Is Carbohydrate a red rag to a bull?

Mayo Clinic is a leading Hospital in USA ,ranked as best hospital which earned “best Hospital US News Honour roll 2014-15” has this to say on “ Carbohydrates: How carbs fit into a healthy diet.

“Carbohydrates aren't bad, but some may be healthier than others. See why carbs are important for your health and which ones to choose. ”The article written By Mayo Clinic Staff is reproduced for information

“Carbohydrates often get a bad rap, especially when it comes to weight gain. But carbohydrates aren't all bad. Because of their numerous health benefits, carbohydrates have a rightful place in your diet. In fact, your body needs carbohydrates to function well. But some carbohydrates may be better for you than are others. Understand more about carbohydrates and how to choose healthy carbohydrates.

Understanding carbohydrates

Carbohydrates are a type of macronutrient found in many foods and beverages. Most carbohydrates are naturally occurring in plant-based foods, such as grains. Food manufacturers also add carbohydrates to processed foods in the form of starch or added sugar.

Common sources of naturally occurring carbohydrates include:

Types of carbohydrates

There are three main types of carbohydrates:

Sugar. Sugar is the simplest form of carbohydrates. Sugar occurs naturally in some foods, including fruits, vegetables, milk and milk products. Sugars include fruit sugar (fructose), table sugar (sucrose) and milk sugar (lactose).

Starch. Starch is a complex carbohydrate, meaning it is made of many sugar units bonded together. Starch occurs naturally in vegetables, grains, and cooked dry beans and peas.

Fiber. Fiber also is a complex carbohydrate. Fiber occurs naturally in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and cooked dry beans and peas.

More carbohydrate terms: Net carbs and glycemic index

Terms such as "low carb" or "net carbs" often appear on product labels, but the Food and Drug Administration doesn't regulate these terms, so there's no standard meaning. Typically net carbs is used to mean the amount of carbohydrates in a product excluding fiber or excluding both fiber and sugar alcohols.

You probably have also heard talk about the glycemic index. The glycemic index classifies carbohydrate-containing foods according to their potential to raise your blood sugar level.

Weight-loss diets based on the glycemic index typically recommend limiting foods that are higher on the glycemic index. Foods with a relatively high glycemic index ranking include potatoes and corn, and less healthy options such as snack foods and desserts that contain refined flours. Many healthy foods, such as whole grains, legumes, vegetables, fruits and low-fat dairy products, are naturally lower on the glycemic index.”

Duyff RL. American Dietetic Association Complete Food and Nutrition Guide. 4th ed. Hoboken, N.J.: John Wiley & Sons; 2012:55.

Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Accessed Dec. 11, 2013.

Carbohydrates. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Accessed Dec. 11, 2013.

The Encyclopedia of Foods: A Guide to Healthy Nutrition. San Diego, Calif.: Academic Press; 2002.

Zeratsky KA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 2, 2014.

Nelson JK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 11, 2013.

19 Replies

• dear raoji,

i have never found another website better than mayo clinic with respect to

simple presentation

covering all aspects

uptodate. a beautiful architecture=

the knowledge rolls out in an unmatched spiral.

may be the american national institutes or the medline plus encyclopedia are contestants for this remark.

• Agreed fully

• sharmaji,

it is a crime ,anti national activity to prevent INDIAN citizens to learn from the right source and

propagate irrelevent knowledge as for instance,

when alexander the great conqured india diabetes rate increased!can you prove or disprove?

good luck

• india cratus

I had also quoted one more disdain "The ultimate disdain for data was that of Aristotle, he believed till the end of his life that women have fewer teeth than men.

Aristotle existed in 3rd century B.C when arithmetic was not known. Any thing more than one was "many many " Although he had two wives It was not possible for him to compare "many many " teeth his wives had with his "many many "teeth..

Being a philosopher he probably thought he is more intelligent than his wives and therefore he should be having more teeth than his wives or alternatively his wives being less intelligent as they were not philosophers should be having fewer teeth than men like him.

What Alexander the Great thought cannot be proved or disproved .Now if someone says 60% of Americans are suffering can any one prove they all ate ADA diet or they ate junk food? Any thing can be said without data and authenticated medical opinion. It is a gaffe to be discarded for any serious debate on diabetic health.

• Can you prove they are not on ADA/AMA/AHA diet - High Carb Low Fat?

if not, then it is presumed that they are on HIGH CARB LOW FAT Diet as that's the rule there since 1980's. Check USDA Pyramid, that's where it all started. That pyramid FAILED to control anything (At least Americans agree that's why they replaced with another eye wash -- Plate). Or do you have any hypothesis for USDA Food pyramid being a failure?

There's a lot lot many data of Americans and diabetes where even socio economic conditions are linked because CARBS are CHEAPEST (but not the best) to survive on.

Do you believe in medical reports? I think N=1 of a millions of diabetics on LCHF across the world gives a sample size 200 times bigger than the largest trial that LOW fat theory that ADA pushes. ADA doesn't want to do a LCHF trial (LC is not 40% carbs) as they know how High Carb Low fat 12 year trial on diabetics FAILED to provide any CVD/CHD benefits, despite exercise. I am least surprised that few people selectively ignore that.

yes low fat theory is also a "gaffe" when it is evident across the world that it has lead to serious health concerns - obesity, diabetes, chd,cvd, cancer etc. Everything is on the rise. Quantitative discussions sound more convincing than qualitative as numbers leave no room for personal opinions.

• Further to my reply:

This report summarizes the results of that analysis, which indicate that, during 1971--2000, mean energy intake in kcals increased, mean percentage of kcals from carbohydrate increased, and mean percentage of kcals from total fat and saturated fat decreased (Figures 1 and 2).

So with carbs increasing and fats decreasing diseases have gone up right -- everything including obesity, cancer, cvd/chd, diabetes, hypertension?

I love quantitative discussions rather than qualitative ones. rest you can dig out as to when USDA pushed Pyramid and when it failed.

I rest my case, though no one against LCHF ever answered my question. So I preferred to answer it with "proof" and not "opinion". This should possibly explain why 50% Americans above 60 have metabolic syndrome -- increased carb and lowered fats.

During 1971--2000, the prevalence of obesity in the United States increased from 14.5% to 30.9%. Why? carbs increased fats decreased. Aaah the new keyword - sedentary lifestyle, a word used to "conveniently" cover the failure of diet and blame the patient.

And, here's the macro-nutrient breakup per capita:

World: 2780 kcal/person/day (Carbohydrates: 63%, Proteins: 11%, Fats: 26%)

Developed countries: 3420 kcal/person/day Carbohydrates: 53%, Proteins: 12%, Fats: 34%

Developing World: 2630 kcal/person/day Carbohydrates: 67%, Proteins: 11%, Fats: 23%

Sub-Saharan Africa: 2240 kcal/person/day Carbohydrates: 72%, Proteins: 10%, Fats: 19%

Central Africa: 1820 kcal/person/day Carbohydrates: 75%, Proteins: 11%, Fats: 26%

These are not my numbers :)

• dear raoji,

i rarely read those remarks except inadvertently sliding down the page.

they dont contain any scientific content.

copied from some forum and pasted incessantly.

wastage of time to respond.

some times i just mention because many newcomers are lured into the wrong diet.

my position on diet or drug or anything in diabetes is this:

follow the great experimenters ,scientists -doctors.

if it does not work search for alternative medicine like ayurveda etc.

for example.

it is said in the American arthritis foundation that there are homeopathy meds ,you can try for osteoarthritis.

a patient

diabetic should try in a sequence.

1] life style change. 2]tablets, 3]insulin.

in weight reduction,

try low carb diet if nothing works.last option.lchf not mentioned anywhere.

it is just an orphan term in the science parlor..

it is a crime to lure some young person to advise to eat high fat.

administrators of the forum should ban them.

the highest crime they do is to prevent indians from reading the topmost websites on diabetes.

they have evil intentions.

how can a person say:

i was on ada diet and failed, switched to lchf

if his condition started 3/4 years ago ,

and ada began advocating no special diet some 20 years ago.

ada diet:

the same food as that of the nutritionists advice for a healthy man for diabetics

some 20 years ago.

simply copying and pasting.

no one ever said:

i tried a balanced and limited diet but failed .so shifted to lchf

because they do not know carb counting!!!

two years ago when i started an initiation for it,

i found them ignorant or half learned of of carb counting.

they just reduced their over eating ,

got some benefits and named it lchf.

good luck

• Can someone from Mayo Clinic answer why 50% of Americans above 60 are having Metabolic Syndrome. Oh no Sedentary lifestyle and BMI talks please. They are irrelevant. Yes "High CARBS" are a red rag to a diabetic for sure. Millions across the world on LCHF diet prove Mayo/ADA/AMA/AHA wrong. Not sure why they are called "best" (and by whom) when they just cannot technically answer about metabolic syndrome and just find refuge in sedentary lifestyle and BMI.

35% of Americans are afflicted with this syndrome.

So Mayo/ADA/AMA/AHA is one of the worst sites when it comes to dietary advise.

Can someone at Mayo also answer why LCHF improves LIPIDS to an extent that people go off STATIN DRUGS ALSO and not just for a year or two but for decades, despite eating high saturated fat. Only thing that they come back with is decade old lies based on what one man proved through a manipulated study only to let Mc Govern committee push High Carb Low fat diet politically and made th whole world sick in few decades. Now same science is proving (though money and politics of course) that GMO is best thing under the sun.

Mother's milk is around 38% carbs and 58% fat. This is when an infant's brain uses 40% more energy than a grown up. So, adults need at least 40% less carbs than an infant.

• To my knowledge,brain develops fully by the age five.The main requirement for brain development is protein and protien deficiency before age five is most likely to result in under development of the brain which cannot be repaired in later years even with better nourishment.So ,it is i natural that a child utilizes relatively more energy than an adult.As a person's body grows the brain also grows but it's development would be complete by age five.

• Brain is 60% FAT. Mother's milk has lower protein ~7% IIRC, and yet during the six month of breast feeding the brain keeps developing very sharply. Agreed on protein deficiency though, which is needed for bone and muscle growth. Psychological brain development continue till age of five - Sigmund Freud - so by age of 5 everything is sealed and that includes adults behavior even psychologically.

That said, adults will need 40% less carbs from baseline of 38% for sure. So that makes it 22.8% carbs. We hit for 20% carbs on LCHF. Lesson learned from mother nature.

BTW, mother's milk 60% of protein is whey, whereas baby milk powders is loaded with casein -- hard to digest than breast milk. just touching upon this to showcase how industry fools in name of "great packaged food"

Also, carbs in mother's milk is primarily lactose which is broken down to glucose and galactose. Galactose is needed as valuable nutrient for brain tissue development in the initial development stage.

• dear ramana,

whatever is the nutrient requirements for brain ,

one thing is universally accepted and proved.

protein contans a nitrogen molecule

and thus cannot be constructed from fats or carbs.

on the contrary fats are constructible from carbs.

only some 5 grams from efa -linoleic acid- is requird from outside through food.

but it is better to give the recomended fats and foods to the child and of course adults too.

.the reason:

a reconstruction is work load for organs and cells..

ignore the person who scatters some knowledge picked from unauthentic forum visits.

learn from the right websites is the only solution.

good luck

• Learn from mother nature. She cannot be influenced by any website. That's why mother's milk is not High Carb Low Fat. If genuine websites were right, 50% of Americans above 60 would not be suffering from metabolic syndrome. There's hardly anyone healthy on a so called healthy diet.

Even conversion of carbs to FAT is reconstruction. That's why we diabetics on LCHF don't eat too much carbs, we prefer to eat FAT and in turn get great health on less drugs :)

• Do you think only American are on carbs diet and not of other continent peoples,metabolic syndrome may due to other causes, do not try to mislead peoples by your self created ideas.

• Sir it is not self created idea. Mother nature created it that way. Mother's milk is not High Carb Low Fat, despite a newborn's brain needing 40% more energy than adult. If people who switch to diet that we talk, they say they are being mislead I can talk. Others when they say that, it holds no relevance as they are talking with no personal experience, so I let it pass.

As for data, well, try and get data on metabolic syndrome from any other country. It will match the same.

Ok, next question:

Why has obesity doubled between 1980 and 2008 across the world. It's WHO global data. 1980 is almost the year when this low fat "Fashion" started being pushed politically Mc Govern committee based on one man's opinion which he formed after rejecting 15 out of 22 countries data.

Please answer questions based on numbers. I am waiting for inputs on obesity rise across the globe now. India's CVD/CHD problem rise is one of the highest ... why? Too much CARBS for sure.

At the end of the day what matters is reduced dependance on drugs and yet better medical reports. Whatever we talk, helps diabetics to achieve that. Others have not even talked about their diets at all.

• sharmaji,

just note the total ignorance of the recapitulation theory.

recapitulation continues till one becomes a full human, probably.

in other words a zygote and the fetus will be more biochemical functionally similar to an animal than an adult man.

at birth the mother milk is full of carbs. literally no fat.

fat rises and in course of time the carbs go down and the total density also falls.

it is paradoxical?i had used a nicholson hydrometer to varify this[lacto meter]

good luck

• I have never heard about LCHF diet ..I don't know why few persons are promoting LCHF on this site. LC (Low carb) makes sense. High FAT(HF) DIET..NOT clear. No known study i have come across which says high fat is good for our body. Except for Sumo wrestlers !!

• Well, you can find a lot about it if you search. Agreed it may be new for many, but that doesn't make it alien. Eating CARBS makes one FAT. Eating fat doesn't. Turkey is fattened by feeding corn not butter.

You can search old posts here and find how it helped diabetics attain better LIPIDS, better sugar control on far less or zero drugs. You can go through posts/links on following url's whenever you have time :

LCHF works and it works great for 9/10 who switch and see it themselves for decades and decades. Why there are no trials I have alredy stated in one of the posts recently so not repeating it here.

What are your sugar (FBS/PPSBS/A1C), lipids and drugs that you take, presuming that you are diabetic?

• Quote __________No known study i have come across which says high fat is good for our body___________

You can't find it doesn't mean that there is no study. :)

• Thanks for the links . I did find the given links very useful. Also is informative. I will get on with this . Will go easy on animal fats and deep fried items.

You may also like...