WHAT SHOULD BE THE HBA1C FOR A NORMAL PERSON ?

I am 63 and till date not gone for HBA1C test. I would like to know what should be the normal level reading for a person of age 63 . Last year I was diagonized as Diabetes type-2. I would like to get reply from any doctor or well wisher, who can give correct picture.

Waiting for reply from the communiuty members or from any quarter

Regards

P. VISHWANATHAN IYER.

17 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I am giving a link for an earlier post related to your question.Please open it.

healthunlocked.com/diabetes...

• <7 is normal.

• Thank you Venkatramana for your guidelines for HBA1C .

Regards

P. VISHWANATHAN IYER

PHONE: 080-28600202

• What is LWMDR ?

• i have visited appropedia.org/diabetes but could

not get the details of LWMDR.please help

• Hi beena,

Thank you for the interest in LWMDR.There is a problem with using or copying the links given here. You will not find anything at "appropedia.org/diabetes" because this one that you seem to have used is incomplete. When you move the cursor/pointer on the link here it will change to a hand. Then you have to click the left button of mouse or click right button & choose "open link in new window" option to see contents. I have verified & the link I have given works. Please try once again & kindly let me know the result.

Thank you.

• As per the lab certificate of my HbAic test on9th july Below 5.6 Normal

5.6-7.0 Good control

7.1-8.0 fair control

Above 8.0 poor contol. From a diabetic speciality clinic. @Chennai

• For a diabetic patient it is desirable to have the HbA1c level between 6.5--7%. This means an average blood Glucose level of 135-155 mg /dl in the last 3 months. When the patient/doctor tries to have a very tight control of blood sugar and A1c it invariably leads onto frequent Hypoglycemic incidents. For a person of 63 yrs the WHO suggests a blood glucose (post prandial) range of around 180 mg/dl is acceptable. So an A1c of around 7.6 for your age is acceptable and a harmless limit.

• Dear Dr, Srinee,

Thank you very much for your valuable suggestion. I have made a note of the same. I will monitor the same and after the test I will convey the observation. of the lab.

Regards

P. VISHWANATHAN IYER

PHONE: 080-28600202.

BANGALURU-560098

DATED: 09-08-2013.

• Dear Dr. vsreeni,

on 15th August I had my test of HBA1C, FBS and PP. The HBA1C was 6.8% , FBS was 72 mg/dL, and PP was 152mg/dL.. As suggested by you and as per WHO norms my sugar level is under control.

This observations, what I am expressing is meant only for those, who maintain strict diet control , medication as prescribed by doctor and exercise and walking and I am sure all our friends will make a note and keep your diabetes under control. It is purely in your Hands.

Regards

P. VISHWANATHAN IYER

080-28600202.

DATED: 27-08-2013..

• its a very good control...keep it up.

• Drsreeni,

Thank you very much for giving timely suggestion. I will try my best to keep it up.

Regards

P. VISHWANATHAN IYER

080-28600202.

DATED: 28-08-2013.

• VISHOO_IYER: NON DIABETIC :4% to 6% is what the norm mentioned.dr v.sreeni has given an objective guideliIn In trying 2 stick 2 NORM we should not go into HYPOGLYCEMIA especially at midnight /while asleep.regards.kailadiyer..

• Dear Kailadiyer,

Thanks for your suggestion. I have noted the same.

Regards

P. VISHWANATHAN IYER

080-28600202

DATED: 27-08-2013.

• A1c 4-6% is not the correct range. 4% is equal to average blood sugar 35mg.and 6% is equal to 110mg.So its good to have a A1c between 6 -7. If the A1c goes below 6,we have to rule out any abnormal haemoglobin.

• vishoo iyer/dr vsreeni& all concerned: NORMAL RANGE MENTIONED IN THE REPORT OF NAVJEEVAN

PATHOLOGY LABORATORY-MEHSANA IS REPRODUCED HERE.( NON DIABETIC 4.0% to 6.0%) ----(GOAL

6% to 7% )=== (GOOD CONTROL 7% to 8%)-(ACTION SUGGESTED >8.0%) -these R an MD PATHOLOGI

ST'S RECOMMENDATIONS.personally I follow my ENDOCRONOLOGIST'S judgement &recommendations.

thanks.kailadiyer

• mr vishoo iyer: venkataramana has drawn your attention to an earlier posting.pl study the same very carefully.IT IS VERY INFORMATIVE AND ENLIGHTENING.wishing U well and take care to avoid HYPOGLYCEMIA as Ur

fasting of 72% is just above the threshold if U are on insulin/tablets.kailadiyer.

You may also like...