Diabetic Neuropathy and ALPHA LIPOIC ACID

I have come across complains of neuropathy across Questions section here.

ALPHA LIPOIC ACID has been used as main line of treatment in Germany for treating neuropathy instances. ALPHA LIPOIC ACID is also a strong ANTIOXIDANT and is also said to lower blood sugar. Dr Richard Bernstein (a type 1 diabetic since the age of 12 and now 80+ surviving on 30gms CARBS/day with A1C averaging 4.5/4.8) also recommends that diabetics should take ALPHA LIPOIC ACID and preferably with Biotin as biotin enhances the effect of ALA.

I don't suffer from neuropathy because i aggressively control my BGL levels through Restricting CARBS to 100gms/day and eating a High FAT DIET with liberal use of eggs, coconut oil, butter , cheese, nuts, yogurt, vegetables and nuts. I don't eat rice and wheat by and large. However i do take 300mg ALPHA LIPOIC ACID capsules for it's anti oxidant property. For neuropathy doses of 600mg + are recommended.

I order it online and this is one of the two supplements that i take (other one being ASTAXANTHIN).

I am posting few resources from web for information on ALPHA LIPOIC ACID & Diabetics/Neuropathy for information of all ....

Pl NOTE:

========

(1) This is not recommended for Thyroid Patients.

(2) If you are taking hypoglycemia medicines then you will need to watch your sugars as and adjust medication as this lowers BGL also.

livestrong.com/article/4221...

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/170...

community.diabetes.org/t5/A...

webmd.com/vitamins-suppleme...

umm.edu/altmed/articles/alp...

health.howstuffworks.com/we...

podiatrytoday.com/blogged/e...

care.diabetesjournals.org/c...

med.nyu.edu/content?ChunkII...

22 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Anup

I have also benefited by taking ALPHA LIPOIC ACID...the pain on my shoulders have come down and the joints are freeer :-)

So, i can vouch on its benefits...but i also take ASTAXANTHIN and vit D with Calcium

• Meena for once get you blood vit d levels checked. Not many doctors will order this but this is one test that one should get it done.

Yes Alpha Lipoic Acid is great. Astaxanthin too is great... as my wife says her knee pain is further reduced so looks like ALA and ASTAXANTHIN will be permanent companions.

• yes, i will get that done...now i am thinking of doubling the ALA dose...as recommended for people who are suffering from pain due to nerve inflammation. Once i have total relief, i will go back to one tab per day..

• DPN (Diabetic Peripheral neuropathy) patients in Germany were treated with a dose of 600mg+ ... In USA it is not a line of treatment as it cannot be PATENTED .. :)

I have taken tow caps a day morning evening and then switched back to 1. I do find shoulder issues so maybe will go back to 2 and see if that subsides.

So you are becoming adventurous now with supplements ... :)

Listen to your body once you do changes.

• Yes sir, the good feel created by the behaving BS is lifting the original adventurous nature too.. :-)

I am also planning to take one in the morning and one in the afternoon...i was acually too afraid to take checken after so long...but i started with very small portions added to vegetable cutlet...then little soup and now pieces...cooked in the usual way...:-)

• d ear anup

in medical stores ala is available with combination drugs like mythylcobalmin&folicacid

kindly inform me where I get ALA.

• I do also take alpha lopic acid and has got good result.

• I am using Alpha Lipoic Acid tablets - 1 per day since last three Years. The pain in nerves has disappeared . It is a magical relief. Must take benefit.

• I take 300mg capsule.

I also take ASTAXANTHIN 6mg

I am planning to add curcumin at some stage :)

Yes ALA should be taken by all diabetics provided they don;t have thyroid issues.

It also lowers BGL so adjustment in allopathic medicines would be needed.

• How do one can get ALA? Pl.

• I order mine online from mynutramart

300mg capsules in a packing of 240 capsules.

• VERY INFORMATIVE....unlike many useless posts....THANK YOU.

• My wife is a Diabetic and CKD patient and insulin dependent.She takes 55 & 50 units of 100 potential. Can she take this medecine.Her BS is under control,

• This is not a medicine so to say and is a water & fat soluble vitamin essentially.

That said i have no idea about ALA use in CKD patients.

• what happens if the thyroid patients use ALPHA LIPONIC ACID? Pls inform me.

• It interferes with thyroid medications.

diabetesforums.com/forum/ty...

• from kailadiyer:: COBAWEL D ingredients in this formulation ALA is 300mgs.METHYLCOBLAMIN,BENFOTIAMIN,

vitamins&minerals .PRESCRIBED BY MY NEUROPHYSICIAN. EFFECTIVE IN 3 MONTHS.;mfd by WELST

lifescience (P)ltd LAVARPUR-dist gandhinagar-382355.gujarat.FOR INFO ONLY.THANKS.kailadiyer.

• from kailadiyer:: COBAWEL D ingredients in this formulation ALA is 300mgs.METHYLCOBLAMIN,BENFOTIAMIN,

vitamins&minerals .PRESCRIBED BY MY NEUROPHYSICIAN. EFFECTIVE IN 3 MONTHS.;mfd by WELST

lifescience (P)ltd LAVARPUR-dist gandhinagar-382355.gujarat.FOR INFO ONLY.THANKS.kailadiyer.

• Thanks,still studding the websites mentioned,Alpha lopic Acid taken by mouth seems to be safe than its liquid form.

• We normally take 300 mg normal ones which is a mix of R and S, but not if a case of HYPOTHYROID.

I had stopped taking this for 3 months after 3.5 years but now ordered it again few days back as some skin problems resurfaced. So, looks like I will be on this for life. Better to spend 4 bucks a day on this than spend 50 a day on Invokana :)

• I am landing A1C < 5.6 always --- in close to last five years, only one A1C was 6.0 and I panicked :)

No I don't need glycomark test. This skin issue i have discussed at length on my forum somewhere. Doctors called it "SEVERE ALLERGY" and when everything (all cheap-and-expensive anti histamine drugs, eye drops etc etc) failed they wanted me to go on STEROIDS.

I refused STEROIDS and that's when I started Alpha Lipoic Acid and all the so called SEVERE ALLERGY went off in one month. Then, i tried going off repeatedly in between and issue used to creep back in a week. This time it took 3 months. I keep experimenting and keep watching signals that body sends out :)

You may also like...