body is not being fed with CARBS, it sustains the FAT Burning mode for energy till lunch. Ketones (from fat metabolism) are better fuel for brain also.

Yes, my thoughts are entirely based on LCHF diet and also experience of others whom I know who practice Intermittent fasting without even trying hard for it. Some skip lunch, some skip dinner. I skip breakfast. Even if I fast for 24 hrs, my levels don;t shoot up because my liver isn't storing "tank full" of glycogen from CARBS :)

Yes, body may need a few days for adapting to this lifestyle -- but it does so very quickly. When brain knows it isn't going to get the carbs that it needs for the "feel good factor", it stops demanding and then starts enjoying ketones :)

• Anup your answered is agreed and In your comment you stated that even fasting 24 hours liver is not storing tank ful of glycogen from carbs.

In my opinion liver stored glycogen may be utilised when the body not possible to get insulin from food or outer basis / It is when the person may goes up coma position or in short of insulin then only the liver mayn push the glycogen to convert glucose under emergency condition ?

please clarify following

1 Even in the body glucose is in higher side in the night then also liver dump the glycogen and push more insulin that may cause high FBS or in day time it may be higher PPBS or random ?

2 I seen in TV one political leader fasting for politicval issue the press and media were cover the blood test at glucometer it shows 245 at 2 Pm the leader start fasting at morning 9 Am from sheduled place. If he performs the fast on that day ( Yesterday dinner consuming the food I am not known )

3 Here he is under fast uoto2 Pmhis BS spikes upto 245 without food herewhether body utilised produced insulin orliver may push glycogen and how this level BS spikes?

if he takes carb more in night it may digest within 10 Am on nextday morning After fasting blood sugar must reduced

what is your opinion in this issue ?

• i am skiping my dinner and breakfast since last four year taking lunch once in a day only and avoiding medicine never found any trouble.

You may also like...