ipodless

I have more or less ditched the ipod when running and I find that it is nicer being able to listen to the sounds around me (and safer too, nearly got flattened by a car once when I nipped onto the road to get around a slow pedestrian).

Oddly I also seem to run faster, without consciously putting in an effort to do so. Or maybe I am just a bit fitter now.

6 Replies

oldest β€’ newest
  • I like being able to hear too. (Though I only ever used one earpiece anyway - but the dangling other one was a bit of a pain!) :)

• I stopped using an mp3 quite some time ago and much prefer it. Got too bogged down with "how many more tracks til I stop?" and so on, and find I concentrate much better on what I'm doing now.

• Interesting comments, I ditch mine at Parkrun (I always run faster there but that may be the competition!) and usually jog on afterwards without, I do find hearing my breathing helps but can't explain how or why. I do need it for the Speed & Stamina podcasts though, I don't have the self-discipline to organise the intervals and pace increases myself.

• I often run without music and I find it great -- I run faster too funnily enough!

• I'm completely the other way - I get really bored without music, and I use the tracks to get me to the next 'whatever' e.g. "I'll just run to the next tree - oh, I'm there and only halfway through this track so I'll carry on to the end." Not that it's a struggle or anything :D

• I have only ever run for about 5mins without music but will have no choice in 2 weeks time when I run my first half marathon. it will be 2 1/2 hours at least, without music! its great to hear that so many of you run without it & dont find it too difficult without the distraction. hope it makes me run faster :)

You may also like...