Faecal calprotectin content - Crohn's and Colit...

Crohn's and Colitis Support

3,504 members1,136 posts

Faecal calprotectin content

H256
H256

Hi all,

I have currently had some bloods and stool samples done as having some stomach issues over the last few months, The Drs have posted my blood tests on my online portal and the Faecal calprotectin content test came back abnormal at 91.0 ug/g but normal levels should be 0 - 50 - I cannot get into my GP for another 2 weeks due to them being over crowded and my DR is away - I have had several of teh blood tests come back abnormal not just this one.

Could anyone advice me from their experience what this usually means ?

14 Replies
oldestnewest

Calprotectin is a stool test that is used to detect inflammation, having high Calprotectin levels indicate that there might be some bacterial infection, and if you have IBD it indicates disease activity.

H256
H256 in reply to Fatima_sh

Hi Thank you for this - i read online last night if between 50 - 100 it is usually an infection or IBS anything over 100 could ne IBD - I do not think it is IBD as have not had any weight loss.

tried to get an appointment soon but Drs have nothing now until next month

Idalmis
Idalmis in reply to H256

Hi. I was diagnosed with IBD 2 years ago. I don’t have diarrhoea and i haven’t lost any weight. Calprotectin is 111. I am on 5000mg of pentasa daily. I still get really tired and I have achy joints and lower back pain but according to the gastro, my symptoms are mild.

H256
H256 in reply to Idalmis

Hi thank you for this!!

Everyone I’ve spoken to says it’s cant be IBD you’ve lost no weight etc but it seems I’m similar to you as aswell as other symptoms I’m tired all the time no matter how much sleep I get & I get aches in joints sometimes

Idalmis
Idalmis in reply to H256

I know. It’s like living your life in the slow lane. I have periods when I have no symptoms and I think they’ve got it wrong. I suffered from IBS C for years (colonoscopy were clear) and in 2016, they saw the colitis. I keep thinking it is all connected but gastro says no. Weird though.

H256
H256 in reply to Idalmis

It really is feels never ending & they make you wait forever for appointments & answers!! Very strange Atleast you have some now

Idalmis
Idalmis in reply to H256

I have been on omeprazole for years because of stomach acid. I now read Symptoms are due to low stomach acid. So I have stopped the omeprazole and taking supplements. I have been watching Dr Axe on YouTube. I just don’t know who to believe.

H256
H256 in reply to Idalmis

Everyone says different things never know what to believe

Mine was over 2000 repeatedly.

If it’s slightly elevated, it could be inflammatory, but if you take ibuprofen or other non-steroidal drugs it causes a rise in faecal calprotectin.

The bloods they’ll be looking for rise in White Cell count as well as CPR and ESR and they’ll check your Hb as well.

If it was urgent they’d call you right away for scope x certainlythat would be the norm x

H256
H256 in reply to michemoffatt

Hi,

thank you for this, the drs i am registered under are a nightmare to get hold of or book an appt, i requested the results via phone as was told this is not an option due to being to over crowded with patients.

I am going to wait until my appt an just log everything i eat from now until then.

Kes46
Kes46 in reply to michemoffatt

Hi. Mine was in 2000 levels last 2 weeks so done another today. I've posted new post for answers until go drs in morn. Got loads going on in tummy xx

H256
H256 in reply to Kes46

Hey they never repeated it just referred to me to the gastro who I saw Tuesday for the 1st time, she wants me to have a camera so waiting to have this done now

Hidden
Hidden

Hi, I wouldn’t be too alarmed with your result of 91, it’s raised but not significantly at all. Keep an eye on your symptoms, write a food and symptom diary until you’re able to see your GP and go from there. If you have an IBD nurse it may be worth calling her on Monday as she may be able to help answer any questions or queries quicker than the 2 week wait to see your GP. Good luck! :)

H256
H256 in reply to Hidden

Hi, thank you for this... I don’t have an IBD Nurse at my gp as far as I am aware as not been diagnosed with anything yet this is what the tests are for, just feels like forever waiting, I am doing a food diary to see how it goes x

You may also like...