Is Alcohol is injurious to diabeitc Patient?

Many viewers have asked whether Alcohol is injurious to diabetic patient. In what way the Alcohol effects a diabetic patient? Some fo the our viewers are habituated by taking a few pegs daily, in these cases if he is a diabetic, how will he control his sugar level?STOP DRINKING is the only solution?, I would like to get response from various quarters of people, who has overcome of diabetes.

DATED: 25-08-2013.

Last edited by

5 Replies

• Here are some other ways that alcohol can affect diabetes:--

* While moderate amounts of alcohol can cause blood sugar to rise, excess alcohol can actually decrease your blood sugar level -- sometimes causing it to drop into

dangerous levels.

* Beer and sweet wine contain carbohydrates and may raise blood sugar.

* Alcohol stimulates your appetite, which can cause you to overeat and may affect your blood sugar control.

* Alcohol can interfere with the positive effects of oral diabetes medicines or insulin.

* Alcohol may increase triglyceride levels.

* Alcohol may increase blood pressure.

* Alcohol can cause flushing, nausea, increased heart rate, and slurred speech.

• Respected Gangadharan Nair sir,

Thank you very much sir for providing useful information., which I was not aware so far.

DATED: 28-08-2013.

• High triglyceride level in the blood is a risk factor for pancreatitis.

Chronic alcoholism is a risk factor for gouty arthritis.

• In my opinion taking any liquor is not different from taking sugar. Better stop it if you want to save your vital organs.

If you cure your diabetes like me, you may be able to take it moderately afterwards.

As far as I know alcohol is formed by fermenting starchy substances & the basic molecules of both are glucose. More over the liver converts alcohol to glucose the moment it enters blood stream & pumps back glucose to blood. That is why liquor gives energised feeling. Liquor consumer gets kick when alcohol intake rate exceeds liver's conversion rate. When this happens excess alcohol continue to circulate in blood and reaches brain and impairs the normal brain-muscle communication & co-ordination.

I can not imagine a sugar-free beverage (alcoholic drink). If at all some manufacture claim so it will me some sort of an intoxicating chemical; it may take to addiction.

If you take the juice of one or two fresh lime daily, You will be fresher, liquor capacity & craving will come down & the common cold will leave you for ever. THIS IS MY OWN EXPERIENCE.

• Dear Shooter George,

Thank you very much for your advice.I am not addicted to alcohol at all, just I was curious to know what are the disadvantages, if one consume 100ml-200ml of red wine or XXX rum as dose of medicine purely on health point of view. Since you have given a clear picture , I am convinced.

Thank you very much.

DATED: 02-09-2013.

You may also like...