Post B210k: the first long, slow run

My first run under the new regime! This is the run where I build up the distance and endurance even further. None of this close-to-12k-in 60-minutes on a Sunday till it's time for that. And what a difference the long, slow approach makes. I was only in need of the extra breath on one and a bit hilly stretches and really felt I was taking my time. However (there's always a but ...) I made a bit of a job getting that speed down to what I wanted. I'm aiming to slow to 6mins/km and to build my time upwards without pushing it. 13k in 1h14m or thereabouts is great (a good bit off my last Sunday) but it was a little faster in places it needn't have been. This has been my longest run but only 10% further than last Sunday. Timewise it was more so I really should focus on not overdoing things. Don't get me wrong: no significant aches and pains and really enjoying the run but I do need to heed the possible consequences. So, next Sunday should be aiming for the same kind of time/ distance but hopefully a little slower.

The rest of the week I hope to get on track: last week got in the one C25k+ Speed run which I plan to repeat this week. I do a 5 minute gentle run either side of the intervals to make 21 minutes. Last week was 3.8k which is probably right, so expect the same this week. Planning for a more intense Speed run once I have the one I want downloaded from Audio Fuel.

Governors' meeting meant I didn't manage the second midweek run last week so mean to get in a C25k+ Stamina run again to try to teach myself some better, more consistent pace. Again I will probably look to Audio Fuel to provide what I need or I may be slightly cunning on this and do a bit of cut-and-paste with the ones I have to produce the run I want. We'll see.

Thanks for reading and happy running.

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Wow, you had a bit of a job slowing your speed down to 6min/km? Blimey? I've spent the last 3 months trying to get my speed UP to 6min/km ;)

Excellent job, I've been upping my distances at the weekends now trying to increase my endurance up to 20km (last run was 11.5km) but I'm running at an average of 6:45min/km. It's real nice slowing it right down though, I enjoy it a lot more.

Goood work!

• it sounds like you enjoyed your sunday run :) I only seem to have one pace & dont think I slow mine down for my long runs so would love to know how you manage that. I feel as if Im an elephant running & so heavy on my feet when I go slower. enjoy your speed run. shelley x

• Nice to hear you've got a new training plan, can be difficult at first running to a different pace, enjoy your next outing.

You may also like...