DM ii

I have been advised to undergo cataract surgery for left eye,but, despite medication my BS readings are FBS 155 and PPBS 200. Now, my Dr has advised me to take T zetamet 2 a day and insulin aspart,10 units each, thrice a day for 10 days and then go for the blood test. Kindly comment, if this line of treatment is ok since I have been advised to undergo this surgery ASAP.

19 Replies

• If you are not controlling carb intake it will be difficult to control your high BS levels. What is your daily diet?

• Breakfast @ 9AM: 2 thin chapaties (prepared from mix flour of barley, black gram and wheat in equal proportion),2 whole egg omelette with 1 slice of cheese and some vegetable.

Lunch@2PM: 1TSP rice, vegetable, dal, 2 thin chapaties as stated above, green salad, 50ml curd and 1/2 apple or 1/2 orange or 100 gm papaya.

Dinner@ 9PM: Same as for lunch except rice and curd.

I also take 10 almonds soaked overnight and 1seed of walnut, in the morning.

I take about 100 gm of nuts during the day.Take green tea, first in the morning followed by normal tea 3 more times during the day ( all without sugar)

Had been taking VCO with black coffee once a day for a month,but, have discontinued now,for last 2 weeks.

• Try to reduce chapatis. Replace it with cooked sprouts. Remove rice like fast acting food items. If you can do carb counting then try to restrict it 100-120gm daily.

• I have now reduced the size of chapaties keeping the quantities to same.

Have added fats in the form of omelette and 125 ml of whole milk at night.

I am already underweight by 4 kgs,so, do not wish to lose more on that. How about switching over to Khapali gehun dish for breakfast as advised by Mr S George ???

• No need to reduce calories. Food items have to be replaced. You can replace Khapali gehun for chapatis. It may help in controlling your high BS levels.

• I have seriously thought of switching over to long wheat dish for breakfast. Searching in Navi Mumbai market where it could be available.

Thank you for your valuable advice.

• Thanks, Meetu. I'm trying now to reduce chapaties and replenish these with more salads and plan to have only "Long Wheat" dish for breakfast. Once I have reduced carb intake, will start taking 2 tbsp VCO with black coffee as well. Nuts, as I stated earlier, I take fistful 3 to 4 times a day, everyday.

• Blood Sugar level should be low enough at time of surgery and some part of recovery process. Wish someone who has gone through a similar episode shares the experience.

• It could get yr sugar levels down temporarily. U HV not mentioned how long you r on medications aand what all r u taking? U can call me or meet if u r in Hyderabad on pH 09346448950.

My sincere suggestion is PL look for a permanent solution rather than quick fix or temporary solution. Sanjay Ghotikar.

• dear chandra,

for all surgeries ,not only cataract,it is advised to take insulin,.

some people have a belief that once you begin insulin, full life time you have to go for insulin. there is nothing like that.

it is a myth.

in your case the possibilities of infection is least .in the eye, for cornea and the lense and the entire line, upto the retina there is a blood barrier. as such infection is least[in my opinion.]

they just cut the cornea,[laser].

insert the folded implant lense.

finished. no stiches.

inspite of all this simplicity go for the doctors advice for aspart insulin. 3into not make a mistake.

when you are on insulin do not play with food type and quantity.

if you do not know carbohydrate counting , just ask the doctor how much food and what food you should take.then by trial find out the the food needed

for this 10 units.

remember, your fbs will be determined by the tablet in your case.

good luck

• But, the eye surgeon has advised me to lower m FBS to below 120 or else they would not perform the surgery. This is one of the top 5 eye hospitals in India, therefore,I have to trust them for my own good and follow their advice.

• Certainly you have to follow doctors at hospital but you have to see how they are treating your high BS level. Sometimes they will give such a treatment that your BS may have roller coaster ride.

• They have not prescribed me any medicine, but, my own physician has, in order to see that my FBS falls to a suitable level that will be acceptable by opthamologist before attempting the cataract surgery.

Thank you, for your valuable comments.

• yes.

they will not take a risk if your fbs is high.or any bs.

fbs has to be preferably near 100 as per ADA for healthy men.

the insulin they prescribed is for the short term -ie, aspart.its effect cannot travel across the night.its duration of action is for 4/5 hours only.

in your case

they have not prescribed the long acting insulins like Lantus (insulin glargine] 20 /24 hours

so i thought the tablets will take care for the night.especially when it contains metformin.

i have not advised against the doctor.

i give only the advices that any professor of medicine gives, because all i learn is from articles written and edited by a group of GREAT professors of universities -medical colleges.

indiacratus means -from the great universities of the world.

when i say there is a blood barrier from cornea to the retina , it should be there in the bok.i may read some low level weblinks, but i dont advise on that basis or my own opinion. see, i put in bracket in the earlier response-my opinion regarding infection.

i think i have cleared the doubt.

good luck.

• Thank you, so much.

• To reduce BS level, among other things, physical activity is also equally important. Increase physical activity/exercise like brisk walking, etc. and see if there is improvement.

• Chandra sahab , I agree with India cratus that by taking Insulin during operation is no harm, and later follow LCHF diet in toto.You are following it partially. Change Khapli Gheun in your breakfast. change to salad regime. I wish you decrease in BS and a successful operation and normalisation of BS afterwards. Thank you.

• Thank you very much.

• Thanks to you also for replying.May God help you to over come all the problems related to your operation and good sugar level after operation. Karim

You may also like...