Could Laura and her music actually be slowing me down?

Despite having graduated over a month ago, I have never actually run Week 9 with Laura, having abandoned her back in Week 6. Nothing personal, I just knew I’d enjoy my running more if I was listening to music I actually loved (or even no music at all). It turns out I was right.

I’m sure it’s great if you spent your youth dancing on the beach on Ibiza, but I had the delight and privilege of bopping around at live concerts to the likes of Bob Marley, the Clash, the Kinks, the Rolling Stones (and many others I was in no state to recall). Laura’s beepity-beep just doesn’t hit the spot for me, I’m afraid – it just keeps reminding me of the Countdown theme – three consonants and vowel, please.

Since I graduated I’ve been happily running for over 30 minutes, three times a week, ending up at the Ladies’ pond for a quick dip, in its increasingly chilly waters. I’ve done Speed and Stamina once each but decided I was happier just enjoying the sensation of running, rather than counting the beats. I’m still nowhere near 5k - the best I’ve done is 4.3kms in 43 minutes on my graduation beside the sea on the Isle of Wight. Although I tell myself I don’t care about speed, every now and then I get a sneaking feeling that I’m a fraud.

So on Monday I decided I would run week 9 with Laura, and even put up with her music, in the interests of feeling like a proper Couch25K graduate.

Off I set on my usual rate, not going too fast because of the ice and mud and slippery leaves. I’m afraid that when Laura told me I’d only done five minute, I gasped, ‘You must be xxxxing joking.’ But I carried on, knowing that I don’t having a problem running for 30 minutes and the five to ten minute stretch is always the bit I find hardest.

But when Laura said there was only ten minutes to go, I realised that I was nowhere near my desired end point. I had to take a short cut to get back to the Ladies Pond, which meant that my run was actually shorter than usual. I had run slower than I do on my own.

Now that is weird.

It’s back to the old rockers for me now. They obviously boost my adrenalin in a way Laura never could.

Skip

Featured Content

HealthUnlocked User Stories

How did you improve your fitness, general well-being or cope with your illness?

Share your story

Featured by HealthUnlocked

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I agree with you, when I run listening to Laura every record seems to last an enternity and they blend into one another, when I run to my own music I sing along (in my head to busy trying to breathe to actually sing out loud!). I don't know that I am quicker but I certainly enjoy my running more listening to my own music.

• When I started out my device I played my music on wasn't reliable so I made a 5k route I would run a n d only check my watch at the half way point. On naughty days when I checked the time for whatever reason it always dragged or seemed harder and lead to the possibility of me taking a short cut to.

Funny how knowing how long we've been running can play on our minds like that!

• Isn't it? I love it when I just go into the zone and suddenly realise I'm nearly done.

• Its interesting isn't it? I'm the complete opposite. I thought i'd be better running to my own music but i'm not, no where near.

With Laura i can run 5K in 30 minutes but on my own i don't manage it. Ending up neare the 4K mark and puffed out. I think it's because I sing along to my music but manage to zone out to Laura.

I definately find it harder going it alone

You may also like...