Rigidity and stiffness in my lower back, ... - Cure Parkinson's

Cure Parkinson's

22,254 members23,835 posts

Rigidity and stiffness in my lower back, Shoulder, and neck.

toronto1972 profile image
42 Replies

I am from Toronto Canada and I was diagnosed 4 years ago when I was 45. Just reaching out to find out about any alternative treatments you might have tried. It's pretty depressing to have this condition with no clear path to cure. Have you tried any alternate treatments? I have no tremors, however, my walking has become an issue. The major issues I am going through are rigidity and stiffness in my lower back, Shoulder, and neck.

42 Replies
jimcaster profile image
jimcaster

I have the same symptoms and no tremors. I know it isn't an alternative treatment, but carbidopa levodopa works well for me in addressing back and shoulder pain and rigidity, among virtually all other symptoms.

Smittybear7 profile image
Smittybear7 in reply to jimcaster

How much c/l do you take? I take 1 25-100 every 8 hrs. It isn't helping my tremors.

jimcaster profile image
jimcaster in reply to Smittybear7

I take one 25/100 carbidopa levodopa 4x per day. Usually one pill at 8 am, noon, 4 pm, and 8 pm.

Thal profile image
Thal

Along with my prolopa I use an exercise bike with moving arms. May invest in a rowing machine.

laglag profile image
laglag

High intensity exercise helps slow it down. I was 46 when I was diagnosed nearly 20 yrs ago and I'm still moving! I even did 9 holes on the golf course last week while on vacation.I go to a gym called Rock Steady Boxing. It's strictly for PwP's (Person with Parkinson's). If there's one close to you, please try it. I

I've been going since 3 months after they opened back in 2006. They now have over 850 affiliates all over the world. Here is the website: rocksteadyboxing.org

The earlier you start the better. Oh yeah, it's non-contact boxing plus lot more. 🥊

Smittybear7 in reply to laglag

I have osteoporosis. The RSB I went to had people punching bags . I'm a little concerned about causing more damage . I have a compression deformity at L2. They told me I had to have a release from a doctor. Your thoughts. Thank you

Boscoejean profile image
Boscoejean in reply to Smittybear7

Is the osteoporosis related to having Parkinson's? Has the doctor done anything to treat the osteoporosis? I have a friend who had treatments involving infusions but they do worry me. Another friend who had an issue with osteoporosis used a program that improved her bones that involved a combination of supplements. The doctor did xrays and her bones had improved. Most common knowledge seems to say this is not possible. I can understand your worries about some activities

TL500 profile image
TL500 in reply to Boscoejean

Could you tell us how or what supplements your friend used to improve her bones please? Thanks

Boscoejean profile image
Boscoejean in reply to TL500

calcium and magnesium in balance,zinc, boron, k2, D, potassium, silicon, and being careful to avoid all sources of fluoride - water and toothpaste and no table salt and she took organically bound trace minerals

jackritchie47 profile image
jackritchie47 in reply to Smittybear7

Not sure what you are taking for supplements but for bone health I take Vitamin D3 plus K2 (MK-7 form). Many folks are unware that the K2 helps get calcium on the bone and that Calcium and D themselves don't do it. Calcium Lactate is water soluble and pH independent so it is a very well absorbed form to take. You might also want to consider Silica, Strontium and Boron supplements too. I am in Rock Steady Boxing and find it very helpful. My neurologist says I have shown improvement in my PD by doing RSB. My affiliate has us do other things besides boxing. There is a lot of PT activities as well as fine motor skill activities.

laglag profile image
laglag in reply to Smittybear7

Yes, you do need a release from your doctor. I would talk to your doctor first especially if you have a bad back. As far as causing more damage, the boxing will not cause damage. Go to the website and check out the testimonials and/or watch some of the videos. Everyone loves it.

Thanks

Rupa88 profile image
Rupa88 in reply to laglag

I am glad that you are doing well.

Are you able to drive? Do you walk with cane? How much medication are you taking?

laglag profile image
laglag in reply to Rupa88

Thanks! I still drive and I do not need a cane or walker. My "on" times are only 3 - 3 1/2 hrs and they used to be 4 hrs.

The meds I take are:

5 -6 C/L 25/100

1 Azilect

2 Gocovri at bedtime

1 20mg Lexapro

Gocovri is very expensive but they gave me a discount to $20 per month until I turned 65. I turned 65 in August if they're still letting me have it for $20 a month. The lowest price I could find it was $3592.00 per month. I don't think too many people can afford that. I can't so I'm not sure what I'll do.

Gocovri is basically Amandatine at a higher dose and it's extended release. Respectfully, 100mg vs 274mg. I have been sleeping better since I have been taking it. I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or not.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Let me know if you find a Rock Steady Boxing near you. 🥊

Rupa88 profile image
Rupa88 in reply to laglag

thanks a lot

laglag profile image
laglag in reply to Rupa88

One thing I believe helps me and I think some other people on this forum take it and that is Emergen C. A few yrs ago, I had terrible pain in my thighs and groin area. I had it for around 2 or 3 months. A friend told me about Emergen C and it took about 3 weeks but it helped. I still take it most days. If I miss 3 days I can feel the pain starting to come back. 🥊

I've used that also after I take a sauna. Replaces electrolytes and minerals and vitamins.

Smittybear7

Chiropractor helps me. I have also been trying Tai Chi. Hope that helps.

toronto1972 in reply to Smittybear7

will try for sure

purplepirate profile image
purplepirate

I was diagnosed at 46 and at the time of diagnosis had received treatment for a rotator cuff injury (cortisone injection) which had helped with pain but I still had a lot of stiffness, and had also suffered on and off with low back pain, sciatica and femoral nerve pain which was later diagnosed as spinal recess stenosis. At the time I happened across Bowen therapy and didn't expect much from it but was persuaded to give it a go. I was amazed at the results, brought back full mobility in my shoulder after 2 sessions and really helped my back. Definitely worth a try if you can find a therapist nearby.

JohnPepper profile image
JohnPepper

Have you tried 'Fast Walking'? Don't think that your aches and pains will stop you from doing it. Using all your muscles helps them to recuperate.

Smittybear7 in reply to JohnPepper

What are you doing rainy days? Difficult to walk in the mall during the day.

JohnPepper profile image
JohnPepper in reply to Smittybear7

We don't have many rainy days, but I have a knee-length lightweight waterproof jacket that I can wear in winter or summer.

Racerk profile image
Racerk

Same exact problem that I have, watch the video and give it a try. IMO, is all about training different part of your brain to control your legs. I also force myself to walk and run slowly on treadmill, but be extra carefull ( have the stop button ready ) m.youtube.com/watch?v=Lohzw...

toronto1972 in reply to Racerk

great video

TL500 profile image
TL500

Have you seen High Dose Thiamine Therapy that gets mentioned here a lot? Seems help many people.I'm still working on it. Not sure whether I don't know how to do it or it doesn't suit me because I haven't found relief from high or low dose.

K

M-o-ggy profile image
M-o-ggy in reply to TL500

Hi there. The wonderful people on this site will no doubt help you.

My understanding is that sometimes, some people need to take minerals to enable the B1HCL to work. I think it is called refeeding syndrome

I take a good quality multi mineral/ vitamin supplement for this purpose.

The two experts are Dr Constantin who used B1 injections in his clinic. When word spread and he was receiving requests for information from people who could not travel to Italy so he developed treatment using pills. The other person is a Dr Longsdale who I believe is widely known for his treatof Beri Beri using B1. Whilst we do not have Beri Beri there isa lot of very useful information in his articles.

Hope this is of help. There are quite a lot inf on this site

TL500 profile image
TL500 in reply to M-o-ggy

Thanks. Have you got links for Dr Lonsdale's articles re B1? Thanks

M-o-ggy profile image

Hi there, It is a while since I researched this. I would like to think that I kept the articles When I feel better I will have a look for you

M-o-ggy profile image

Hi there. Just did a quick search on here.

This might be a good place as any to start. ‘Managing the side effects of Thiamine Supplementation : The Paradoxial Reaction’ posted by Kia17 I have not watched the video but lots of excellent interaction by the forum members.

Also realised that I have spelt his name incorrectly.

Best of all wishes on your journey

TL500 profile image
TL500 in reply to M-o-ggy

Thanks

Lyricist profile image
Lyricist

well you certainly hit a rich vein of advice. I am in a similar position. My residual issues of any real importance are stiffness of the lumbar and neck regions. I don’t think they are going to be touched by further medication but life is made bearable by regular strenuous physical exercise including cardiac, plenty of stretching, weights, leg muscle strengthening and boxing. Practice good posture and steady deep breathing and try to keep stress at bay as stress can undo the good work. I find physio gives temporary relief as last resort. I found that adding amantadine to my drug regime of C/L-dopa and Ropinirole helped with gait. I also agree with previous endorsements by others of B12. I am just grateful that my problem symptoms are manageable. Others are not so fortunate.

enjoy2013 profile image
enjoy2013

Aim to follow as many of these advises as possible. Also eat enough, including ENOUGH proteins (NOT much protein). Take a multivitamin treatment to better support yourself. And don't forget omega 3. Number 1 though is exercising. Exercising enough (again, not too much), aiming for 150 min of intense exercising and 150 min more relaxed, shall improve your body response to Ldopa.

Powerforparkinsons.org are great.

I was also diagnosed at 45, in 2015. I'm taking for several years 600-700 mg. My situation should not relieve you. Nevertheless, it's 97% stable .

Seek to have your mind at peace as much as possible Make sure you sleep.

PalmSprings profile image
PalmSprings

I have the same symptoms plus tremors. I found the combination of Rasagiline, carbidopa/levodopa controlled release and gabapentin worked best for me but I experimented with lots of combinations before landing on this. I also found for me protein really conflicted with the effectiveness of the drugs. I follow an intermittent fasting protocol to address many issues. I also pretty much follow a Wahl’s diet (ish) - no sugar, no dairy, no gluten and 8 to 10 veggies a day. I have also found exercise is mandatory for me. I know I had Parkinson’s when I was 45 but I was diagnosed at 55 and I am now 63. Also, Canadian from Vancouver. The first year is the roughest. All the best and I hope you find somethings that work for you! Cheers!

GregSurfs profile image
GregSurfs

Lots of great suggestions here. Í to have back issues. Two things that helped me: get to the gym. Start a program under the supervision of a trainer if possible. Two: somewhat to my surprise, acupuncture worked for me in relieving pressure in my upper and lower back. Good luck!

PD10123 profile image
PD10123

(Canada) As my husband has signs of Parkinsons and wishes to address this issue naturally I recently received a vibrating plate. Note: Due to knee problems his physical activity is limited. I am impressed with the EILISON FitMax KM-818. There are a variety of exercises and settings benefiting improved balance, postural control, increased bone density, muscle growth, etc. Have found vibration very helpful in releasing tension in tight muscles.

Smittybear7 in reply to PD10123

My husband bought a vibrating plate. It's supposed to be excellent for bone building for people with osteopenia and osteoporosis. It's also supposed to be good for lymphatic drainage and detox. Looking for information as to the benefit for Parkinson's. Any advice thank you

STEWBABY profile image
STEWBABY

HI. I AM ON THE HDT REGIME 3 GRAMS PER DAY SPLIT 50/50 BREAKFAST AND LUNCHTIME. I HAVE ALSO HAD REIKI TREATMENT AND BOWEN THERAPY FOR MYBACK AND HIP PAIN. VERY SUCCESSFULLY I MIGHT ADD. JUST STARTED ON A COURSE OF EFT (TAPPING). I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER AND LESS STRESSED. WORTH A GO!!

Smittybear7 in reply to STEWBABY

What is EFT tapping? Thank you

Sapeye2020 profile image
Sapeye2020

The best is to keep moving as much you can . REGULARLY,,,!!

delboy381 profile image
delboy381

Hi, I will recommend Juice Fasting. First, do research about it and find what the best for you. I mean how many days you will fast and prepare for that.

rleedc profile image
rleedc

I would see a chiropractor. In addition, I would check out trigger point therapy (use a lacrosse ball), cupping and foam rollers.

You may also like...