Carbohydrate Counting

Carbohydrate Counting

Carbohydrate counting, or "carb counting," is a meal planning technique for managing your blood glucose levels.

Carbohydrate counting helps you to keep track of how much carbohydrate you are eating. You set a limit for your maximum amount of carbohydrate to eat for a meal, and with the right balance of physical activity and medicine, if you need it, can help to keep your blood glucose levels in your target range.

How Much Carbohydrate?

How much carbohydrate you eat is very individual. Finding the right amount of carbohydrate depends on many things including how active you are and what, if any, medicines you take. Some people are active and can eat more carbohydrate. Others may need to have less carbohydrate to keep their blood glucose in control.

Finding the balance for yourself is important so you can feel your best, do the things you enjoy, and lower your risk of diabetes complications.

A place to start is at about 45-60 grams of carbohydrate at a meal. You may need more or less carbohydrate at meals depending on how you manage your diabetes.

You and your health care team can figure out the right amount for you. Once you know how much carb to eat at a meal, choose your food and the portion size to match.

- See more at:

5 Replies

• my understanding is the criteria of total calorie intake of food prescribed by doctor is important and within this you can increase or decrease the corb portion of food

• I am not competent to answer this issue.

• I also had same experience when I said about homeopathy . The doctor looked at me as if I am from a different planet and talking in a weird language .

• My point is ---- there is a ratio which if adhered to ceremoniously , like what our elders did , we can lead a relatively healthy life .

• saswathy

According to book"There is a cure for diabetes" by DrGabriel Cousens,MD, the vegan dieters following Dr Barnard's, formula of diet are able to achieve the same results as the ratio even without carb counting and with 90% plant based carb diet