“ Astrocyte dysfunction following molybde... - Cure Parkinson's

Cure Parkinson's

18,806 members19,423 posts

“ Astrocyte dysfunction following molybdenum-associated purine loading could initiate Parkinson’s disease with dementia”

GioCas
GioCas

It is a period of transhumance here in my country (Lake Como), so it happens that a friend who currently defines himself as an "observer status only in HU" sent me this research linking purines with mobilden deficiency and neurological problems, but this only happens in humans and sheep due to a capacity they both share. At first glance, I mistakenly downgraded the study to an irrelevant thinking that normally no one has mobildenus deficiencies, but furthering the subject I found that this is not the case.

This study is very interesting and I quote:

Active In most countries, including the United States and the United Kingdom, geographic bias in dietary Mo intake levels would not be expected, even though it has occurred in the past in Guam. This is because the range of food consumed by people in most countries is sourced locally but sourced from across the country. In Guam prior to 1940 the range of foods an individual consumed was both locally sourced and locally sourced. The diet was simple and consisted of fruits and vegetables grown in local village gardens, as well as locally caught fish.24 From 1945 onwards, an increasing number of food items were imported to Guam from other countries, particularly the United States. The Guamanian diet gradually became more complex and eventually similar to that of the continental United States. In this regard, an adjustment of Mo's ingestion rate would have been expected and that is exactly what happened. The annual incidence of PDC peaked for males between 1960 and 1964 at 57 per 100,000 population and for females between 1970 and 1974 at 28 per 100,000 population. It has continued to decline and has fallen since then. at 16 and 8, respectively, for males and females from 1995 to 1999. These final incidence figures are similar to those reported for PD in California in the United States at the same time.”

Here is the link:

nature.com/articles/s41531-...

34 Replies

Good to know this. I checked and molybdenum is in one of my supplements.

I find it fascinating how biology has made use of trace elements - molybdenum in this case, and cobalt in the case of vitamin B12.

Despe
Despe in reply to park_bear

How many mcg in your supplement, PB? Our Mineral Solution, ReMyte, by Dr. Dean lists 11mcg which I imagine is not enough although we consume foods that have this mineral in ample amounts.

park_bear
park_bear in reply to Despe

From the source paper we have:

" the Mo content of the daily average diet in the United States is 0.07 ppm and that of the United Kingdom 0.04 ppm. However, CNS disease occurs in Mo-deficient sheep that are ingesting dietary purines, when the dietary Mo level falls below 0.04 ppm"

So it would seem that .07 ppm molybdenum is adequate. Typical human food consumption is said to be 3 to 5 pounds per day. So if we use 2 kg (=4.4 pounds) that would imply that 140 µg of molybdenum daily is appropriate. My supplement has 250 µg. There is of course also also some additional amount in the diet.

Another supplement to be added???

rescuema
rescuema in reply to Despe

Black-eyed peas. Be careful of overdosing on molybdenum - may cause copper dumping.

I blame glyphosate that chelates Mo along with other minerals.

healthunlocked.com/parkinso...

Despe
Despe in reply to rescuema

Rescuema,

Always there to help us. Thank you! Right now we are trying to determine what causes ankle swelling . Homeopathic doctor said he needs minerals. He started Dr. Dean's ReMyte but so far no significant improvements. We will add more potassium.

rescuema

Yes try more K citrate. However it may be even better to get a CBC blood test to see if something is off but your Dr probably looked into that already. Remember what I said about mannitol - try lowering or take a break from it and up ubiquinol.

Despe

Thank you. When he was taking additional K citrate, there was not ankle swelling, but don't remember total intake. He has had blood tests and everything seemed/seems fine. His Vanderbilt cardiologist said ankle swelling is not heart related, but different factors contribute to it. He was OK with more potassium. I will have him stop or lowering his mannitol intake.

rescuema

I was recommending ubiquinol not for the heart but for renal support - very important for electrolytes balance. It increased my own GFR significantly when I increased the dosage. pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/208...

Despe

He was on COQ10 liquid, 1.200 mg. He then switch to Ubiquinol capsules, 600mg a day. His kidneys function is perfect according to the doc. I believe that having a freshly squeezed organic lemon in his water every day has also contributed to his renal good function.

rescuema

OK. I personally noticed the benefit at 300mg/day divided dosage, but back to 100-200mg maintenance dosage. Be sure to supplement along with a fat source/meal to increase the absoprtion rate.

Despe

Always after a good evening meal. :) However, he has PD and he probably needs a higher dose of Ubiquinol than you.

rescuema

In PWP, ubiquinol does tend to be depressed in the mitochondria especially with the C/L use. However, around 300mg might be a safer long-term dosage amount and I'm not aware of any trials showing the need/efficacy of a higher dosage for PD. Around 600mg ubiquinol is considered a high dosage - check the noticed adverse effects in PWP from the below 6 months small trial. I avoid taking it in the evening because it affects my sleep significantly.

clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show...

pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/260...

naturalmedicinejournal.com/...

Despe

He will love taking less pills! :) Mayo MDS suggested 1,200mg COQ10 so we figured in the reduced form half of that dose will be the equivalent intake. He divides it in two doses, 300mg after breakfast and 300mg after supper (each cap is 300mg). I will ask him to reduce to one capsule after breakfast.

Rescuema, one more question: Would it be beneficial to take a vitamins/supplements/minerals break for a few days?

rescuema

Yes, this is a grey area but I believe in cycling all supplements as long as you're not "deficient" in essential nutrients and eating a good diet. This is also to reduce the burden on the kidneys and liver, so I try to take only a handful a day myself and it really depends on what I ate for the day, which supplement, how much (HD?), and the total number of pills. I use Google Sheets to keep track of them to cycle the pills regularly (also based on bloodwork) and to note the health patterns along with glucose readings and use FitBit (Charge 4) for resting heart rate, sleep efficiency (great feature!), exercise tracking, etc.

My recent comment on this topic -

Healthline's take -

healthline.com/nutrition/ca...

Despe

Wow! A lot to digest and I don't have the time or your knowledge to use Google Sheets to keep track of the cycling. I did bookmark links you provided. Amazing!

I will have him cycle nootropics for sure, but some vitamins/supplements and minerals that one's body can't produce like Vitamin C, D, (especially now in the winter time), Zinc, Magnesium, B-complex, Glutathione, Fish Oil, Tumeric, Quercetin, Digestive Enzymes and Probiotics, he will continue to take, IMO. What say you? :)

I do appreciate your insight. Being a sole care provider ain't easy. I have no relatives close by except my son, a single parent, and 3 hours away from us. With COVID around we can't even see our few friends.

rescuema

Google Sheet is nothing more than a free online and less powerful version of MS Excel - I'm comfortable with it but others may not find the spreadsheet as user-friendly although it can be very useful. You can simply use handwritten notes to keep track or write on a calendar.

Ideally, we should be able to attain all essential nutrients through our diet, but food nutrient levels are not what they used to be because our soils are depleted (along with glyphosate, toxins, etc.) and people are consuming more processed/refined foods. Of your list, the ones I'd cycle would be turmeric and quercetin since they can be tough on the kidneys. I laid out in the Sun for 20min when it was sunny this week, so that allowed me to take a break from D3 + myriad sun exposure benefits. You shouldn't need to cycle essential nutrients in general, but I even cycle through different brands of multivitamins (they all include different trace minerals, many without Mo, etc) and take a day off here and there myself depending on what other things I'm taking. You're welcome Despe!

ConnieD
ConnieD in reply to Despe

Hi Despe! Does your husband take amantadine? I’ve read that drug can cause ankle swelling.

Despe
Despe in reply to ConnieD

No, Connie, he doesn't, no need to. How are you doing?

ConnieD

Trying to count my blessings and get through this pandemic. I’m working on being less stressed and anxious. Stress definitely exacerbates my symptoms. Hopefully some spring weather will help, it’s been a cold snowy winter so far ❄️. How are you and your husband doing?

Despe
Despe in reply to ConnieD

Oh, Connie, dear. Aren't we all under very stressful times? I never rest from the moment I get up till I go to bed, very late at night. Fortunately magnesium helps me a lot mentally and physically.

The South where I live had its worst winter ever. Cold and snow really contributed to our stress. Just like you, I am ready for a Spring break. :)

ConnieD

Yes we have all been through so much, better days ahead for all of us!!👍🏻

park_bear
park_bear in reply to Despe

If you already taking a supplement with trace minerals it should be there.

Fascinating Gio-Cas! Thank you for sharing this information, in this forum!

Thanks Ddmagee, it's always a pleasure to hear from you.

My friend in "observer status mode" :-) , says that it is better to decrease the "Red Meat" to avoid the purines, see PD incidence in Buenos Aires City.

Too bad I liked the "Florentine" steak so much.

lanticamacelleria.it/prodot...

I became a sheared sheep in the diet and in the wallet. ;-)

youtu.be/bX-JbahwXzA

ConnieD
ConnieD in reply to GioCas

Great info Gio! Thank you for sharing it!

Connie 🌸

rescuema
rescuema in reply to GioCas

If aiming for the strategy of avoiding purine, in addition to red meat, you'll also need to be careful of seafood, shellfish, organ meats, and even some vegetables considered "healthy" when eaten in high amounts - mushrooms, asparagus, cauliflower, spinach, etc. Portions matter and you're better off addressing the potential nutrient deficits to improve the involved enzymatic activities.

elevatehealthaz.com/wp-cont...

verywellhealth.com/uric-aci...

Despe

Is there anything we are allowed to eat, Rescuema?? :) At times I want to give up anything healthy I am accustomed to. :) :)

rescuema

Don't do that. Any avoidance should be directed to harmful chemicals and toxins, not natural organic foods. I do my best to avoid glyphosate, GMO, and processed foods. Other than that, eat organic foods and vary them as much as possible, and the answer isn't to avoid everything but use portioning to better control your diet - such as don't eat cauliflower almost every day. Eat some fruits for phytonutrients (but avoid overloading on fructose), eat some medicinal mushrooms (but watch out for purines), eat some meat for methionine, amino acids, and heme iron (way smaller than your palm, minimize TMAO gut shift), don't overdo mega spinach/kale smoothies (goitrogens, oxalate and kidney issue), avoid eating too much nightshades & green fried tomatoes (lectin, tomatine, solanine, etc) and on and on. If you avoid everything that's said to be harmful, you may end up with nothing to eat. Everything should be in moderation and a small amount of natural toxin can actually benefit your health through hormesis. It's all about control to avoid nutrient deficiencies and overload that can cause homeostatic shifts, not avoidance unless you must because you're allergic such as in celiac.

Despe

"Everything should be in moderation. . ."

This has been my mentality all my life, and I have written it here, too. I believe that is the key to one's diet and consequently to his health.

My ancestors, including Hippocrates, preached exactly that: EVERYTHING IN MODERATION. :)

rescuema

👍

Despe

Having said that, I don't mean eating processed foods and sugar. Everything must be organic, even that I don't trust, prepared from scratch and/or cooked in healthy oils. I dedicate every morning in preparing and cooking meals, just like my mom used to do. My father would go to the market and shop fresh seasonal produce and/or meat, fish, tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers and whatever else seasonal was available. Our desert was seasonal fruits. There was a lot of work and art in preparing meals then. . . They both passed away in their 90s relatively healthy and if my mom didn't have the flu vaccine, she might be alive today! My father never took any medication, he actually hated it like me. :) He had no heart problems, no diabetes, and no mental issues. He died as sharp as he could be. FOOD IS MEDICINE.

rescuema

I know exactly what you mean - there's a limit to "everything in moderation" modern days and that shouldn't be used as an excuse to indulge in foods that'll contribute to the metabolic burden on a regular basis. You are what you eat, but I'll exercise my butt off so that I could enjoy occasional small treats. Got to live a little. ; )

Despe

You are right about that, got to live a little. Once in a while I have ice cream from a local store. Good thing they are open only in the summer!