A low fat research on diabeycs

Effects of 7 days on an ad libitum low-fat vegan diet: the McDougall Program cohort

John McDougall1*, Laurie E Thomas2, Craig McDougall3, Gavin Moloney1, Bradley Saul4, John S Finnell5, Kelly Richardson6 and Katelin Mae Petersen1

* Corresponding author: John McDougall drmcdougall@drmcdougall.com

Epidemiologic evidence, reinforced by clinical and laboratory studies, shows that the rich Western diet is the major underlying cause of death and disability (e.g, from cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes) in Western industrialized societies. The objective of this study is to document the effects that eating a low-fat (≤10% of calories), high-carbohydrate (~80% of calories), moderate-sodium, purely plant-based diet ad libitum for 7 days can have on the biomarkers of cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes.

The median (interquartile range, IQR) weight loss was 1.4 (1.8) kg (p < .001). The median (IQR) decrease in total cholesterol was 22 (29) mg/dL (p < .001). Even though most antihypertensive and antihyperglycemic medications were reduced or discontinued at baseline, systolic blood pressure decreased by a median (IQR) of 8 (18) mm Hg (p < .001), diastolic blood pressure by a median (IQR) of 4 (10) mm Hg (p < .001), and blood glucose by a median (IQR) of 3 (11) mg/dL (p < .001). For patients whose risk of a cardiovascular event within 10 years was >7.5% at baseline, the risk dropped to 5.5% (>27%) at day 7 (p < .001).

A low-fat, starch-based, vegan diet eaten ad libitum for 7 days results in significant favorable changes in commonly tested biomarkers that are used to predict future risks for cardiovascular disease and metabolic diseases.

3 Replies

• there is a typing error in heading.It should read: "diabetics"

• Thanks for everythingli have a lot of complicated things I am taking over 7 medications I can't explain my selfe because of lack of English. I need a lot of help from out ther.anyway thanks for a saport I get.

• Whilst it's true that the Western diet is the cause of most chronic disease, this is not conclusive proof that a low-fat vegan diet is the healthiest alternative.

The fact that we need vitamin B12 betrays the fact that our nature is to have at least some animal food.

You may also like...