Professional advice from a Doctor:If you have Diabetes-- Protect Your Heart

Professional advice from a Doctor:

If you have Diabetes-- Protect Your Heart

Om P. Ganda, MD, has been engaged in clinical diabetes research for more than three decades. He directs the Lipid Center at Joslin Diabetes Center in Boston, where he treats patients with complex issues related to elevated cholesterol and triglycerides.

He serves as a co-investigator on several ongoing clinical trials to identify better ways to treat people who have difficulty with exercise and diet control. Dr. Ganda is also an Associate Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School.

He is also engaged in studying why patients with type 2 diabetes have increased susceptibility to elevated cholesterol and heart disease.

He says that If you have diabetes, heart disease can be a serious concern. He advises that there are seven simple steps you can take to reduce your risk for cardiovascular disease.

Here are the seven tips

1. Control Your Weight

2. Get Regular Physical Activity

3. Don’t Smoke

4. Maintain Good Glucose Control

5. Lower Your LDL ‘Bad’ Cholesterol

6. Control Your Blood Pressure

7. Consider Taking a Daily Aspirin

The detailed advise can be read by opening the following link

2 Replies

• Whilst I agree with everything the doctor says – as we say in the UK 'there is nothing like stating the bleeding obvious!' What the doctor fails to address is that with many, diabetes is just part of their life condition. I am sure that whilst many of us would like to be able to fulfill all his requirements – life intervenes and makes it impossible. I suggest that the one thing most of us can do is to lose weight, just by adjusting our diet. As a pipe smoker for over 60 years, I find is easier to eat less as long as I can have a puff of my pipe!

• This reminds me of my sister-in-law who had severe diabetes , used to go for nut powder all the time .Though she was not exactly consuming a lot , she used to have it in the mouth all the time with ocassional bites . Now after seeing many people , I understand the compulsion of reaching out to nut powder in her case could be to control her urge to eat something every now and then . Even though the habit has its own drawbacks , she never listened to any advice but had her sugar under control with minimum medication , probably because of lesser calories .Suramo has to give a valid explanation for this effect .

You may also like...