50th birthday party last night - not such a good run this morning!

Hi everyone -

So I finally made it to the big birthday (mine) - this is what all this year feels like it's been leading up to - weight has been lost and fitness has definitely improved. Now I'm already very aware that I have to work to stay in this shape. Since the big day (Thursday) I feel like I've tasted the forbidden fruit (ie chocolate) and rather liked it - eeeek! That'll have to stop again (when I've depleted the stocks here that it is- never was easy to have a birthday just before Christmas).

However, we're here to talk about running and this morning, despite last night's gin, wine, food etc, I thought I'd better put my new Forerunner (thanks OH!!!) through its paces with my weekly Stamina run. I discovered a few things: speed is not only about bpm, although I was pretty pleased with 7mins per K I seemed to be getting. Next, Laura's first 5 minutes on Stamina is only 4 1/2 minutes (so last week when I thought I'd nearly got to 5k in 35 mins I'd done half a minute less...)...and finally a hot Thai curry last night with 2 G&Ts and wine etc is not good preparation for a 5k the next day. 4k (in 28mins) was enough for me and I came home to recuperate (actually plugging the Garmin into the computer and having a play).

My PB is 4.95K in what I now know is 34 1/2 mins so 5K in 35 should be do-able next time the weather, lack of niggling aches and pains, stars etc align.

So not a failed run, just a not-very-good run but I'm still encouraged that the 5k holy grail will be reached soon-ish.

Hope everyone else has has a good week - look forward to reading about them!

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

2 Replies

oldest โ€ข newest
  • But a year ago would you have thought you would go out for a run after a birthday party at all ;-)

Happy birthday!

• True - even 4 months ago I hadn't really thought of running as something I could ever try or want to do!

Thanks

You may also like...