CARDIOVASCULAR HEALTH - AVOCADOS, BLOOD FLOW AND INFLAMMATION

CARDIOVASCULAR HEALTH - AVOCADOS, BLOOD FLOW AND INFLAMMATION

Zhaoping Li, Angela Wong, Susanne M Henning, Yanjun Zhang, Alexis Jones, Alona Zerlin, Gail Thames, Susan Bowerman, Chi-Hong Tseng and David Heber.-the authors PUBLISHED:an article in the November 2012,issue of Food and Function on the TOPIC: “Cardiovascular Health”that Hass Avocado Modulates Postprandial Vascular Reactivity and Postprandial Inflammatory Responses to a Hamburger Meal in Healthy Volunteers More research however appears to be needed to determine whether these results could apply to other individuals.The article says The pilot study found that eating one-half of a fresh medium Hass avocado with a burger, rather than eating a burger alone, may curb the production of compounds that contribute to inflammation in healthy men. as per researchers at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), and supported by the Hass Avocado Board,

Inflammation is a risk factor that may be associated with heart disease. ,

The study investigated the effects of adding one-half of a fresh medium Hass Avocado to a hamburger (90 percent lean) on peripheral arterial blood flow (the movement of blood to different parts of the body) and inflammation compared to a burger without avocado.i

Either a 250 g hamburger patty alone (ca. 436 cal and 25 g fat) or together with 68 grams of avocado flesh (an additional 114 cal and 11 g of fat for a total of 550 cal and 36 g fat), a common culinary combination, to assess effects on vascular health.

Eating one-half of a fresh medium Hass avocado with a burger (90 percent lean), rather than eating a burger alone, may curb the production of compounds that contribute to inflammation.i

When fresh avocado was eaten with a burger there was no increase in triglyceride levels beyond what was observed after eating the burger alone despite the extra calories and monounsaturated fat from the avocado.i

After eating a burger with one-half of a fresh medium Hass Avocado, some of the after-meal effects observed after eating a plain burger, specifically inflammation and narrowing blood vessels, were reduced within hours.i

While these are initial findings from a single study, they provide promising clues and a basis for future research to determine whether avocados can play a role in the areas of vascular health and heart health.

SOURCE:

jn.nutrition.org/content/14...

avocadocentral.com/nutritio...

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • My Comments

I have posted this only for information .

I myself have neither eaten any burger nor Avocado in my long life al though I see sometimes youngsters eating burgers.

Mcdonald Domincos and various stalls on the streets sell the burgers in their fast food joints

I understand that basically a burger is a round shaped bread sandwitched with cutlets either vegetarian or meat based.and is a very popular snack or a meal.

I also used to see during my trips abroad during my professional career before my retirements specially in countries like UK, Germany,France,Sweden Italy etc.,that eating Hamburgers is a very popular meal by almost all there.in these countries.

Lastly i do not know if this research is sponsored by the Hass Avocado Boardand hence with motivation.

• Yes sir ,

It is applicable and relevant to the diet of cold countries .Our dosas , idlies and hapathis with locally available vegetables and fruits is more than sufficient . Two idlies give 100 calories . Two idlies with a cup of sambar and a cup of coffee is sumptuous meal for a diabetic and does not cause high sugar spike .What is the need to go for all those imported ideas of food .A small fruit belonging to the banana family known as yalakki balehannu in karnataka meets the needs of fruit .It is a wrong notion to completely cut fruit thinking of fructose and visceral fat.

You may also like...