After C25K: Is a rest day after every run still necessary?

I see other runners running everyday, with just one rest day in an entire week. So can I step it up now?

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Be careful when stepping up your training. Why not start with 2 days off per week and see how it goes, but always try and have a rest day after a speed session, your body really needs time to recover

• hi

since I graduated a couple of weeks ago I have upped my running to two days running in a row then one day off , so far with no ill effects I will keep that going for a few weeks and then maybe add another day into my routine. I think the key is to increase it steadily to avoid injury .

• I was wondering about upping my training days before I read your question, Rach. I'm toying with doing something a bit like ladybugw and running on Monday & Tuesday, resting Wednesday, then running on Thursday & Friday for 4 - 6 weeks and see how I go before I think about increasing further. There may be a little weekend run snuck in occasionally too.

• As long as you don't increase your total weekly mileage by 10-15% each time you should be ok. But be aware of your body and if there is any sign of overuse injury then step it back down a bit.

CaroleC

• Thanks everyone for your advice. :) I guess I will pick up incrementally - a day or two more at a time..

You may also like...