Shift focus from calorie counting to nutritional value for heart health, say experts

We diabetics on LCHF don't bother about counting calorie but remain more focused on carb:protein:fat ratio in diet, cutting down carbs drastically and replacing with fat. And, we are right about it:

"It's time to stop counting the calories, and instead start promoting the nutritional value of foods if we are to rapidly cut illness and death from cardiovascular disease and curb the rising tide of obesity, say experts in an editorial published in the online journal Open Heart."

eurekalert.org/pub_releases...

7 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Anup Ji! What would happen if carbs are restricted but not substituted enough with fat? Your guidance required. Thanks!

• Example?

• For example, I have drastically cut down on carbs which is showing a positive result in terms of BS control. Being vegetarian, I consume more of raw foods like cucumber, tomato, sprouts, etc. For fat, besides curd, I only take around 10 each of almonds and walnuts twice a day (no butter, ghee, ....). Is that enough? If not, what could be the adverse effect of this (any symptoms I need to be aware of)?

• No.

If you drastically cut down carbs to 20% of your daily energy needs you have to replace them with Good FAT. So don't be afraid of good fat in csae you have reduced carbs --

healthunlocked.com/diabetes...

healthunlocked.com/diabetes...

Best source of FAT for Vegetarian (or anyone) is VCO, peanuts, almond, walnuts, avocado. Industrial vegetable oils loaded with PUFA are worse oils. Home made coconut milk is another good source of good fat.

It is the CARBS that kill and not good fats. There's no single study which can prove that SFA causes CVD/CHD.

If you just reduce carbs drastically and don't increase fat, you will keep losing weight continuously.

• You need to maintain your energy requirements by replacing carbs with limited protein and rest with fat. Otherwise you will lose weight and at a later stage it will affect your metabolism negatively.

• Thanks a lot, Anup Ji!

• You are welcome.