Listen to Your Head, but Be True to Your Heart

Listen to Your Head, but Be True to Your Heart

Well, one theory has it, depending on what you point to, that you either are a head person or a heart person.

I’m quite certain I’ve been both a heart and head person for as long as I can remember. The interplay that goes on between the head and heart: It’s what scientists refer to as heart-brain interaction. It happens to be a subject of great interest today.

An important reason for this interest in heart-brain interaction in the scientific community is the tremendous amount of and constant communication and information that travel between the head and the heart. A lot of people might be inclined to assume that naturally, most of this messaging originates in or is carried out by the brain. Surprisingly, researchers say, the heart actually sends more information to the brain than the other way around.

Each of us, researchers say, possesses a heart brain. Great news! Two brains are better than one.

Still, isn’t it comforting to know scientists are confirming and discussing things so many have believed and felt deeply through the ages: The human heart is more than a mere organ pumping blood through the body.

I, for one, am excited knowing about this marvelous capacity of the heart, that it not only performs thousands of intricate tasks vital to my physical well-being, but also possess an intelligence capable of helping to guide me through life.

Many years ago, I began learning about heart-brain interactions and that that pang in my heart, or gut feeling actually was a signal of this wonderful intelligence and guidance. Then I chose to be more true to my heart.

Don’t misunderstand: I knew it would be foolish to routinely discount the years of fact-gathering in classrooms and my life experience. Now, however, I realized I’d always had access to this entire other wealth of information. Rest assured, I fully intended to start giving my heart its just due in my life. I began listening to my heart every day of my life.

Are you being true to and listening to your heart?

Being true to your heart can be a delightful formula for living the life you want to live. There’s groundwork to be laid, of course. Align what’s in your heart – a dream, purpose, goal or simply that logical next step on a journey – with your very next actions. That is being true to and listening to your heart. Then, employ what’s in your head: You know, all the nuts and bolts, your knowledge.

Here are some questions to ask yourself on your journey toward becoming true to your heart. They will help to inform you about what’s at the core of your being.

•What matters most to you in life?

•What’s important to you professionally? Personally?

•What are the values of the people you admire?

•What motivates you to put in more effort in your workplace?

•If you could do anything you wanted on Saturday mornings, what would it be?

Do you think you follow your heart enough, rather than your head? If not, is there something you can do about it?

Here’s a tool, the Quick Coherence Technique™, ( can use it whenever you like to clear your mind chatter and ease any stress you’re experiencing in the moment. Then use it in whatever you chose to do in life.Download The Inside Story:

( )

•Sara, from the HeartMath Institute

• 11, 2015

Last edited by

You may also like...