why insulin demand is more during and just before periods in a female?

Why does blood sugar rise before or during periods?

Before and during your period, changes in the level of the hormones oestrogen and progesterone can induce temporary resistance to insulin which can last for up to a few days and then drop off.

Some girls and women have consistent effects as to how their period affects blood sugar whereas other women may find that the effect on blood sugar varies from one month to another.

10 Replies

• On the same site quoted by you -- LCHF forum

Dr Unwin's study was based on LCHF followers on this forum. LOW CARB Means HIGH FAT. No one insults them for following LCHF diet.

• Indiacratus, only a handful of studies have examined the relationships of menstrual cycle and blood glucose control. But all studies have one finding in common , that is, menstrual effect on blood glucose is as varied as each indivisual .

• der patliputra

as you know already i am a person who do not much go around studies.

i go by the assesments of -all these studies- by the great diabetic institutions and their condensed recommendations.

what i know is mostly from the nhs article[and also the idf, diabetes uk, medline plus etc.]

you may check up.

i will tabulate the results

just prior to puberty and through out puberty in girls demand for

insulin rises to 30 to 50 percent. in some cases it can go as high as double or more.

2] in female adults it is said,

they require more insulin during the days prior and later through periods.

percentages not known to me.

here one thing,

in most females the insulin rise demand is consistent through out the months.

in some women ,the rising demand varies with this or that cycle.

as such

a right assessment to keep in mind is

most females have demand of insulin more than usual.

3] in pregnancy generally glucose[ bs ]levels are low except in gestational dm

i will quote from mayo clinic

Menstruation and menopause

"Changes in hormone levels the week before and during menstruation can result in SIGNIFICANT fluctuations in blood sugar levels.

And in the few years before and during menopause, hormone changes may result in unpredictable variations in blood sugar levels that complicate diabetes management."

you may check up.

you can now visualize the PMS which many men ignore..

happy married life requires this knowledge.

good luck

• All the official and authentic web sites ( which you quote ) go by the studies conducted by different researchers. I have confined my comment to menstrual period only. What I wrote is completely authentic based on articles on different places including the ones quoted by you.

• then how will you explain

"Changes in hormone levels the week before and during menstruation can result in SIGNIFICANT fluctuations in blood sugar levels.

• i added the other cases because they are all similar in so far as hormones are involved [the oestrogen and progesteron ]

except in puberty where growth hormone also interfers and a temporary insulin insensitivity is generated.

this last sentence is universally accepted.

see you tomorrow. hope everything ok with you.

i used to tell shooter george.

happy to quarrel with you.

so here

happy to differ with you

good night.

i have to go.

good luck

• from usa my daughter told me on phone once .

father ,

i am coming back to india.

i was worried .my heart beets began raising.

she said

here there is nobody to quarrel with.

my heart beets became normal

• more than beets -

that should have been rising ,

since raising is transitive.

poor in English grammar, poor indiacratus.

some people point out the mustard rolling away but do not notice the coconut missing- a saying in kerala-

good luck any way

• As I have already wrote, not much research has been done ,menses vis a vis blood sugar control, so it is difficult to explain . But here I will quote "menstruation and menopause present unique challenges to blood glucose control. Estrogen and progesterone can induce temporary resistance to insulin. Many women report having higher glucose levels a few days before beginning their period. Once menstruation begins, some women continue to have hyperglycaemia while others experience a sharp drop in glucose levels."

This quote ie from-

mayoclinic.org/disease- conditions/ diabetes/.../ blood- sugar- fluctuations/ bop-20124504

• agreed .but please read the mustard and coconut story above.

You may also like...