LCHF diet that we diabetics follow is:
(1) Total Energy from digestible carbohydrate = 20% max. We don't prefer to go to 10% range
(2) Total Energy from proteins = around 20% max - 15%-20% being ideal range.
(3) Total Energy from good fat = 60% minimum.
Computing energy balance:
4*C + 4*P +9*F = Total energy requirement -- Equation 1.
Recently when I posted about one 80 year old diabetic having benefited on LCHF and provided link to his posts, I got a response from a "LCHF Naysayer" that he just reduced grains and mentioned nothing about eating fat. Well, from equation 1 above it is understood. One has to increase FAT unless one can derive energy from just breathing Air.
15 Myths and Lies Spread Against LCHF Diet
(1) High Fat Diet is bad: This is a lie that has been spread since Ancel Keys days. For every 1 study against FAT on Low Carb, I can provide 10 studies which shows that it is NOT. Only FAT to be avoided is Trans Fat - Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil.
(2) LCHF means eat meat and eggs: This is again UNTRUE and something which emanates out of ignorance. Being a non vegetarian just widens the options. I run a forum on LCHF for diabetics and there are many VEGETARIANS Diabetics living by LCHF diet.
(3) LCHF is not good because mainstream doesn't recommend: Well, there's no money in Diet. There's $650 billion drug sales involved to diabetics so might as well push High Carb Low Fat diet to keep the sales going. If ADA/AMA/AHA started talking in favor of LCHF diet the Diabetes drug industry alone will collapse by a minimum of $300 billion per year within three month. So, why will they ever talk in favor of LCHF diet? In fact they will rig research to blame FAT.
(4) LCHF diabetics are missing Nutrients: Who said so? Where's the detail of what we are missing? We get a lot of nutrients from the good food that we eat as a result of cutting down CARBS drastically.
(5) 45-60% carbs are essential: WRONG. Where's the study to show that one needs such a high carb? In fact all the disease have only gone up due to such a faulty dietary advise.
(6) Saturated fat is bad: For every 1 study against Saturated fat, I can provide 10 studies to disprove the rigged research on Saturated fat. The experts have to blame saturated fat because once you take out saturated fat you will have to add CARBS and SUGAR and easily sell the idea of HIGH CARB LOW FAT diet which is the worst thing that can be told to a diabetic to follow.
(7) LCHF diabetics need lot of supplements: Well diabetics on Metformin need more Vitamin B12 supplement than those on LCHF diet.
(9) Coconut Oil is the worst oil because it is all Saturated fat: UNTRUE. This can only be said by those who do not understand the difference between MCT and LCT. For Diabetics who live by LCHF Diet, PUFA loaded vegetable oils like Sunflower, Safola, Canola are worst oils not just for diabetics but for everyone. Sydney Diet heart study also proves it.
(10) LCHF Diet is dangerous because of KETOSIS: This is the most common scare (based on incorrect understanding) against LCHF diet and this only comes from guys who cannot differentiate between DKA and Nutritional Ketosis. In DKA (a Type 1 phenomenon) one will also have a sky high blood sugar. So, no LCHF doesn't cause DKA. Nutritional Ketosis is a good state. If in confusion, refer to video by many experts on this subject, including the likes of Dr Bernstein, Dr Peter Attia, Dr Volek, Dr Stapleton et al.
I have been living on LCHF diet for more than 50 months now. Haven't ever experienced DKA. Why? Because LCHF doesn't cause DKA in Type 2. None of the Type 2 that I know have ever gone into DKA. But, remember DKA =/= NK.
(11) LCHF Diet is only for managing Obesity: WRONG. That's what ADA says as a cover up for not letting mainstream adopt this diet for diabetes management. LCHF diet controls blood sugar first. All other advantages like LIPIDS correction, Hypertension correction, weight balancing are all collateral advantages and not the primary advantage.
(12) High fat diet is bad for brain because brain will fog out in absence of glucose: WRONG. Brain and major cells of body can switch to Ketones for fuel. Ketones are generated on fat metabolism. Body just needs 30 grams glucose (carbs) which is irreplaceable by FAT. Even of you eat ZERO CARBS, body will make the needed glucose out of proteins. Dementia, depression and all neurological complications of diabetes is all because of High CARB LOW FAT Diet, where brain cannot use glucose effectively. Dr Bernstein, even as an engineer, reversed depression in wort case candidates and he has published a paper on those trials after he became a doctor. He was an engineer before he joined medical school at the age of 45.
(13) LCHF means Muscle loss: Again a LIE, because we are eating 15-20% proteins. Muscle loss will only happen if one goes extremely low on both carbs and proteins. Extended fasting results in half to one ounce muscle loss daily. We on LCHF diet aren't in extended state of fasting.
(14) HIGH FAT is bad for Cholesterol: WRONG. Almost every diabetic who switches to LCHF reports LIPIDS improvement. It's the CARBS (and elevated insulin as a result of high carbs) that cause all the problems with cholesterol, inflammation, arteries etc. Not the FAT. Many diabetics who went on LCHF diet have dropped STATIN DRUGS.
(15) LCHF Diet is only good for younger generation diabetics who have 5 or 6 years of diabetic history: I have already posted proof against it. So not detailing again.
If anyone wishes to debate against the above, please come with data on studies with the LCHF diet that we follow. Mere use of word LCHF will be irrelevant because most of hose are based on what ADA considers as LOW CARB and High Fat. We follow LCHF (defined right in the beginning) and read our medical reports and haven't found any of the above MYTHS and LIES being spread against LCHF as being any bit true.
Yes, FAT is bad for Hyper-responders, but then that percentage is very small. It's tough luck for them.
Some self proclaimed experts who know nothing about what we do, just keep copy pasting keto diet studies. They are completely off track from above when they do so. Without knowing anything they just mix-up and then try and sound like experts.
Talk to a diabetic who lives this lifestyle.