Is 4+mph fast enough to be classed as running?

I asked this question sometime ago and felt encouraged by some of the answers that made feel that I wasnt a snail in running terms.

I vary between 4.2 and 4.5mph but hope after while to try and increase my speed by 1mph for five minutes each time I go on the treadmill until I find a faster speed that I feel comfortable at.

Tonite I was on the treadmill for 50 minutes (5mins walking at the beginning and end and 40mins running in between) and covered 3.39km at an average speed of 4.2mph. As I am not much of a mathematician I would appreciate it if someone could tell me the actual distance ran in 40mins.

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I'm only on week 5, but I'm certainly counting 4+mph as running! I'm making running-like movements with my legs and getting out of breath. To me that counts as running :-)

• As far as I'm concerned if you're going too fast to walk then you're running. I've just finished W8R3 and felt I was still a doing a pace where a snail couldve passed me. Keep going and I'mn sure we'll get there.

• Assuming you walk at 5kph (3.1mph) then you would walk 833m in 10 minutes. So your distance for the remaining 40 minutes would be 3390-833=2557m, so 2.56k.

It is a bit unusual to find distance and speed measured in different units on the same machine, though.

You may also like...