Tired? Depressed? Headaches? Muscle Cramps?

Tired? Depressed? Headaches? Muscle Cramps?

Dr. Carolyn Dean says “Magnesium is by far the most important nutrient in the body.”

Research Now Links Depletion of This Simple Mineral to Headaches, Depression, Muscle Cramps, Heart Disease, Diabetes, Alzheimer’s, Fatigue, and 52 Other Conditions — and Most Americans Don’t Get Nearly Enough.

Symptoms of magnesium deficiency include (but are not limited to)

•Migraines and tension headaches

•Muscle cramps or spasms, and back pain

80% of the American Population is Magnesium Deficient

Why?Dietary intake of magnesium has declined significantly since 1900. The National Academy of Sciences reports that most American women only obtain about 70% of the recommended daily allowance (RDA) of magnesium; men average only about 80%.

As a population, they have many reasons for becoming depleted in magnesium: diets high in processed foods, magnesium-depleted soil, certain medication interactions, and fluoridated water, which renders magnesium unavailable to the body.

Chronic stress elevates the stress hormone adrenaline, which further depletes magnesium.

Last but not least, aging is a risk factor for magnesium deficiency. And in a vicious circle, accelerated aging is also a byproduct of magnesium deficiency.

Magnesium performs hundreds of functions in the body; however, many researchers believe its most important function is cellular energy production.

The enzyme ATP, created in the mitochondria of each body cell, is the main source of cellular energy. ATP must be bound to a magnesium ion in order to be biologically active. Unfortunately, most people just don’t have enough magnesium ions available.Not all Magnesium Supplements are Created Equal Numerous studies show that taking a magnesium pill is not the best way to supplement with Magnesium.

Magnesium is not easily absorbed through the digestive tract. Diets, prescription medicines, particular medical ailments, and concentration of stomach acid, warp the bioavailability of magnesium in pill or powder form.

Also many popular magnesium supplements on the market are watered down with fillers and impurities and contain a very low concentration of actual magnesium to begin with!

This article is sourced from :, naturalhealthsherpa.com

20 Replies

• What are natural dietary sources of magnesium. The daily requirements for an adults ?

• i understand that natural sources are mostly from vegetables rich in this mineral.such as cabbage beet roots etc., .i am also searching for an authentic source for this.I also understand most of the food grains are rich in mineral s but am not sure if in magnisium. Probably you can throw more light.on this

• As you have rightly said ,green leafy vegetables ,French beans. Seeds and nuts, avacado,chickpeas,certain fishes,brown rise and some whole grains are rich dietary sources of Magnesium. Daily recommended requirement is 400 gms.

To add to the sources, banana is also rich source of magnesium.

• I presume daily intake of 400 gams refers to vegetables and other food items and not magnisium itself

• I am sorry ,I mistyped, it is 400 mgs and not gms. it is daily requirement of magnesium.

• Whatever we are deficient in, or have an excess of, ails us, by definition.

Eating real, whole-foods that supply nutrients in optimal amounts helps us to live long and healthier lives.

• Concerned,

Doesn't excess insulin in blood (IR) and/or high blood sugar drain Mg thru Urine?

• The short answer is I don't know anup, but logic dictates that the frequent urination of diabetes will flush vital nutrients with it.

• Ok.

(1) And, what about drugs for heart and plethora of antibiotics? Do they deplete Mg too?

(2) What's your opinion on Sea salt versus mine salt wrt Mg? Can't recall, but had read about some Japanese study where heart attacks doubled when they shifted from sea salt to mine salt between 1975 and 1985.

(3) Is it true that water soluble Mg gets assimilated more than Mg from food?

• Enlighten me :-)

• You know more than me. I am just asking and learning from like minded (those who talk Low Carb High Fat diet) friends, because mainstream will never look at these things since vitamins and supplements are non-patentable, so not much money there :)

• Many studies including Women's Health Study point to the fact that magnesium difficiency maybe responsible for insulin resistance.

Urinery excretion of magnesium is inter related with calcium and phosphorus levels.

• concerned.

yes.foods that supply nutrients in optimum quantites keeps us healthy and make us add some more years to our life.The real problem is how to estimate this optimum level and its source..

Human beings are part of the same nature which provides nutrition to other species mainly mammals. All the animals who hunt and eat other animals only hunt such animals who feed on vegetation .I have not come across any situation where a tiger eats a cheatah or lion eats tiger etc.,

Does it not show that many of the so called vitamins and minerals are basically derived from soil obsorbed by plant life to provide these in ready manner.to all .Probably animals surviving on vegetation are the basic source of nutrition to lion,cheatah tiger etc., and not vice versa.

You appear to be rational thinker and can add some insight into this natural phenomenon.

• There is always a danger with complexities that some people use it to drive their own agenda.

In general what you say is true, however we have to consider if there are exceptions to the rule, and we see that some predators do in fact eat other predators; sharks eat sharks, killer whales eat seals eat fish and so forth. Bears, wolves, and hyenas hunt and scavenge, sometimes other hunters.

The common denominator is probably appetite, in that all species tend to corner their own niche of the food chain, and won't go outside that unless they are starving.

So, what do we humans have a taste for? Sweet, sour, salty, bitter and umami. Of course being human we then distort this to come up with bitter tasting foods (which naturally means to avoid) for example that excite our taste buds, so we like them.

We've also farmed fruits that were genetically favoured for their sweetness, that skews the amount of available fructose which messes with our metabolism of course.

Then we process foods, so that for instance we end up with grains that spike our blood glucose and consequently insulin, that we wouldn't have looked twice at growing in the field; again, unless we were starving.

Then there are plants, particularly seeds such as legumes, that don't want to be eaten.

So, essentially, we should eat natural foods that satiate our appetite, not stimulate it. As with other species, our ancestors would have gained awareness of what is good to eat, and what to avoid, and with our intelligence we have become less adept at doing this, relying on what we are told by experts instead of the wisdom that had been gained by generations.

My favourite example is the Okinawa project, where they went to observe the longest-lived people (at that time) to find the secrets of their longevity, and told them that the fatty pork they prized was not good for them.

• As usual.a very informative and useful post from Mr.Rao.Today, I also learnt that magnesium is essential in about 300 chemical reactions in the body.My belief that eating a variety of foods in moderation and that there is no such thing as prohibited foods for diabetics is reinforced.Of course,one must be extremely careful with highly processed foods,concentrated foods like honey and all other items that only give useless calories.

• Ragivrao, some revelation for me,knowledge can be acquired only from like mineded yes man persons.

• In Biochemic remedy Magnesia Phos 6x potency(4 tablets 4 times aday,available in any homeopathic shop) is good source of magnesium and it is very effective for treatment of neuralgia and muscle cramp.I have used this medicine many times and got benefited in 15-20days.

• long ago i had hered this.

yes. about magnesium.

and someone told that

it is abundant in

is it right information.?that person takes yeast every morning with tea.

the thing we use for fermenting.

please do not eat live yeast.

• As advised by the Dietitian, I started taking daily 8 Badams (soaked over night), before my breakfast (since one month)

• I am having muscle cramp problem, can take Tab: Magnesia Phos 6x potency

You may also like...