sweet potato is low gi . surprised? it is as low as 46,if just boiled.whereas potato has gi 56 though both carry almost same amount

of carbs. these values depend on the variety[ of potato or sweet potato.].

however 46 by itself is considered low gi.

"Glycemic Index of Sweet Potato

The way you prepare sweet potatoes makes a difference in their GI. The GI of a 150-g sweet potato, boiled with its skin for 30 minutes, is 46. That number rises to 94 if the same sweet potato is baked for 45 minutes. These dramatic differences come from the way the starches in sweet potatoes gelatinize during cooking. Foods that turn viscous, or jelly-like, in your digestive tract have a lower GI because the gelatinous substance slows the release of the nutrients in the food. Baking your sweet potatoes instead of boiling them changes the quality of their starches and transforms this root vegetable from a moderate-GI food to a high GI-food."

1 Reply

• dear happening,

its biochemistry in detail is not known to me.

the same amount of amylopectin, i think, it contains as in usual potato. but i suppose

it is the gelatin like formation that reduces the gi.

but the gi number 46 is less than

usual rice and wheat.

so my presentation.

those who want to experiment ,

suppose it as containing same amount of starch as in potato and measure the bs rise after meal.

but remember there has been a lot of controversies about the gi of a food.the time, the composition , quantity of the meal and so on.

but only some 20 years ago the rest of the world began accepting the view of American Diabetes association.

good luck

You may also like...